Thoughts of a New Member

BILLCOWIE1958

Morning all of you HOOPS and HOOPESSES

First of all thank you for adding me to the rank and file of your site.

As a Celtic fan of 55 years standing I was dismayed by the antics of 2 Celtic players over the past weeks publicly trying to orchestrate, and indeed one of them succeeding in, their exit from Parkhead.

The 2 in question, Messrs. Dembele and Boyata, in connivence with their associated entourages have besmirched the name of our world renowned Club.

Although Boyata remains at the Club, and appears to be knuckling down to do the job for which he is being handsomely remunerated, I fail to see how this situation can survive long term no matter how willing all parties i.e. the player, the Club and some of the supporters would appear to be to 'forgive and forget'.

The Media, as usual, seem Hell bent on accusing Boyata of single handedly sabotaging Celtic's progress into the Group Stages of the Champion's League. Agree with them or not he remains, for now, a Celtic player and while he plys his trade for our Club he should be accorded all of the civilities which are given to every other Celtic player when they represent us.

All of that said, the Powers that be must use their collective wisdom, knowledge and negotiating abilities to broker a deal to exit Boyata in the next transfer window ensuring maximum profit for the depreciating asset that he undiubtedly is, while sourcing a quality replacement as well as an additional quality Centre Back.
The likes of Scott McKenna of Aberdeen being outrageously over valued by his Club is not the answer, as was not Marvin Comper who in my opinion is the biggest waste of Celtic money spent on a Centre Back since Raphael Scheidt. The jury on Jack Henry is wavering with a 'not proven' verdict probably the most likely outcome.
There are golden nuggets to be found out there, and although I realise that these are not everyday commodities, with our scouting resources we must surely be able to unearth one or 2 decent prospects who can play a bit and at the same time keep injury free as is not the case of Herr Comper and to an extent Jozo Simunovic.

Returning to the other source of my post/rant Mon. Dembele.
He managed to 'work his ticket" out of Celtic with a degree of aplomb, arrogance and skullduggery that a Brexit Negotiator might learn a thing or two from.
As was the way with Mark'o' Viduka in years gone by it was imperative that he was shown the door, albeit the €22 million into Celtic coffers was as good as a dose of morphine to help dull the pain. The problem is that the lateness of the hour that the business was conducted left the Club no time to source and complete the signing of a suitable replacement.

Had we qualified for the Champions League this could have proved disasterous but, while it remains far from an deal situation, the lesser competition we face in the Europa League might not require the same amount of firepower as would it's richer relation.

Since our victory over our newest city rivals much of the summer's negativity surrounding Celtic would appear to have dissipated and this should allow the Manager to get on with the job which we know he does so well. Nurture the undoubted talent that already exists at the Club and bring home more Titles, Trophies and TREBLES

HH?

There is a big post mortem to endure into our window business.

Most players don't bother who is paying them but a level of professionalism is needed.

Stuart Armstrong has doubled his money, at least, he's not getting a game at Southampton but prefers his wage to being involved in games like Sunday or Europa League matches.

Boyata can get on with playing like he did against Sevco and in January or next summer he moves on.

We need to be working now on getting a new central defence in place for next season. Ajer is a certainty, Hendry a possibility, one experienced central defender is required plus a right-back since Ralston no longer seems to be rated.

For less than the price of Marvin Compper we could have had someone of the ilk of Lukáš Pokorný who is currently with Slavia Prague but who plied his trade in France with Montpellier in ligue 1 for a season. I would suggest he is better that McKenna and we could have had him for about £500K. There is a lot of fooballing talent in Central Europe, but only teams from Italy and France seem to take the time to look.

Morning all of you HOOPS and HOOPESSES

First of all thank you for adding me to the rank and file of your site.

As a Celtic fan of 55 years standing I was dismayed by the antics of 2 Celtic players over the past weeks publicly trying to orchestrate, and indeed one of them succeeding in, their exit from Parkhead.

The 2 in question, Messrs. Dembele and Boyata, in connivence with their associated entourages have besmirched the name of our world renowned Club.

Although Boyata remains at the Club, and appears to be knuckling down to do the job for which he is being handsomely remunerated, I fail to see how this situation can survive long term no matter how willing all parties i.e. the player, the Club and some of the supporters would appear to be to 'forgive and forget'.

The Media, as usual, seem Hell bent on accusing Boyata of single handedly sabotaging Celtic's progress into the Group Stages of the Champion's League. Agree with them or not he remains, for now, a Celtic player and while he plys his trade for our Club he should be accorded all of the civilities which are given to every other Celtic player when they represent us.

All of that said, the Powers that be must use their collective wisdom, knowledge and negotiating abilities to broker a deal to exit Boyata in the next transfer window ensuring maximum profit for the depreciating asset that he undiubtedly is, while sourcing a quality replacement as well as an additional quality Centre Back.
The likes of Scott McKenna of Aberdeen being outrageously over valued by his Club is not the answer, as was not Marvin Comper who in my opinion is the biggest waste of Celtic money spent on a Centre Back since Raphael Scheidt. The jury on Jack Henry is wavering with a 'not proven' verdict probably the most likely outcome.
There are golden nuggets to be found out there, and although I realise that these are not everyday commodities, with our scouting resources we must surely be able to unearth one or 2 decent prospects who can play a bit and at the same time keep injury free as is not the case of Herr Comper and to an extent Jozo Simunovic.

Returning to the other source of my post/rant Mon. Dembele.
He managed to 'work his ticket" out of Celtic with a degree of aplomb, arrogance and skullduggery that a Brexit Negotiator might learn a thing or two from.
As was the way with Mark'o' Viduka in years gone by it was imperative that he was shown the door, albeit the €22 million into Celtic coffers was as good as a dose of morphine to help dull the pain. The problem is that the lateness of the hour that the business was conducted left the Club no time to source and complete the signing of a suitable replacement.

Had we qualified for the Champions League this could have proved disasterous but, while it remains far from an deal situation, the lesser competition we face in the Europa League might not require the same amount of firepower as would it's richer relation.

Since our victory over our newest city rivals much of the summer's negativity surrounding Celtic would appear to have dissipated and this should allow the Manager to get on with the job which we know he does so well. Nurture the undoubted talent that already exists at the Club and bring home more Titles, Trophies and TREBLES

HH?
Yea, don't disagree with any of your well put comments. You can understand players wanting to move on, whether it be for money and or playing in a so called better league. Celtic have conducted quite good business in the last few years making tidy profits on nurtured talent, giving opportunities to play in Europe etc. This suits the ideallogy of Brendan and the bean counters. We need a balance of youth and well grounded journeymen for experience. Celtic seem to be doing ok with a few errors you mentioned. Can't always get it right. Kouassi, Simunovic, Commper the most recent.

Yea, don't disagree with any of your well put comments. You can understand players wanting to move on, whether it be for money and or playing in a so called better league. Celtic have conducted quite good business in the last few years making tidy profits on nurtured talent, giving opportunities to play in Europe etc. This suits the ideallogy of Brendan and the bean counters. We need a balance of youth and well grounded journeymen for experience. Celtic seem to be doing ok with a few errors you mentioned. Can't always get it right. Kouassi, Simunovic, Commper the most recent.
Agree with you,we do need to get the balance right,not everyone can be a project, think we really need to be looking now for an experienced CB to replace boyata when he goes

Will be interesting to see how this site develops. Will it be a genuine forum for supporters? Will it open up lines of discussion for those wanting genuine change in Scottish football?
Will that change include Celtic in the long term? Would we be better out of it and if so where? Is the answer in the development of European Leagues? Does this represent the further march in the development of multi national owned Clubs and the further alienation of the working class supporter?
Where does this all lie with our ethos and founding principles?
I do not have the answers but lots of questions and opinions.
My opinions will be given honestly and with respect for ALL others. I hope we can all do that in here. Most of the best Celtic forums have been diluted by personal abuse and lack of respect.
All the best and Hail Hail.☘️☘️☘️

Will be interesting to see how this site develops. Will it be a genuine forum for supporters? Will it open up lines of discussion for those wanting genuine change in Scottish football?
Will that change include Celtic in the long term? Would we be better out of it and if so where? Is the answer in the development of European Leagues? Does this represent the further march in the development of multi national owned Clubs and the further alienation of the working class supporter?
My opinions will be given honestly and with respect for ALL others. I hope we can all do that in here. Most of the best Celtic forums have been diluted by personal abuse and lack of respect.
Good post. I like the idea that the threads are started by posters and seems to have independence. CQN has unfortunately developed into a simple happy clapper v mineshafter bunfest.

Well said I fully agree everyone should be given respect in offering their opinion. Some sites unfortunately seem to be predominantly immature types who seem more intent on being aggresive and undermining posters over the age of 21 for being Luddite or out of touch somehow if not involved with GB ( I have nothing against GB but I am a Luddite at heart )

Back