Total honesty required here

I could expand but your post nailed it?
HH?
Stevie, i'm going to be really pedantic, but it's something that rankles me a wee bit and it involves the use of the word "pride".

I believe you have used the word "pride" in the proper context, as it refers to an achievement and a belief that you have subscribed to and have faith in.

It's when they rabid bastards talk about things like "white pride" that I get the rage on.

Being born white is just a genetic disposition. It is not an achievement, it is just an occurrence or consequence.

That is why we have to take ownership of the word "pride", because it is something that Celtic has had to work extremely hard to achieve (often against all odds) and something that we had to earn, not inherit!

Stevie, i'm going to be really pedantic, but it's something that rankles me a wee bit and it involves the use of the word "pride".

I believe you have used the word "pride" in the proper context, as it refers to an achievement and a belief that you have subscribed to and have faith in.

It's when they rabid bastards talk about things like "white pride" that I get the rage on.

Being born white is just a genetic disposition. It is not an achievement, it is just an occurrence or consequence.

That is why we have to take ownership of the word "pride", because it is something that Celtic has had to work extremely hard to achieve (often against all odds) and something that we had to earn, not inherit!
Very true pal.
HH?

How good does it feel being a Celtic supporter?

Like climbing the ropes in gym class while the captain of the netball team's doing handstand below ye.

Like watching Raquel Welch cut about in a fur bikini in One Million Years B.C, the other great thing that happened in 1967.

Like watching Cavalero storm through the field in the Foxhunter's at Cheltenam, 2000, and win on the line to turn yer £15 lucky 15 into £1500.

Like watching a great movie with yer kid and discovering it all over again through someone else's eyes - Apocalypse Now for me and the wee mhan (14) to kick-off OUR Christmas movie season.;) Followed by Aliens...

Ultimately, like knowing you're on the side of the good ghuys - vindicated by the events at Mordor this century as all our years of 'paranoia' proved percipient.

And on the 29th of December 2018, I expect it to feel like Raquel 67's decided to cut about my gaff without the bikini...

Proud of our traditions, our values, where we came from, our imact to this day helping all people. The hotel that we plan to build which will help the local community as in employment is just an example.
I could go on and on. The way we try to play football. The Celtic way.
HH?
That is everything we should be proud of Stevie.

But i'm proud of you all too. As TB said in 88 about the support: "They're always there......God Bless them all"

Now that is what pride really means

Like climbing the ropes in gym class while the captain of the netball team's doing handstand below ye.

Like watching Raquel Welch cut about in a fur bikini in One Million Years B.C, the other great thing that happened in 1967.

Like watching Cavalero storm through the field in the Foxhunter's at Cheltenam, 2000, and win on the line to turn yer £15 lucky 15 into £1500.

Like watching a great movie with yer kid and discovering it all over again through someone else's eyes - Apocalypse Now for me and the wee mhan (14) to kick-off OUR Christmas movie season.;) Followed by Aliens...

Ultimately, like knowing you're on the side of the good ghuys - vindicated by the events at Mordor this century as all our years of 'paranoia' proved percipient.

And on the 29th of December 2018, I expect it to feel like Raquel 67's decided to cut about my gaff without the bikini...
We had joy, we had fun, we had raquel welch's bum.

But the things we liked best, were the things upon her chest

It's fantastic time to be a Celtic fan this is once in a generation stuff we are witnessing.
Hands up who was at the game at hampden when the fox ran oan the park?
The abject feeling getting done by Raith at the home of the anti-christ?
Milk it for all it's worth bhoys and girls and most of all Enjoy it .......success done the right way!....HH☘☘

Being a Celtic fan means :

Not having to tell the world we are ''the peepul'' as we are already world renowned ( and the world knows we can spell ).

Not having to wade through the blood of others because we are not inherently violent and don't see others as having to be slaughtered for being different .

Not discriminating against anyone because of their religion (or none ).

Not having a target of '55' - we have loftier ambitions and will surpass that and some !

Not reneging on our debts .

Not being conned once by self-evident criminals , then twice , then thrice , then ...

Not blaming the world for your own faults and failings .

Not wearing size XXXXXXXL Turkish tops .

Not destroying toilets because there was not a set of instructions at hand to explain how to use them .

etc..........................

Being a Celtic fan means :

Not having to tell the world we are ''the peepul'' as we are already world renowned ( and the world knows we can spell ).

Not having to wade through the blood of others because we are not inherently violent and don't see others as having to be slaughtered for being different .

Not discriminating against anyone because of their religion (or none ).

Not having a target of '55' - we have loftier ambitions and will surpass that and some !

Not reneging on our debts .

Not being conned once by self-evident criminals , then twice , then thrice , then ...

Not blaming the world for your own faults and failings .

Not wearing size XXXXXXXL Turkish tops .

Not destroying toilets because there was not a set of instructions at hand to explain how to use them .

etc..........................
beautiful Fergus, Hail Hail!!!!!

It's great being a Celtic fan and it must be shite being a sevco fan.

There but for the grace of God go I!!!!!

Coming from a family of mixed religion I was allowed to make my own choices as to which team I supported

I was never encouraged by family indeed I was dissuaded from following either of the OLD FIRM sides Alas there is no longer an OLD FIRM since 2012

However as I've stated before on this site as an 8 year old boy brought up in Easterhouse and who's LOCAL team had just become Champions of Europe with total innocence of childhood I was lucky enough to form opinions and make the correct decision

A lot of my decision making in the subject came from attending a Catholic school and being immersed in the Celtic tradition Not through the school curriculum but learning from my peers at school

My only real Celtic minded relative was my maternal grandfather who I seldom saw

My father was from Aberdeen and not particularly interested in football although if pressed would say he had a soft spot for Aberdeen however if asked the question 'who do you support '? his stock answer would be 'my wife and 3 weans'

My paternal grandfather was an avid football supporter Possibly a Rangers fan but this was never disclosed to me even in later life and Iwas 29 years old when he passed away
Indeed it was him who took me to my 1st Celtic match He never took me to see Celtic again and in fairness I never knew him to go and watch Rangers despite the proximity to Ibrox where he lived

The fact that when he and my grandmother and my father moved to Glasgow from Aberdeen in1948 and took up residence in a flat on Harrison Dr just off Rd a stone's throw away from old Stairway 13 at Ibrox
The fact that he also had a Masonic parchment half in English Half in Latin hung on his bedroom wall may also have been an indicator as to where his allegiances may have lain

It is now my turn to hope that history repeats itself

My eldest daighter's man is a HUN but through mutual respect we NEVER discuss our footballing allegiances
Oh sometimes I'll comiserste with him in a rather disguised condescending manner when the footballing Gods plot against his favourites but I tend to temper it with a dose of 'serves you fuckin' right' kind of pity

He and my daughter have 3 young infant sons the eldest just turned 4 years old

When he was born my daughter said to me diplomatically ' we've decided to let Rory support either St Mirren or Patrick Thistle if he shows an interest in football'

Knowing where the conversation was heading I used my personal experience and replied that as soon as he went to school he'd soon make up his own mind as to where his allegiances lie

No pressure or influence would be placed on the wee guy from me but I sometimes think does his father play by the same rules?

So far I've never heard Rory mention being interested in football
Indeed at 4 years old his interest seems to start and end with PAW PATROL. PJ MASK and DANIEL IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

2019 will be the BIG year for him Starting primary school and from what I gather a non denominational one

This is when a little psychological subterfuge may need to come into play on my part

Having a father who is a HUN and going to school with classmates who may have been brought up in HUN tradition he could very well be open to peer pressure away from my seeing eyes

I fervently hope that being made aware of a very successful Celtic team and a rank rotten SEVCO team might in itself influence his decision making If indeed he follows football at all

So my plan is to monitor the situation closely in silent observation but if any HUN tendencies begin to manifest themselves or it becomes evident that he may be leaning towards SEVCO I might have to try and deter such innocent folly

As I said earlier 'there but for the grace of God go I' so I feel it incumbent on myself to give the wee guy as much direction as it takes to make the correct choices

Having 2 daughters of my own this was never really an issue for me before and has raised it's head for me rather late in life however hopefully natural order will lend a hand in him making the correct decisions

I do confess that it's a rather worrying scenario not knowing which way the leaf may fall but I have been working on my psychological subterfuge just on the off chance that things don"t go as plainly as I"m hoping for

HH?

Last edited:
There but for the grace of God go I!!!!!

Coming from a family of mixed religion I was allowed to make my own choices as to which team I supported

I was never encouraged by family indeed I was dissuaded from following either of the OLD FIRM sides Alas there is no longer an OLD FIRM since 2012

However as I've stated before on this site as an 8 year old boy brought up in Easterhouse and who's LOCAL team had just become Champions of Europe with total innocence of childhood I was lucky enough to form opinions and make the correct decision

A lot of my decision making in the subject came from attending a Catholic school and being immersed in the Celtic tradition Not through the school curriculum but learning from my peers at school

My only real Celtic minded relative was my maternal grandfather who I seldom saw

My father was from Aberdeen and not particularly interested in football although if pressed would say he had a soft spot for Aberdeen however if asked the question 'who do you support '? his stock answer would be 'my wife and 3 weans'

My paternal grandfather was an avid football supporter Possibly a Rangers fan but this was never disclosed to me even in later life andU was 29 years old when he passed away
Indeed it was him who took me to my 1st Celtic match He never took me to see Celtic again and in fairness I never knew him to go and watch Rangers despite the nearness to Ibrox where he lived

The fact that when he and my grandmother and my father moved to Glasgow from Aberdeen in1948 and took up residence in a flat on Harrison Dr just off Rd a stone's throw away from old Stairway 13 at Ibroc
The fact that he also had a Masonic parchment half in English Half in Latin hung on his bedroom wall may also have been an indicator as to where his allegiances may have lain

It is now my turn to hope tthat history repeats itself

My eldest daighter's man is a HUN but through mutual respect we NEVER discuss our footballing allegiances
Oh sometimes I'll comiserste with him in a rather disguised condescending manner when the footballing Gods plot against his favourites but I tend to temper it with a dose of 'serves you fuckin' right' kind of pity

He and my daughter have 3 young infant sons the eldest just turned 4 years old

When he was born my daughter said to me diplomatically ' we've decided to let Rory support either St Mirren or Patrick Thistle if he shows an interest in football'

Knowing where the conversation was heading I used my personal experience and replied that as soon as he went to school he'd soon make up his own mind as to where his allegiances lie

No pressure or influence would be placed on the wee guy from me but I sometimes think does his father play by the same rules?

So far I've never heard Rory mention being interested in football
Indeed at 4 years old his interest seems to start and end with PAW PATROL. PJ MASK and DANIEL IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

2019 will be the BIG year for him Starting primary school and from what I gather a non denominational one

This is when a little psychological subterfuge may need to come into play on my part

Having a father who is a HUN and going to school with classmates who may have been brought up in HUN tradition he could very well be open to peer pressure away from my seeing eyes

I fervently hope that being made aware of a very successful Celtic team and a rank rotten SEVCO team might in itself influence his decision making If indeed he follows football at all

So my plan is to monitor the situation closely in silent observation but if any HUN tendencies begin to manifest themselves or it becomes evident that he may be leaning towards SEVCO I might have to try and deter such innocent folly

As I said earlier 'there but for the grace of God go I' so I feel it incumbent on myself to give the wee guy as much direction as it takes to make the correct choices

Having 2 daughters of my own this was never really an issue for me before and has raised it's head for me rather late in life however hopefully natural order will lend a hand in him making the correct decisions

I do confessed that it's a rather worrying scenario not knowing which way the leaf may fall but I have been working on my psychological subterfuge just on the off chance that things don"t go as plainly as I"m hoping for

HH?
Thannk you for that insight, Bill

Generally speaking, apples rarely fall far from the tree (don't know about oranges mind); however - if your Daughter and her man are true to their word (and there's no reason to suggest otherwise) then your Grandson has an opportunity to form his own opinion (with maybe a slight nudge from Grandad).

We often make a joke of the: "your grandchildren will be Celtic fans" premise, but there's no smoke without fire and in the current climate, we do see a lot more of the young Celtic fans emerging from the less traditional environments.

As long as he remains healthy and happy, then i'm sure you won't give two figs who he supports, Bill, but there's a lot to be said about the strength of Grandfatherly persuasion and the influence of wee 'prompts' in a particular direction.

Members online

Back