Ukraine Vs Scotland Nations league Group B1 decider Tuesday 19:45 CPT Krakow Polska

Really hope so anaw TTQ , must admit I was sceptical about his appointment to the post.
Thought it smacked of a 'gagging order' contract from the SFA but it wasn't only that.

I was also sceptical about his ability for playing attacking football, his defensive qualities were never in question having seen what he'd done at killie.
His team knew all about that side of the game.

Going forward though?
I wasnt convinced he was the man to lead Scotland.
How we started the World Cup Qualifying campaign early last year.
Tbf a 2-2 draw at home to the Austrians at the time didnt appear to be a disaster of a start, especially when we had to come back to equalise twice in that game , 85th minute from McGinn to nick a point from a decent Austria side but later we found out just how costly that start would be, the first 4 games sealed our fate , that game was followed by a 1-1 draw in Israel, 4-0 @home V The Faroes and the 2-0 defeat in Copenhagen and Denmark were out of sight 4games from 10 and were playing for 2nd place, 7pts shipped 5pts from 12 the Danes with 12/12.
His insistence on playing Hanley, and Mctominey as 1 of 3 at the back right side made no sense to me.
From there though we go on an incredible run of winning all 6 of our last games to take an unlikely 2nd place and play off spot beating Denmark at hampden to set up the disaster play off V Ukraine with a back 3 of Cooper, Hanley, Mctominey, asking for trouble and we got spanked.

Hes proved me wrong happy to say, not just for topping a nations league table but also his guiding us to our first major finals in a generation.
That win against Serbia to qualify ( albeit the *covid empty stadium season) beforehand was impressive. Though our actual Euro campaign, largely forgettable.
We really missed the fans.
Wembley aside, 1 goal from calmac and the Marshall disaster at hampden very disappointing.
Still we could see improvements.
These were very decent teams.

Now Hanley isnt in the side ( long may that continue), weve pulled off some impressive eye catching results.

A top tier European side, dont think anyone saw that coming aye it could've been different had we played in Ukraine with that side but not our fault and impressive again.

If he decides he wants another crack at the Euros he deserves it.
SFA should be sorting out an offer now, though no one can blame him if he wants a club position and he will get an EPL club now I'm sure.

Would seem almost unthinkable for him not to be the head coach now and who could we replace him with anyway?
Answers on a postcard.

Edit: It sure does help when the majority of the Scotland side have come through the Celtic set up in recent seasons, they all know each other very well and can translate that fast tempo pressing game manufactured at CP into the Scottish team has to be said that's always going to make things easier.
Think we all had those doubts. He seems to at last stopped being a Kilmarnock manager. Defensive and solid and now seems to be playing in a system that suits us. Even if we’re not world beaters I’d always prefer we try to win games by being attacking as much as possible.

He’s certainly earned the right to choose if he continues. The team seems reasonably young to me except methuselah in goals, but he’s still going strong 💪

Would be good to see us with a proper goalscorer though.

Think we all had those doubts. He seems to at last stopped being a Kilmarnock manager. Defensive and solid and now seems to be playing in a system that suits us. Even if we’re not world beaters I’d always prefer we try to win games by being attacking as much as possible.

He’s certainly earned the right to choose if he continues. The team seems reasonably young to me except methuselah in goals, but he’s still going strong 💪

Would be good to see us with a proper goalscorer though.
It's the one thing that's holding us back.
Theres real quality in defence and midfield.
In defence we have two of Europe's best left backs in KT and Robertson, Hickey at 20 doing ever so well, Mctominey is keeping out £60 million Real Madrid cast off 30yr old Casemiro ( man utd transfer dealings really need to be reviewed £80 million for McGuire fs) and Hendry looks like he will be first choice from now on , with McKenna who's doing well at Forest, his games come on leaps and bounds. Taylor also playing really well at champions league level RB too.
Gordon's still a world class shot stopper.

Midfield, more quality in Calmac, McGinn Armstrong all top level players calmac playing in the champions league. As is Jack but too inconsistent.
Wingers Christie ( can see him moving to a bigger club soon), Fraser at Newcastle both EPL players.

Just Adams ( good player), Dykes does ok for Scotland not so much at QPR and Nisbet has been in and out of the squad.
Even an argument for McKay who's doing well at hearts and playing European football in the conference.
That front 3 /4 will be found out in the A tier I worry though.
We could do with another quality striker to help share the burden between Adams and Dykes , somebody in the EPL must have a Scottish granny?

It's the one thing that's holding us back.
Theres real quality in defence and midfield.
In defence we have two of Europe's best left backs in KT and Robertson, Hickey at 20 doing ever so well, Mctominey is keeping out £60 million Real Madrid cast off 30yr old Casemiro ( man utd transfer dealings really need to be reviewed £80 million for McGuire fs) and Hendry looks like he will be first choice from now on , with McKenna who's doing well at Forest, his games come on leaps and bounds. Taylor also playing really well at champions league level RB too.
Gordon's still a world class shot stopper.

Midfield, more quality in Calmac, McGinn Armstrong all top level players calmac playing in the champions league. As is Jack but too inconsistent.
Wingers Christie ( can see him moving to a bigger club soon), Fraser at Newcastle both EPL players.

Just Adams ( good player), Dykes does ok for Scotland not so much at QPR and Nisbet has been in and out of the squad.
Even an argument for McKay who's doing well at hearts and playing European football in the conference.
That front 3 /4 will be found out in the A tier I worry though.
We could do with another quality striker to help share the burden between Adams and Dykes , somebody in the EPL must have a Scottish granny?
Man U transfer dealings are absolutely crazy. Least said about it the better.

As for our Scottish forwards I honestly can't think of any that would get in the squad, never mind in the team ahead of Adams or Dykes.

Griffiths - fucked it unfortunately

Shankland - He's been moving up the levels but don't know that he'll make any difference yet. Maybe come good in next season or so but its hard to imagine at the moment.

Nisbet - still injured but might be a decent shout if he makes a full recovery and he's only 25.

Stewart - The boy at Sunderland I think is banging in some goals in the championship. Not sure he's any better than Adams or Dykes but they love him down there.

We need to get better at planning ahead SFA should be identifying these players at younger age and making sure they have all the skills. What's the point of centre for excellence if we can't produce players. I appreciate the clubs have the most influence here but the SFA should be able to do something. I don't know what their purpose is otherwise. That's another discussion I suppose.

Right that's the longest post I think I've ever done Winter. I'm away for a lie doon!

As for our Scottish forwards I honestly can't think of any that would get in the squad, never mind in the team ahead of Adams or Dykes.

Shankland - He's been moving up the levels but don't know that he'll make any difference yet. Maybe come good in next season or so but its hard to imagine at the moment.

Nisbet - still injured but might be a decent shout if he makes a full recovery and he's only 25.

Stewart - The boy at Sunderland I think is banging in some goals in the championship. Not sure he's any better than Adams or Dykes but they love him down there.

We need to get better at planning ahead SFA should be identifying these players at younger age and making sure they have all the skills. What's the point of centre for excellence if we can't produce players. I appreciate the clubs have the most influence here but the SFA should be able to do something. I don't know what their purpose is otherwise. That's another discussion I suppose.

Right that's the longest post I think I've ever done Winter. I'm away for a lie doon!
We also have Forrest , not played much but good back up if required

So am I, starting to get double vision

Members online

Back