Transfer Rumours

I'd agree with strengthening LB, CH & CM, along with Jota & CCV but I personally would still love a free scoring striker mainly for domestic matches when the bus is parked. Kyogo and Giakoumakis are excellent but both have missed large chunks of this last season through injury.
I understand that view BB about the strikers, but we will be in far better shape next season.
Kyogo was overworked leading to his injury with GG not up to speed, yet thankfully that workload was able to be shared about better with a fit GG and the arrival of meada also.
Next season, with all 3 available from the off, then the workload can be shared about much better, and also think that we would really struggle to get better value for money and quality that we already have in the strikers role imo

I'd agree with strengthening LB, CH & CM, along with Jota & CCV but I personally would still love a free scoring striker mainly for domestic matches when the bus is parked. Kyogo and Giakoumakis are excellent but both have missed large chunks of this last season through injury.
Agreed a 3rd striker is required to compete at all levels moving maeda Abada or young Kenny in there is not the answer .

I want a footballing beast for DM. To replace big Nir is a priority, particularly for the CL. We have to have the ability to close down/bolster the midfield if necessary. good Euro sides will counter Angeball mercilessly when our energy dips unless we can adjust.
i was hoping we might just get another attacking midfielder and a few inside rights

just inacase we fancy the trusted lennon tactics

in fact bin the full backs and get 3 inside rights and a few inside lefts to balance it out

we could even just buy 15 strikers and have no defence because attack is the best form of defence

and get a goalie who can up and under the ball 80 yards and charge

I want a footballing beast for DM. To replace big Nir is a priority, particularly for the CL. We have to have the ability to close down/bolster the midfield if necessary. good Euro sides will counter Angeball mercilessly when our energy dips unless we can adjust.
Decent shout sandman, but to possibly adjust to accommodate a proper DM like you are looking for, I think will possibly call for a change in formation imo.
I can't see Ange actually changing with using a 3 man front line, but that would still require the wide men to track back also.
Sticking with a 3 man midfield with calmac used more as a playmaker and able to dictate the tempo of our play, has been great to watch, yet at times, especially in European football we have looked a man light in midfield imo.
So to accomadate a proper DM, we may well have to think of opting to possibly a 3CB option to suit the players we have potentially within the squad.
Have always thought that having options available in formation is required, especially with the vast difference you can face with top CL teams against the shit within Scotland.
Will be interesting to see how Ange is going to tackle that dilemma that he now faces.

I agree with Sandman. I think Ange will be pragmatic enough to realise, that we will need to adapt our game in Europe, and that a good defensive midfielder is an absolute necessity. We need to be realistic and recognise this is not the 70s. We are now viewed as a weaker side. So we need to do what such sides do. Adapt, to eke out results. It is the way of modern European football. It is the only way to gain a modicum of success. Even the very best teams do it when they need to.

Last edited:
I agree with Sandman. I think Ange will be pragmatic enough to realise, that we will need to adapt our game in Europe, and that a good defensive midfielder is an absolute necessity. We need to be realistic and recognise this is not the 70s. We are now viewed as a weaker side. So we need to do what such sides do. Adapt, to eke out results. It is the way of modern European football. It is the only way to gain a modicum of success. Even the very best teams do it when they need to.
We might already have such a player with guchi for all we know POD?
Still got a feeling that guchi could become a very big player for us next season imo, well hoping so, and Ange judgement about the players he has bought into the club to date has been brilliant to date, so who's to say that guchi can't be another one?

Decent shout sandman, but to possibly adjust to accommodate a proper DM like you are looking for, I think will possibly call for a change in formation imo.
I can't see Ange actually changing with using a 3 man front line, but that would still require the wide men to track back also.
Sticking with a 3 man midfield with calmac used more as a playmaker and able to dictate the tempo of our play, has been great to watch, yet at times, especially in European football we have looked a man light in midfield imo.
So to accomadate a proper DM, we may well have to think of opting to possibly a 3CB option to suit the players we have potentially within the squad.
Have always thought that having options available in formation is required, especially with the vast difference you can face with top CL teams against the shit within Scotland.
Will be interesting to see how Ange is going to tackle that dilemma that he now faces.
Yeah, I mean have a DM on the bench for adjusting to requirements. Expect even in CL Ange will start on the front foot as per usual.

For once i agree wholeheartedly with you :rolleyes:

joking aside, hic, it's a lengthy reply, as its just me, a bottle of jack, a near roached reefer and Led Zep for company, i'll reason as opposed to rant, oh and i had to reply to someone, your number came up

We've seen in europe against even a half decent calibre of opposition with adequate technical ability in possession and tactical coaching, once you get beyond our press, its a potential feast for a clever forward. Angeball (Part 1) had serious flaws for many reasons, going forward we looked awesoe but going backwards it was chaos at times.

I always find the answers in analysing our performance's at that level rather than domestically, as tactics/styles win games without parking the bus. We beat Ferencvaros, Betis at home with a second string/great performance about heart and desire. Away to Betis, was too early defensively. Strangely, Leverkusen 4-0 was the night i gained my faith in the managers philosophy. That night while most were looking for a length of rope, i saw it for what it was, we created more in that match than we did the previous 2 seasons in Europe against a pretty high calibre opponent. Should have been 2 up before we gave them 2 goals. Should have scored another 2 before they killed it through chasing the game. 4-0 going on 4-4 i saw.

But i made it to Paradise for the Bodo game where we faced a team that had been coached for several seasons it looked to play against teams like us. We were made for them and they made us look ordinary while in 3rd gear despite budgets. It took a ball down the wings where there was space to receive, due to our inverted full-backs central position.
From there on your full backs are at full pelt to recover their position, leaving central runners a clear path to our box. Centre half (CCV/Starfelt) initially move wide to provide cover for Taylor who leaves his central position to get backin place. He bursts his balls to get there, is fucked and generally puts in a desperate/last ditch tackle, is turned, forward now able to get head up with time to pick a pass. The incoming runners from CM are unmarked. CH's with nobody to mark as the sole forward is wide naturally endeavour to get back into their normal zonal type positions and are faced with 3 or 4 runners. A pass later pulls CCV or CS out of position towards the ball and then it's a matter of picking the correct pass for the opposition team as we saw.

I've picked the Bodo game at Paradise as the example simply as they were the team that exposed us more than any other. They were very decent technically, but tactically were the most impressive team i think i've seen in the flesh. They moved like something Lennono would capture, we had no answer.

I guess my long winded rant boils down to where i/we think we are exposed and this is in a real holding midfieder. We currently have centre half's covering the runners wide, whereby we need a proper trouble seeker who would snuff this out. In our system though they need real pace to get there quickly. This would leave our CH's in place, our inverted full backs tracking runners rather than leaving them and as a result a back 4/5 in place rather than in panic.

I see people think we need a forward, a Larsson yes, but Kyogo/Maeda will be the front 2 of choice leaving GG to cover/come off the bench. It will take a lot of money to get better than them. I think GG will score goals against anyone, he's a proper finisher based on the type of goals scored. Another IMO would just be for the sake of it unless a class act. Abada did well when required, he is far from perfect but will improve. IMO we need money spent on solidifying the team, i don't think the Club will spend the money required to secure a player better than the front 3.

There i've said it, now i can relax and pish myself without fear of forgetting my train of though

Members online

Latest posts

Back