The perils of knock-out football and the Scarf-chucker at Celtic Park

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicating this article to my pal, Tommy Gemmell RIP...

Also don't miss the latest pics from Celtic Park - Paradise, The Holy Ground, Zero on The Celtic Star this morning and David Potter's next Celtic Star of the Decade will be up mid morning...

Dedicating this article to my pal, Tommy Gemmell RIP...

Also don't miss the latest pics from Celtic Park - Paradise, The Holy Ground, Zero on The Celtic Star this morning and David Potter's next Celtic Star of the Decade will be up mid morning...

To be fair the guy who threw the scarf was a wee teenager boy. Seen him doing it, probably had his first swally of 50/50, and if it was his season ticket he used for Europa ticket he will be the loudest when the nine is won, you know the type. Would not make a big deal out of it, and if it was his chance to go to a game via public sale, so feck, he paid his dosh drunk his pish and had a wee bravado act and see you later.

The scarf is such an important part of belonging to something bigger and greater than yourself.

That first scarf is a pledge of allegiance, not an empty totem.

Any scarf being chucked should be as a laurel wreath of victory, never as a symbol of shame or resignation.

I dream that one of my many scarves chucked landed in the possession (however short that time may have been) of one of my heroes and that somewhere in the mists of time, I had a fleeting connection with one of the greats.

Larry, who is a relatively new-found Celtic fan fully understands the significance of the scarf. It is inexorably linked to our anthems and it is more than just a fashion accessory. It is what associates one to the greatest club in the world and the more worn and tattered that scarf is, then the more valuable it becomes.

Love the scarf and the symbol it represents

To be fair the guy who threw the scarf was a wee teenager boy. Seen him doing it, probably had his first swally of 50/50, and if it was his season ticket he used for Europa ticket he will be the loudest when the nine is won, you know the type. Would not make a big deal out of it, and if it was his chance to go to a game via public sale, so feck, he paid his dosh drunk his pish and had a wee bravado act and see you later.

Exactly. 👏👏👏

Hahahahahaha at least he did'nae Huey on it after the bevvy.

I've shamed the scarf wie spew in the aftermath of 'Kerry-oot carnage' so the wee boy gets a pass from me

Don’t mean to be morbid but when my husband Pat was buried his scarf was thrown on top at his graveside and I can remember feeling that that was the rightful place for his scarf as it was a part of him that could never ever be separated from him. HH

Don’t mean to be morbid but when my husband Pat was buried his scarf was thrown on top at his graveside and I can remember feeling that that was the rightful place for his scarf as it was a part of him that could never ever be separated from him. HH
And why not take it back to paradise with him CR, our scarves are our colours and our gateway to greater things, and past glories.

Same wie the taps, Boab. Each tap had some kind of significance and served as a timeline through the good and the bad.

That's why the '67 tap is timeless. No adornments. No endorsements. No branding. No numbers.

Just clean lines and broad hoops that epitomised the purity of the football that that team played.

I've owned taps that marked a moment in time. Even though the 97-98 tap was not a classic in terms of design, it symbolised something far greater. Larsson's goal against St Johnstone, Burley and Lambert's hits against the huns. Stubbsy popping up last minute with that equaliser. Stopping they bastards right in their tracks.

Scarves still mean more to me. Most of my scarves were gifts from loved ones and have greater significance. I wear my Da's scarf now and that one is never getting chucked.

the type of fan who regards his season ticket and his scarf as a material possession...something he can brag about to his followers on social media...an ornament for his mantle piece

I nearly cried before but I'm hard as nails so I didn't.

My girlfriend - an English Liverpool fan with cultural Celtic affections - was messing around with my Spotify account and she played Daydream Believer by the Monkees. She's a sucker for a pop chorus and I am too, so she was surprised when I said I didn't really like that song.

It used to break my heart when the Huns sang that tune at dear, dear Tommy Burns, may Heaven keep him. They were in the middle of their financial-doping, and it was beyond the ken of an honest man to get near them, so they used that tune to try and shame him.

If we didn't throw our scarves in the middle of that hell, why would we do it now?

Larry, who is a relatively new-found Celtic fan fully understands the significance of the scarf. It is inexorably linked to our anthems and it is more than just a fashion accessory. It is what associates one to the greatest club in the world and the more worn and tattered that scarf is, then the more valuable it becomes.

Love the scarf and the symbol it represents
Agreed, Spherical, and thanks! I posted this around Christmastime and it stands true to this day. My first purchase was a standard green-and-white Celtic scarf, and it will always be around my neck during my football-watching days.

I've owned taps that marked a moment in time. Even though the 97-98 tap was not a classic in terms of design, it symbolised something far greater. Larsson's goal against St Johnstone, Burley and Lambert's hits against the huns. Stubbsy popping up last minute with that equaliser. Stopping they bastards right in their tracks.
I've started to understand that, too. I already have a home jersey thanks to a benevolent and trusted friend in Scotland who is a Celtic fan without peer, and thanks to the Celtic Store's sale on away jerseys, I purchased one recently which arrived yesterday. To commemorate a special moment this season, I ordered the away jersey with a player's name and number and the Europa patch on the sleeve: Ntcham 21, so I can always remember when we "conquered" Rome.

[I had them throw in a Treble Treble scarf as well, just because . . . but it will probably never be worn, but displayed in the house somewhere.]

Last edited:
i have loads of tops but only 2 scarfs hoops one and a green 70s celtic silk style scarf
one was passed down to me the other my 2nd hoops scarf first one got nicked outside the celtic end

daft wee laddies or fair weather supporters as boab highlights will be thinking a few days later ho stupid they were

Never mind the throwing of scarfs. Slippy is about to throw his team under the bus again. Tarts 1 the mugs 0

Back