Tierney Threads Merged

I'm a confirmed board apologist, but that doesn't mean that I don't have some axes to grind.

I can't pretend to understand the business world, but I think our board have to be careful not to understand the emotional and human aspect of players like Kieran Tierney.

Every Celtic fan is living their dream vicariously through this impressive young man.

If he is ever perceived as a "commodity" then that's when my apologising and goodwill ends.

He is not an asset, he is the personification of our Club and should not be regarded as anything other than a symbol of who we are and what we represent.

If the day comes when KT decides to move on to pastures new, then it should be solely on his terms and conditions. Not on the requirements of a financial audit.

If they treated him like a commodity and sold him on to fill a hole in finances, due to not tooling up for the CL I am odds on to get sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

My gunners mate is singing from the same hymn sheet but again it's all just regurgitated tabloid stuff that most of us have read.
I still think 20/25m is low. There aren't many young left backs with his qualities about and if its to an epl team where he can count towards their homegrown quota its really not a lot of money.
His stock has risen over his time with us obviously with all the euro appearances. The rise of Robertson as well has helped. Another daft one is fan awareness. There will be 10yr olds in China that will know about him. Why? Ask any of the millions of people that play football games. He is rated in all of them as one of the best young lbs. Seems like a daft one but it all counts. We as fans wanted 40m for the moose that's what Leon now want. What would Arsenal value KT after a season? We need to aim for 70% of that.

I think he stays. When you look at it, you get to a point where the numbers become pretty meaningless.

Celtic is in KT's DNA. He was raised on Celtic, came up through the Celtic system, lives the dream of every Celtic fan (as mentioned earlier -- thanks, SP!), and if all current indications bear fruit he is slated to become a Celtic legend, a football god who will take his place among the pantheon of Celtic greats.

KT is smart enough to get that.

My hope is that the board does, too.

I think he stays. When you look at it, you get to a point where the numbers become pretty meaningless.

Celtic is in KT's DNA. He was raised on Celtic, came up through the Celtic system, lives the dream of every Celtic fan (as mentioned earlier -- thanks, SP!), and if all current indications bear fruit he is slated to become a Celtic legend, a football god who will take his place among the pantheon of Celtic greats.

KT is smart enough to get that.

My hope is that the board does, too.
The players we have sold for significant profit in recent years haven't been raised or steeped in the history and tradition of Celtic.

Wanyama, Virgil, Hooper, Forster, Dembele were all lads who benefitted from being here, but didn't develop their love of Celtic until they arrived here.

Even Stuart Armstrong was unlikely to have been a devoted follower of Celtic prior to joining.

KT is an altogether different kettle of fish. It's not just his job playing for Celtic, it's his vocation.

The board would be playing with fire if they were seen to be acting in their own interests on this one.

I'm a confirmed board apologist, but that doesn't mean that I don't have some axes to grind.

I can't pretend to understand the business world, but I think our board have to be careful not to understand the emotional and human aspect of players like Kieran Tierney.

Every Celtic fan is living their dream vicariously through this impressive young man.

If he is ever perceived as a "commodity" then that's when my apologising and goodwill ends.

He is not an asset, he is the personification of our Club and should not be regarded as anything other than a symbol of who we are and what we represent.

If the day comes when KT decides to move on to pastures new, then it should be solely on his terms and conditions. Not on the requirements of a financial audit.
Get what youre saying SP but unfortunately every player has a price.I hope we get another 2 seasons out him at least but i take nothing for granted now .

Get what youre saying SP but unfortunately every player has a price.I hope we get another 2 seasons out him at least but i take nothing for granted now .
Aye, they do, but if that is even being considered PA, then they better be pocketing a cheque in excess of £40 million.

I get that money is more important than glory to businessmen, but even businessmen have to realise that it is the product on the pitch that keeps interest maintained.

Once they lose sight of that, then the worst case scenario (as described by another contributor recently) stops being a possible scenario and becomes a probable outcome.

He's not asking to go but if the club tell him that they have accepted an offer for him he'll have little choice. A year ago we were being told by Rodgers that it would be morally wrong to stop a player going to earn fortunes in England as Lawwell was busy trying to coax £25m out of Everton. Had they agreed the price he'd have been away and the usual suspects would have been 'selling' it as a great piece of business to the support.

Totally, thing is he is worth 3 times that 25m to us so why sell him for less to a cash rich country.

Fuck that.

Even at 3 times more, i would still keep him for he is, to me, irreplaceable. ☘️

Aye, they do, but if that is even being considered PA, then they better be pocketing a cheque in excess of £40 million.

I get that money is more important than glory to businessmen, but even businessmen have to realise that it is the product on the pitch that keeps interest maintained.

Once they lose sight of that, then the worst case scenario (as described by another contributor recently) stops being a possible scenario and becomes a probable outcome.
Well we'll soon see mate but i reckon we accept 25/30 million for him and believe me i know thats buttons for Tierney.I'm hoping there's no truth in the rumours but i aint holding my breathe.Im still fuming about the Van Diijk transfer haha think we got 14 million all in for him,madness when you see what he's worth now.

Well we'll soon see mate but i reckon we accept 25/30 million for him and believe me i know thats buttons for Tierney.I'm hoping there's no truth in the rumours but i aint holding my breathe.Im still fuming about the Van Diijk transfer haha think we got 14 million all in for him,madness when you see what he's worth now.
There's a bit of a myth about certain leagues adding value (EPL, la Liga, serie a), but Ajax are bucking that trend and are away to secure their future for the next 5-10 years on the sale of two players.

The going rate has changed because of that alone. The board might have jumped at 25mill a year ago, but anything less than 40 and they might get entered into the next high-diving into an empty pool competition.

Members online

Latest posts

Back