The Term Legend

It seems to be a matter of personal opinion who we term legend and as Celtic fans we agree about most of them. Every single Lisbon Lion for example and Big Jock of course. There are players that haven't been able to give us years of service but are still considered legends, like Lubo for instance and quite often it's their back story and their achievements at Paradise that earn them legendary status.

Regard some of those ex-Celts who like to bad mouth us in the media, they're the ones who never reached the pinnacle of legendary status..................and the bitter bastards know it!
👏👏👏👏👏👏

Well what he did made him legendary and different from Alfie Conn, Conn was accepted with a club who have no problem with a guys religion, so for Johnson to make the jump the other way into the pit was quite legendary imo, not something many on here would do and he did something that not a lot would have the balls to do.
Still hate the the backstabbin, two faced phuqer, 'he had no moral compass'!🥢

He'll get a menchie, but never a legend!
I'll agree with you here, MD. Not a legend, but not a rat either, the way most make out. I was hurt the way he left just the same as we all were, but I believe he left because he knew there was more potential and higher height we could reach that the board weren't willing to match. He's a con man - yes. A shit talker, gobshite. Egotistical cunt. But all his flaws a side, he seen through our board and knew they never gave a shit about the things the fans really want. That's why he jumped ship as soon as he got the chance. Not saying it was the best way to do it, by the way, but I get it. I'll thank him for all he delivered domestically and that incredible Invincible Treble, but he fell short of being a proper legend.

I'll agree with you here, MD. Not a legend, but not a rat either, the way most make out. I was hurt the way he left just the same as we all were, but I believe he left because he knew there was more potential and higher height we could reach that the board weren't willing to match. He's a con man - yes. A shit talker, gobshite. Egotistical cunt. But all his flaws a side, he seen through our board and knew they never gave a shit about the things the fans really want. That's why he jumped ship as soon as he got the chance. Not saying it was the best way to do it, by the way, but I get it. I'll thank him for all he delivered domestically and that incredible Invincible Treble, but he fell short of being a proper legend.
Ah doubt he'll see out the season with Leicester, at best he's a two season manager! HH

I think this all comes down to personal choices, my views are that a player or coach, should be at the club for a minimum of 3 to five years, although this argument can be blown out of the water depending on my mood.
I don't think too many would disagree that Wim the Tim has legendary as well as cult status for his year in paradise.

Something I've been wondering for a few days now. Should we redefine the definition of the word Legend?

A mate of mine considers Dembele to be a Legend, something I'd never even gave a second's thought beforehand and I'm actually on the fence with. But going by past Legends, they were rightfully given the term due to their achievements and performance with us and giving their best years to us - something that players these-days no longer do due to the pull of stronger leagues, more money, etc. I feel if we're stuck in the past requirements of what it takes to become a legend here then we won't have any to tell our grandkids about. So what, now-a-days, for you, does it take to be classed as a modern Celtic Legend?

Thoughts?
No dembele is not a legend in the normal way we class players but hes been legendary in Glasgow Derbys hes not a club legend like henke big Billy, Chalmers, johnstone n the likes a that kind of legend wen he was here he was class

Celtic are built on mythology and legend. Entire teams can earn legendary status, but for an individual to gain legendary status, then their efforts have to be meaningful.

The 1957 team are writ in legend, but only because of one particular result. There won't be many individuals in that team who earned legendary status (although Sean Fallon would achieve that honour a decade later).

Where do you place Harald Brattbakk in that list? Until he scored that second decisive goal against St Johnstone, there were hundreds of thousands of Celtic fans gasping for breath due to panic attacks and facing the worst case scenario.

I wouldn't regard him as a true legend, but he definitely saved a few lives that day.

We all have our own individual icons and we all know the collective legends. It's not those who have gone before I'm concerned about, it's the legends yet to come I'm interested in.

Something I've been wondering for a few days now. Should we redefine the definition of the word Legend?

A mate of mine considers Dembele to be a Legend, something I'd never even gave a second's thought beforehand and I'm actually on the fence with. But going by past Legends, they were rightfully given the term due to their achievements and performance with us and giving their best years to us - something that players these-days no longer do due to the pull of stronger leagues, more money, etc. I feel if we're stuck in the past requirements of what it takes to become a legend here then we won't have any to tell our grandkids about. So what, now-a-days, for you, does it take to be classed as a modern Celtic Legend?

Thoughts?
For that hatrick 1st in many many years against a side calling them rangers I'd give him that

Celtic are built on mythology and legend. Entire teams can earn legendary status, but for an individual to gain legendary status, then their efforts have to be meaningful.

The 1957 team are writ in legend, but only because of one particular result. There won't be many individuals in that team who earned legendary status (although Sean Fallon would achieve that honour a decade later).

Where do you place Harald Brattbakk in that list? Until he scored that second decisive goal against St Johnstone, there were hundreds of thousands of Celtic fans gasping for breath due to panic attacks and facing the worst case scenario.

I wouldn't regard him as a true legend, but he definitely saved a few lives that day.

We all have our own individual icons and we all know the collective legends. It's not those who have gone before I'm concerned about, it's the legends yet to come I'm interested in.
I would coin Brattback in a' legendary goal' status

Members online

Latest posts

Back