Times Like These

Spherical Planet

One of the attractions of being a regular visitor to this site, is that I have happened across many folk who I would very nearly regard as good friends.

When I first signed up to The Celtic Noise, the priority was to engage in debate about the football club and all of the current events surrounding sporting matters. I now find that I enjoy the community aspect of this site just as much as I enjoy the sporting aspect of it.

In fact, it is often a fine distraction from the football which tends to stress me out when I think too much about it.

There are many intelligent, humorous, enlightened and witty people treading these boards. Strong personalities with significant stories, achievements and wisdom to impart.
There are magnificent contributions which inform us about our club's history and standing. There are "laymen/laywomen" who have a depth of knowledge about the game, current affairs and life in general that inform and educate us on an almost daily basis.

However - we are currently navigating uncharted territory at the moment. There should be a genuine concern regarding the outbreak of Covid-19 and some of our senior members may feel vulnerable and fearful due to the coverage being provided by the news corporations throughout the world.

Some of our own lads and lassies may feel isolated at the best of times and probably even more so now that "social distancing" is an actual thing.

I have read some outstanding posts and comments this week about the support that some of our members are willing to provide. These guys are true heroes and I am in awe at the lengths that they would be prepared to go to. Steviebhoy and Kelly spring immediately to mind, but there are many others who have proposed their own way to help.

We have several high-profile members who may be reaching their twilight years. Fantastic folk with rich stories and life experiences to share. They are the bedrock of this wee community and it is important to let them know that they are not being forgotten in this time of crisis.

Many of these folk have recently undergone significant surgery and medical treatment. They don't whinge, they don't whine, they just get on with it in the manner to which they're used to. No fuss. No drama.

However - in spite of their stoicism, there may be times when they feel concerned and worried about the current situation. Perhaps they do not want to impose upon other members, or perhaps that old Gaelic pride, bravado and stubbornness gets in the way of discussing that which ails them or concerns them.

Our fine administrator is awaiting a response from several members who wish to present a digital outreach service. We are looking at potentially introducing another banner which will allow folk to seek support in a less public forum. We cannot guarantee expert advice, but we can direct you to the appropriate guidance and we can listen and discuss any concerns that folk may have.

This is an outstanding community. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching relationships flourish. There are arguments, disagreements and other issues, but I have been really impressed by the way that folk have overcome their initial problems with each other and just got on with it.

There have been problems and that is an unfortunate thing. I wish happiness and peace for those who can't contribute for varying reasons. We also have our fair share of oddities among us, but even they can be entertaining in their own unique way.

The point is, is that it is vital that we support each other in times like these. We will endeavour to protect your anonymity and confidences. We will abide by the legal tenets of the Data Protection Act and the updated version of said Act.

You are not alone and if you need to reach out for any reason, then hopefully reassurance, information and support will be just a click away.

I hope good health and prosperity finds you all well.

One of the attractions of being a regular visitor to this site, is that I have happened across many folk who I would very nearly regard as good friends.

When I first signed up to The Celtic Noise, the priority was to engage in debate about the football club and all of the current events surrounding sporting matters. I now find that I enjoy the community aspect of this site just as much as I enjoy the sporting aspect of it.

In fact, it is often a fine distraction from the football which tends to stress me out when I think too much about it.

There are many intelligent, humorous, enlightened and witty people treading these boards. Strong personalities with significant stories, achievements and wisdom to impart.
There are magnificent contributions which inform us about our club's history and standing. There are "laymen/laywomen" who have a depth of knowledge about the game, current affairs and life in general that inform and educate us on an almost daily basis.

However - we are currently navigating uncharted territory at the moment. There should be a genuine concern regarding the outbreak of Covid-19 and some of our senior members may feel vulnerable and fearful due to the coverage being provided by the news corporations throughout the world.

Some of our own lads and lassies may feel isolated at the best of times and probably even more so now that "social distancing" is an actual thing.

I have read some outstanding posts and comments this week about the support that some of our members are willing to provide. These guys are true heroes and I am in awe at the lengths that they would be prepared to go to. Steviebhoy and Kelly spring immediately to mind, but there are many others who have proposed their own way to help.

We have several high-profile members who may be reaching their twilight years. Fantastic folk with rich stories and life experiences to share. They are the bedrock of this wee community and it is important to let them know that they are not being forgotten in this time of crisis.

Many of these folk have recently undergone significant surgery and medical treatment. They don't whinge, they don't whine, they just get on with it in the manner to which they're used to. No fuss. No drama.

However - in spite of their stoicism, there may be times when they feel concerned and worried about the current situation. Perhaps they do not want to impose upon other members, or perhaps that old Gaelic pride, bravado and stubbornness gets in the way of discussing that which ails them or concerns them.

Our fine administrator is awaiting a response from several members who wish to present a digital outreach service. We are looking at potentially introducing another banner which will allow folk to seek support in a less public forum. We cannot guarantee expert advice, but we can direct you to the appropriate guidance and we can listen and discuss any concerns that folk may have.

This is an outstanding community. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching relationships flourish. There are arguments, disagreements and other issues, but I have been really impressed by the way that folk have overcome their initial problems with each other and just got on with it.

There have been problems and that is an unfortunate thing. I wish happiness and peace for those who can't contribute for varying reasons. We also have our fair share of oddities among us, but even they can be entertaining in their own unique way.

The point is, is that it is vital that we support each other in times like these. We will endeavour to protect your anonymity and confidences. We will abide by the legal tenets of the Data Protection Act and the updated version of said Act.

You are not alone and if you need to reach out for any reason, then hopefully reassurance, information and support will be just a click away.

Extremely well put pal. Our spirit on here is good. I'd like to put it out there that if any of the members on here are struggling to get messages or any other supplies in the Glasgow area that I'm happy to help you out. Just pm me. As a well known chain says, "every little helps".
HH πŸ€

Extremely well put pal. Our spirit on here is good. I'd like to put it out there that if any of the members on here are struggling to get messages or any other supplies in the Glasgow area that I'm happy to help you out. Just pm me. As a well known chain says, "every little helps".
HH πŸ€
Stevie, there is a fella here that we would both regard as a mutual friend who has never lost sight of what it is that sets certain people apart from others.

It's decency, Stevie........Pure and utter decency. Folk didn't have much in your wee corner of the world, but what they did have - they shared. Those are values that are often forgotten about nowadays, but with folk like yourself and some others here - decency will never go out of fashion.

You're a credit to yourself and your family that instilled these values into you, Stevie. It's good to know that there are now wee folk down south who will also pass on these values to their own future generations.

You can buy all the 'stuff' in the world, but you can't buy class, mate.

HH

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

......great post ! Eh , could you lend me a fiver ?

HH

Fantastic post SP. If anyone is struggling then please do not be too proud to ask for help. HH to The Noise

Whatever yer sellin pal even if it is a boax ,,,am no buyin it

πŸ€ͺ πŸ˜·πŸ‘‹

Brillian post SP. WC had mentioned you had some plans afoot and this sounds like a damn fine idea sir. If I can help in any way around rents, housing, landlords and housing/homelesness and your rights in general let me know. What I don't know I'll find out.
On another point SP. I read your brilliant piece on Dundee. Off topic I know but did you ever read 'In search of Alan Gilzean'...One of the best football books I've read. I'd highly recommend as a way to pass time at the moment.

Brillian post SP. WC had mentioned you had some plans afoot and this sounds like a damn fine idea sir. If I can help in any way around rents, housing, landlords and housing/homelesness and your rights in general let me know. What I don't know I'll find out.
On another point SP. I read your brilliant piece on Dundee. Off topic I know but did you ever read 'In search of Alan Gilzean'...One of the best football books I've read. I'd highly recommend as a way to pass time at the moment.
Thanks Niall, I have the feeling that your help may be invaluable in the weeks and months ahead. We're heading into half-a-decade of utter carnage in the aftermath of this thing and society is going to be changed beyond recognition.

This is going to test your resolve, my friend, but I can't think of anyone else I'd rather turn to.

I have read that book, Niall. Gillie isn't nearly as iconic as he should be up here, but the best thing about that book is that it didn't even attempt to clear up the enigma about the big fella. I think that that's exactly how it should be with some players.........the magic is always in the never knowing.

Thanks Niall, I have the feeling that your help may be invaluable in the weeks and months ahead. We're heading into half-a-decade of utter carnage in the aftermath of this thing and society is going to be changed beyond recognition.

This is going to test your resolve, my friend, but I can't think of anyone else I'd rather turn to.

I have read that book, Niall. Gillie isn't nearly as iconic as he should be up here, but the best thing about that book is that it didn't even attempt to clear up the enigma about the big fella. I think that that's exactly how it should be with some players.........the magic is always in the never knowing.
You know what SP for everything awful that happens to us individually or to society as a whole, positives always emerge. One foot in front of the other and we all, well most of us, can see the advantage that solidarity brings in tmes of trouble. As you say society will change beyond recognition let's ensure we take the opportunity to rebuild and not revert to the ruthlessness of old.
Spot on assessment on the book. You read it thinking you might get a wee insight and leave it chuffed you didn't.
Good on you SP. Your sense of community is commendable.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Very well said mate.

While the time I spend on here will be limited for the foreseeable future (need to look after my parents since they're over 70 and now unable to go about their normal lives......shopping etc.) I would still be happy to help in any way I can.

HH (y)

Back