The Saturday Star Supplement: 6th July 2019

Hi everyone, here is the latest release of the Saturday Star Supplement. I hope you enjoy reading this article and any feedback is great appreciated. The Celtic Star is the place to be.

Hail hail ☘️☘️

https://thecelticstar.com/james-pearsons-saturday-star-supplement-6-july-2019/

Great piece as always James. I'm with you on Lawrence Shankland. He's a player who has really blossomed since Aberdeen let him go. great season last season at Ayr especially the first half. Has that eye for a goal but there's a lot of commentators saying he's developed his all round game. You are right we should be scouting Tannadice this season to see if he continues that development.

Thanks Niall, appreciate the feedback ? Shankland has scored goals wherever he's gone definitely not in the amount of Ayr United but he knows where the goal is. 1st season at United I expect him to score 20 goals. If he does that then there will be suitors looking at him more forensically. I don't rule out Celtic having another look. He's over 6ft and he'll be 24 . Our coaching staff could easily mould him into Griffith's 2.0. It's a tough ask but achievable. He's on the radar and wouldn't be if he moved to lower league England.

Thanks Niall, appreciate the feedback ? Shankland has scored goals wherever he's gone definitely not in the amount of Ayr United but he knows where the goal is. 1st season at United I expect him to score 20 goals. If he does that then there will be suitors looking at him more forensically. I don't rule out Celtic having another look. He's over 6ft and he'll be 24 . Our coaching staff could easily mould him into Griffith's 2.0. It's a tough ask but achievable. He's on the radar and wouldn't be if he moved to lower league England.
If the truth be told my first impression was actually why United? He had English interest but perhaps it wasn't at Championship level and he felt staying in Scotland would suit his development better. I don't really know. he'll have genuine pressure to win at Tannadice though, it will be interesting to see how he handles that.
Keep up the good work James. Looking forward to these now.(y)

Hi everyone, here is the latest release of the Saturday Star Supplement. I hope you enjoy reading this article and any feedback is great appreciated. The Celtic Star is the place to be.

Hail hail ☘️☘️

https://thecelticstar.com/james-pearsons-saturday-star-supplement-6-july-2019/

James, you make an interesting point regards KT playing right and Andy Robertson left fullback in the Scotland team. If, as we all hope, KT stays and Mbombo is first team ready this could be something Celtic might want to look at in Europe. Ideally they get a quality signing at RB but with injuries and everything else it would be a good backup to have. Adam Matthews did alright at LB in Europe after all.

I still think there's a player in Ralston. I really do and I know some Celtic fans are going to poke fun at me for saying it. But he can pull it off, with a run of games and some confidence. If Johnny Hayes can consistently get game time at LB despite less than desirable performances I am sure Ralston can too this season. KT is a very good option at RB and I don't think many fans would have issue with this idea if other options don't pan out.

My case for Ralston is on Scottish games. I am not to confident with him for European games where the game speed is at a 10. Interested to see what happens for Sarajevo
I'm in agreement with Ralston being retained at the club. This season I'd prefer he joined a top flight Scottish club on loan. He needs a run of 20/25 games and I don't see him being risked with that at Celtic given what this season is all about.
As for Tierney. If he stays he's first choice left back. I don't want square pegs in round holes at Celtic. we simply shouldn't have too.

Your point on KT is spot on. Every media in every country who loves football print article upon article on the hope that the best players stay in their league. The English are always distraught when they lose their top players to the Spanish league (Ronaldo, hazard) yet our media are wishing KT to go.
It's sad that we support a team in a country where el duffalo and defud will, in the future, be hailed as world beating superstars, the way fat boyd is, for plying their trade in Scotland but KT and Brown will be remembered (by our media) as players who wasted their talents and were to frightened to play anywhere else.

Agreed. He's had a few years to work on what he isn't good at so maybe a loan period would benefit him but he certainly isn't ready for the first team squad.
interesting to see if he starts in the qualifiers .we should have had a replacement lined up before Lustig left

There is a player there either it's confidence that's lacking or he's just another player just content with being a squad member

I still think there's a player in Ralston. I really do and I know some Celtic fans are going to poke fun at me for saying it. But he can pull it off, with a run of games and some confidence. If Johnny Hayes can consistently get game time at LB despite less than desirable performances I am sure Ralston can too this season. KT is a very good option at RB and I don't think many fans would have issue with this idea if other options don't pan out.

I bet you a virtual ton he will never be good enough to play for us, unless we continue to accept weak links in our defence. He has never looked good enough in any game and if he was a player who came to us on a loan you would be in a very small queue hoping we signed him.

He needs to put on loan to get games, we cannot risk any CL game with him in. If he improves significantly, positional awareness, his passing is woeful and needs a major improvement, then maybe. My prediction is he moves on after a loan deal to one of our premier teams as sadly his heart is there, he is brave but that’s doesn’t mask glaring gaps in his overall game.

I wish he was the answer but he isn’t and the fact we need two RB is testament to that.

Absolutely agree we need more resources at right back. It's probably the first time we've been in this position as we've been blessed with some outstanding players in this position over the years like McNamara, Hinkel, Lustig etc. I've heard of Johanson from Sweden being linked and that would be a better fit for us. He's 27, capped at national level and he's playing in a competitive league. Again he's experienced enough to come straight in and hit the ground running.

Absolutely agree we need more resources at right back. It's probably the first time we've been in this position as we've been blessed with some outstanding players in this position over the years like McNamara, Hinkel, Lustig etc. I've heard of Johanson from Sweden being linked and that would be a better fit for us. He's 27, capped at national level and he's playing in a competitive league. Again he's experienced enough to come straight in and hit the ground running.
Sounds too good to be true, James, but here's hoping. ☺

Members online

Latest posts

Back