Truth or Dare ??

Think the bottom line is he just doesn’t have the mental toughness to cut it at a top club like Celtic where the pressure to win every game is enormous. Certain players rise to it like Henrik, Broony & Caesar & other players, no less talented, can’t handle it.
I must admit I like him as a player but he’s not tough enough mentally to play for Celtic. Cut our losses & say thank you & good luck elsewhere & let the rest of our squad make history.
10 in a row here we go! ?
Must apologise as I was opining about Ntcham, must have cut to another thread then read this one.
If we are talking about Griff, he is a tough wee cookie & I hope he is sharing & talking to the right people. I wish him well in his life & hope he can banish his demons. He, most certainly has the balls & the character to be a Celtic player. I’ve a feeling his goals are gonna be instrumental in leading us to the Holy Grail ?

I was pointing out that it is easier to feel optImistic when your financial safety net allows mistakes to be made in the knowledge that you can continually try again until you get the desired result. I was not equating wealth with happiness. Your question - go on, you answer first. How would you feel?
Get hold of a book called Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman. Wealth does not protect you against illness, bereavement or relationship problems.

Trumps failure as a businessman are you serious?
do you mean failure like when George best was lying in bed with miss world wondering where it all went wrong kind of failure?

As one of the richest most powerful men in the world whatever you think of him he's certainly not a failure.
He’s been bankrupt umpteen times & got his millions from his daddy, which he lied about!
He’s a disgusting human being who, the quicker justice catches up with him, the better a world we’ll be living in!

Must apologise as I was opining about Ntcham, must have cut to another thread then read this one.
If we are talking about Griff, he is a tough wee cookie & I hope he is sharing & talking to the right people. I wish him well in his life & hope he can banish his demons. He, most certainly has the balls & the character to be a Celtic player. I’ve a feeling his goals are gonna be instrumental in leading us to the Holy Grail ?
Would like to see us play 2 up front a lot more this season .Griff n Eddy ?

Would like to see us play 2 up front a lot more this season .Griff n Eddy ?
I totally agree. That’s the Celtic Way?? And we should also always have two hungry talented strikers on the bench to come on if/when needed. We’ve always scored more goals than the opposition & the past two seasons playing with one striker (whether through injuries or tactical) has been tough to watch at times.
Wanna see us win 9 IAR in true Celtic style ?

Most spfl games we should be able to play two up top and go all out attack. Would be nice too see us playing with a bit of quick forward passing an creating more chances. I still don't get why we cross so much when nobody can head the ball. French Eddy's a big string guy but useless in the air someone should teach him how to head the ball an it would add 10 goals a season to his game

Thier was a match last season were ntcham got sent off I remember thinking he wanted to be sent off before that match I had no doubts abouts him after that I watched how things went the more I watched the more I was convinced he wanted to leave celtic. I would have respected him a lot more if he would have said "I want to leave"but he didn't .people like lustig larsson mc stay mc neill benkovic leave our club with respect and blessings people of ntcham type fade away.

Thier was a match last season were ntcham got sent off I remember thinking he wanted to be sent off before that match I had no doubts abouts him after that I watched how things went the more I watched the more I was convinced he wanted to leave celtic. I would have respected him a lot more if he would have said "I want to leave"but he didn't .people like lustig larsson mc stay mc neill benkovic leave our club with respect and blessings people of ntcham type fade away.
Yeah the St. Mirren match. It was a totally amateur performance that night. But in hindsight, there was more going on behind the scenes we weren’t aware of regarding Dembele’s exit & Rodgers bullshit that he was pedalling at the time.
But you’re right, it’s been down hill since for Ntcham as I can’t recall him putting in a performance since then ?

Last edited:
Get hold of a book called Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman. Wealth does not protect you against illness, bereavement or relationship problems.
Come off it doc, I did not say that. Look at the relationship between poverty and illness ( both mental and physical). The figures are quite lopsided are they not. Ps. I know that book - some interesting thoughts but no cure all. Anyway back to work. HH

Doc, I really don't mean to sound dismissive of psychological study and the many theories contained within (I must emphasise the theory part).

I believe that given the appropriate subject of study, then it can help certain individuals to adopt alternative behaviours which might help them to enhance their standing and become more productive; particularly in the area of sport, where confidence plays such a big part in an athlete's ability to perform at their peak.

However, in everyday terms, there is no application of psychology which can benefit anyone until an event or an incident has occurred or taken place. The predictive rationale found in traditional sciences and conventional medicine are based on thousands of years of study and application and have been honed to reliably predict an outcome.

Psychology is still a relatively new branch of science and while it has carved a nice niche for itself, it is still subject to major scrutiny and questioning due to the vast array of variations in opinion and methodology.

Psychologists appear to be constantly at odds with themselves as they try to redefine behaviour and past theory - there slso seems to be extreme differences in the practical application of psychotherapeutic techniques.

You used an example of an 8-year-old not being invited to a party, but many psychological theorists would suggest that the vast majority of that age group are still very egocentric and not fully in tune with their environment.

I'm not qualified to determine the relevance of that theory, but an adult considering the wealth/happiness balance would have far more understanding of causal effect based on their experiences than an 8-year-old would.

If stress and anxiety are contributing factors to an individual's physical wellbeing, then access to cash riches would enable them to eat a more balanced and organic diet and live in a comfort more attuned to their health needs.

Money and wealth is not a sustainable solution to poor mental health, but a more balanced distribution of resources can be.

Last edited:
Doc, I really don't mean to sound dismissive of psychological study and theory (but I must emphasise the theory part).

I believe that given the appropriate subject of study, then it can help certain individuals to adopt alternative behaviours that might help them to enhance their standing and become more productive; particularly in sport, where confidence plays such a big part in an athlete's ability to perform at their peak.

However, in everyday terms there is no application of psychology which can benefit anyone until an event or an incident has occurred. In many ways, the predictive rationale found in traditional sciences and conventional medicine are based on thousands of years of study and application.

Psychology is still a relatively new branch of science and while it has carved a nice niche for itself, it is still subject to scrutiny and questioning due to the whole vast array of variations in opinion and methodology.

Psychologists appear to be constantly at odds with themselves as they try to redefine behaviour and past theory - and there seems to be extreme differences in the practical application of psychotherapeutic techniques.

You used an example of an 8-year-old not being invited to a party, but many psychological theorists would suggest that the vast majority of that age group are still very egocentric and not fully in tune with their environment.

I'm not qualified to determine the relevance of that theory, but an adult considering the wealth/happiness balance would have far more understanding of causal effect based on their experiences than an 8-year-old would.

If stress and anxiety are contributing factors to an individual physical wellbeing, then access to cash riches would enable them to eat a more balanced and organic diet and live in a comfort more attuned to their health needs.

Money and wealth is not a sustainable solution to poor mental health, but a more balanced distribution of resources can be.
Well hark at you SP. Many talents hidden under those fancy Dan trousers you purport to wear ???

Well hark at you SP. Many talents hidden under those fancy Dan trousers you purport to wear ???
All trousers and no mouth, Lemon.

I'm not against any study or practice that's going to benefit folk, but I'm sure Shammy will back me and say that we've encountered too many "quacks" in our line of work.

I appreciate that psychotherapy is a completely different discipline to standard psychology and that it leans more towards changing behaviours with chemical intervention, but it is still an unknown quantity in relation to physics, chemistry and biology.

All trousers and no mouth, Lemon.

I'm not against any study or practice that's going to benefit folk, but I'm sure Shammy will back me and say that we've encountered too many "quacks" in our line of work.

I appreciate that psychotherapy is a completely different discipline to standard psychology and that it leans more towards changing behaviours with chemical intervention, but it is still an unknown quantity in relation to physics, chemistry and biology.

Most of the quacks in our line of work are in fact quackers themselves. ???

OK Next May when I get to Scotland in my talk about the Psychology of a Celtic supporter I will also talk about how we grow up thinking pessimistically or optimistically. There certainly seems to be interest in this. The wealthy do of course have more advantages in material terms but watch out for simply thinking 'rich bastards'. That's too simplistic. They are not immune to trauma no matter how wealthy. Since no one has answered my question about the 8 year old child let me tell you that a pessimist would feel very hurt and assume that they had been shunned and excluded from the party. They would assume that the birthday child did not like them. The optimistic child however would simply assume that the postman had lost the invitation and simply turn up at the party carrying a present. It's all to do with whether the lack of invitation is Personal or Impersonal. I would contend that few people reading the question would have given that explanation either as a child or as a parent of the child. . I must say that i am somewhat shocked by the lack of understanding of the huge advances in modern psychology and so that might perhaps explain why I've been invited to teach at 4 locations in Europe next year. Thanks for the comments but I really do have to get back to work. Pavlov's work in 1902 is hardly modern.......

Members online

Latest posts

Back