Top 50 Foreign Imports

I know, the most expensive defender in the world is 29 places behind Amafuckinarsehole!!!! How? Why? When? In what reality?
There is actually a write-up explaining why the top 10 were chosen and essentially Amaruso made a bigger impact on Scottish football than just about every other foreign player because he became Deidco's first Catholic captain. Rather than berate the sectarian bigots for discrimination they ignore all that and boast about how in the late 1990s he broke down barriers by leading a financially doped team to success.

I found this.. A Celtic team with not a Scotsman in it.
8/9/2001 v Dunfermline
Dimitri Kharine ( Russia )
Joos Valgaeren ( Belgium )
Didier Agathe ( Reunion )
Bobo Balde ( France )
Olivier Tebily ( Ivory Coast )
Alan Thompson ( England )
Neil Lennon ( Ireland )
Stilian Petrov ( Bulgaria )
Lubomir Moravcik ( Slovakia )
Henrik Larrson ( Sweden )
Chris Sutton ( England )

The first Celtic starting line-up for a competitive match not to feature either a Scottish born player or a Scottish international not born in Scotland, came in the clubs 114th year. Celtic won 3-1

I found this.. A Celtic team with not a Scotsman in it.
8/9/2001 v Dunfermline
Dimitri Kharine ( Russia )
Joos Valgaeren ( Belgium )
Didier Agathe ( Reunion )
Bobo Balde ( France )
Olivier Tebily ( Ivory Coast )
Alan Thompson ( England )
Neil Lennon ( Ireland )
Stilian Petrov ( Bulgaria )
Lubomir Moravcik ( Slovakia )
Henrik Larrson ( Sweden )
Chris Sutton ( England )

The first Celtic starting line-up for a competitive match not to feature either a Scottish born player or a Scottish international not born in Scotland, came in the clubs 114th year. Celtic won 3-1

Now that is an interesting list.

Now that is an interesting list.
Thanks Shammy, that is an interesting list right enough. I also found a wee story about the first player from the Indian Sub- Continent to play in Europe.
Here is the story,
OUT OF INDIA
Mohammed Abdul Salim's brief spell with Celtic in the 1930s might be termed a " footnote" in Celtic's history- incredibly, he played with his bare feet strapped in bandages.
Born in Calcutta, after helping the Mohammedan Sporting Club to five consecutive Indian titles his cousin encouraged him to try his luck in Europe. And so it was that in 1937, at the age of 23, he arrived in London on ocean liner The City of Cairo. Finding London unappealing, he looked to Glasgow, second city of the Empire, and was given a trial by Celtic manager Willie Maley. He impressed enough to win a contract and became the first player from the sub- continent to sign for a European club.
Salim did not actually play for Celtic but sported his unusual footwear for friendly wins against Hamilton (5-1) and Galston thrashed 7-1. Inevitably, the exotic forward grabbed more than his share of coverage in the local press. After the Galston match, under a headline which read "Indian juggler - New Style" the Scottish Daily Express reported " Ten twinkling toes of Salim, Celtic FCs player from India hypnotised the Parkhead faithful. He balances the ball on his big toe, lets it run down the scale to his little toe, twirls it and hops on one foot round the defender."
Soon, though, Salim was hopping back to India. Homesickness got the better of him and although Celtic attempted to encourage him to stay by offering him 5% of the takings from a charity match in his honour, he declined the offer. Instead he asked that the money, said to be a somewhat unbelievable £1800, be given to an orphan charity to which the club made yearly donations.
When he fell ill in later life- he died in 1980- it is said that his son Rashid wrote to the club under the guise of financial assistance, but really to see if the club remembered his father. Salim died before a reply came with the offer of "all sorts of reassuring help" and a cheque for £100.
Taken from The Celtic Miscellany by Andrew Smith.

Tis a shame that no- one has heard of Mohammed Salim....he really did break down barriers...in 1937

Last edited:
I know, the most expensive defender in the world is 29 places behind Amafuckinarsehole!!!! How? Why? When? In what reality?
Probably the same reality that the ballon d'or jury comes from , reading some of the voting was laughable like Cameroon who voted 5 of liverpool's starting XI or Sri Lanka's who voted Alex trent Arnold as winner 🤣 it's a pity as it shows to me anyway that messi and Ronaldo shouldn't have as many as they do no matter how good they are. Politics and backhanders. Modric last years winner didn't even make the list Serbia accused of racism for having no mane in the top . Proves to me the whole thing is a nonsense and not about football skill alone. Corruption ? In football? Get away ...dont come back stop ruining things for those with shares in messi. 1 country may have been Togo had lloris in 3rd place that's fantastic for a keeper with 8 clean sheets in 2019 imagine he had 15??

Thing is the list Is subjective and not objective as Bridey bhoy said also through blue tinted spectacles. They are so dumb they've forgotten to include canniga who was a revelation to the defunct Glasgow rangers I'd say more so than novo, is Albertz on the list. Gil heron (before my time made it on,father of the late great gil scott heron and known as the black flash ) token vote. I think. May as well have asked the jury to name the the 15 best stadiums in Scotland (just to see if they came up with 15) or list the best days of the week,never get a satisfactory result although I'm sure the SMSM would have a real good go at it such is their confusion HH

For those that don't want to click on Daily Record (I never noticed until I had):

50. Hicham Zerouali
49. Jean-Alain Boumsong
48. Edgaras Jankauskas
47. Don Kitchenbrand
46. Fernando Ricksen
45. Claudio Reyna
44. Hans Gillhaus
43. Gordan Petric
42. Mixu Paatelainen
41. Dieter Van Tornholt
40. Rudi Skacel
39. Arthur Numan