The politics of the songbook

26+6=1

Now that the huns are finally seeing some censure for their vile output there is increased speculation that every effort of their allies will be focused on whataboutery in the hope of damaging Celtic.
Any possibility of success offered them is a serious strategic vulnerability. I am Irish and I consider myself a Republican so I don't consider songs like 'The Broad Black Brimmer' to be 'sectarian' but I accept it could be considered provocative. If Celtic were to be censured for fans singing it I would consider that an injustice as it's unlikely any British team's fans would ever be censured for singing 'rule Britannia' which is an ode to imperial domination and all that entailed. These 2 songs represent conflicting views of history and as such are divisive.
As Celtic fans we sing 'if you know your history' and certain songs are an expression of that but are they being used to educate? In some cases yes. Celtic fans started singing 'Grace' in 2016 causing Rod Stewart to record it and raise global awareness of Irish history. 'The Fields Of Athenry' tells a story closely associated with the circumstances in which the club was founded. Both tragic love songs set against historical events.
But some songs are more militant and could be perceived as intimidatory. Outdated propaganda like 'The Sam Song' has no place at a football match. Anything advocating political violence should be avoided imo. It could easily be argued that 'rule Britannia' above advocates political violence; which it does as imperialism is inherently violent but 'whatever Sevco gets away with' should not be our benchmark. I believe Celtic fans should take complete control of the moral high ground and eliminate anything that could be perceived as intimidating from the song book. And to this I would heretically add 'The Celtic Symphony'; which is nothing more than a Wolfe Tones cash in. If they could charge the club royalties for every time it is sung at CP they would. 'The Ra' can be perceived to mean many things; the IRA of Kevin Barry, the IRA of Bobby Sands or the IRA which shot Lyra McKee this year. As such there is too much ambiguity in the lyric imo.
There are other improvements to the songbook which could be made imo. The Irish National Anthem is 'Amhrán na bhFiann'; yes it was originally written in English but the only place you will ever hear it sung in English is at Celtic games. If you want to sing it, sing it properly and learn the Irish version. I also believe that 'God Bless The Pope' is an unnecessary addition. If you want to show your support for The Pope go to mass and put your money where your mouth is; i.e on the collection plate. Many Celtic fans are not Catholic or not religious at all so this is not relevant to them.
Relevancy should be the watchword when considering what is appropriate for the song book. What is relevant to the greatest number of Celtic fans and what will resonate most with them and also what will resonate most with the players on the field and spur them on to greater heights.

Bang on your holiness, all eyes will be on us in a desperate attempt at a tit for tat scenario ,

The difference is that the orcs only have sectarian songs to sing , we have plenty of Celtic songs , not rebel songs but Celtic songs , with the GB making up new songs all the time , let’s not give the press and the slavering cunts oxygen .
All eyes on us

Bang on your holiness, all eyes will be on us in a desperate attempt at a tit for tat scenario ,

The difference is that the orcs only have sectarian songs to sing , we have plenty of Celtic songs , not rebel songs but Celtic songs , with the GB making up new songs all the time , let’s not give the press and the slavering cunts oxygen .
All eyes on us

You only have to look at the way the whole stadium reacts to the Eduoard song. Imagine how he feels. There's 11 players plus subs; each should have a song. Not to mention those not listed on the squad; we need to let them and the board know we haven't forgotten them. And if you want to be political there's enough going on in and around the club at the minute to praise or protest.

We've all sung songs in our younger days and as we get older we now see them as cringe worthy and no place in a football stadium .

Will it change a doubt it ,we have some great songs and since the Ultras have joined the scene good songs have had the stadiums home n away bouncing ,but they still include the RA songs

No matter what way we change or what songs are dropped the media will find anything to tar us with it's in there dna ,,,,,,,,an orchestrated coughing campaign ,,,,ring any bells

To ma wee mind Celtic fans Can sing songs for 90mins without a hint of bigotry or sectarianism. Can they say the Same? No chance they "Normalise " bile as acceptable that's the difference. HH
Don’t know if you were listening to radio Scotland earlier Micheal Stewart got tore into billy EBTdodds and Derek mmm Ferguson about the newco and there orange tops although I see the daily record is calling them tangerine ?? quality listen showed them right up

Don’t know if you were listening to radio Scotland earlier Micheal Stewart got tore into billy EBTdodds and Derek mmm Ferguson about the newco and there orange tops although I see the daily record is calling them tangerine ?? quality listen showed them right up
Didn't hear it mate ....wee MS not slow on his Opinion. That's the whole point the refusal to Accept any kind of responsibility and the spotlight falls on the SFA now great init.??

Firstly this is as ballsy a post as I've seen in a long time PMM and fair play to you.

Secondly it's on the back of listening to HomeBhoys This Bhoys life with Jim Cameron (2/3 weeks back now). One of the best podcasts from a supporters view I've heard in a long time.

He tells a story of Jock Stein gettiing a few words with the 'ra' shouting element of the support back in the 70's or 80's(I think at an away game in Dundee). Basically saying the players don't respond, don't get lifted to these songs but will rise to the Celtic songs. Save the rest for the buses and the pubs.

I'll be honest I don't have an issue with the politics and never will but some do and it is a stick with which we get beaten.

I only have one song left I hate. The 'cheer up' song and it's really for one reason only. That lot used it against Tommy Burns. We stole it from them. We have never had to do that and nor do we need to. Bin that and I don't care about much else.

Gutsy post PMM. Respect to you pal.

You only have to look at the way the whole stadium reacts to the Eduoard song. Imagine how he feels. There's 11 players plus subs; each should have a song. Not to mention those not listed on the squad; we need to let them and the board know we haven't forgotten them. And if you want to be political there's enough going on in and around the club at the minute to praise or protest.
Yep the Wullie Maley included nearly anyone who had walked through the gates to play,

"'The Ra' can be perceived to mean many things; the IRA of Kevin Barry, the IRA of Bobby Sands or the IRA which shot Lyra McKee this year."
This is the only sentence i have a small problem with in your post, particularly the last bit. If you wanted to, you could find unsavoury actions carried out by the three groupings, but all believed/believe they were doing it for a just cause.
Otherwise i agree with your post.

During the 70's and 80's our supporters sang rebel songs to show our support to our brothers and sisters in the occupied 6 counties, but it's time now to scrap some of the tunes imo.
We are all proud of our Irish roots, whether it's family or our club, we can still sing our songs like Fields or Grace but I feel songs about the provos should be sung on the bus or a supporters club, I have no beef with anyone who supported the provos during the conflict, I supported them even though some of their actions made me feel extremely uncomfortable, I could stomach this due to the fact that the British Establishment was and still is a monster.
I feel our songbook is too heavily influenced by war tunes, I've read in the past quotes from volunteers saying while it was appreciated during the conflict, the time has come to stop singing these songs in football grounds, it doesn't mean you become less of a republican, nothing can change that, that is what you are on the inside no matter what songs you sing.

"'The Ra' can be perceived to mean many things; the IRA of Kevin Barry, the IRA of Bobby Sands or the IRA which shot Lyra McKee this year."
This is the only sentence i have a small problem with in your post, particularly the last bit. If you wanted to, you could find unsavoury actions carried out by the three groupings, but all believed/believe they were doing it for a just cause.
Otherwise i agree with your post.

The aim of my post was not to debate the validity of armed actions by any group claiming to be 'The Ra'; past present or future. I merely wished to point out that singing 'ooh ahh up The Ra' can be perceived as celebrating one or all of the historic IRAs or expressing support for a present or future IRA. That's something people should consider and determine according to their own conscience before deciding whether or not to sing along.
The original, written during the PIRA and OIRA's successor INLA campaigns, was not written to express support for those campaigns. It was written to cash in on that support. The Wolfe Tones hadn't the courage or integrity to cross the border during the conflict for 'fear' of Loyalist death threats but were still happy to make money off those facing real threat 24/7.
There are better songs which capture the spirit of that era and educate the listener. Aidan McAnespie is an example.

Members online

Latest posts

Back