Undermined, Biased and Agenda-Driven - Alex Thomson's Flawed anti-Celtic Broadcast

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Undermined, Biased and Agenda-Driven - Alex Thomson's Flawed anti-Celtic Broadcast...latest from Niall - a horrible subject but one we have had to deal with over the past few weeks...

Niall needs to be commended once more for all of the time, effort and research he has put into this topic.

Thompson should take notes from our friend and perhaps understand the true nature of journalism. To be objective, non-prejudicial and open to all sides of the argument.

A fatally flawed piece of headline copy which has once again failed the survivors of abuse which it was intended (one would assume) to serve.

Excellent work as always by Niall and kudos to you David for providing our man with the appropriate platform to file his opposing editorial.

Thompson's article refers to an era when EVERY institution and organisation was infiltrated by organised evil. It was a societal scourge and there are now child protection laws in place to counter it. Even yet the scum can slip the net as was the case this year when the Boston Red Sox had to fire a clubhouse attendant.
It's no accident this comes out at the same time as the below. Sickly, synical deflection.

Great article Niall (y)

Said last night after it aired it was a programme that ignored the elephant in the room which was the SFA , and was more of an ambulance chasing exercise by AT , by highlighting legal standings and the solicitors who are dealing with theses cases

He ignored the victims completley

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for taking the time out to read and comment. Not exactly and easy subject.
Credit to David and The Celtic Star. They have been front and centre since Alex Thomson's initial 'watch this space' tweet two weeks ago. I've only written a few articles to back that hard work up.
What I'd hoped rather naively as it turned out was Alex Thomson would be fair and balanced. Instead he used Celtic's name to sensationalise a subject that deserved better.
It's also disappointing how little support for the club-clearly being singled out- has come from other quarters of Celtic media.
SMSM is no surprise and I appreciate its not a subject that will get websites 'hits' but when the club is being poorly represented by a broadcaster of such repute and with such reach I expected more.
This is a Scottish issue re the boys clubs however the abuse permeates through every part of society. Celtic may indeed be part of that but the solution will come from recognising mistakes were made everywhere, acknowledging it and learning from it together.

Thanks everyone for taking the time out to read and comment. Not exactly and easy subject.
Credit to David and The Celtic Star. They have been front and centre since Alex Thomson's initial 'watch this space' tweet two weeks ago. I've only written a few articles to back that hard work up.
What I'd hoped rather naively as it turned out was Alex Thomson would be fair and balanced. Instead he used Celtic's name to sensationalise a subject that deserved better.
It's also disappointing how little support for the club-clearly being singled out- has come from other quarters of Celtic media.
SMSM is no surprise and I appreciate its not a subject that will get websites 'hits' but when the club is being poorly represented by a broadcaster of such repute and with such reach I expected more.
This is a Scottish issue re the boys clubs however the abuse permeates through every part of society. Celtic may indeed be part of that but the solution will come from recognising mistakes were made everywhere, acknowledging it and learning from it together.
Again, and at the risk of sounding patronising, it is the Celtic community who owe you both a debt of gratitude for having the courage to write about a subject which for far too long has been the T-Rex in the room.

The vast vast majority of Celtic-minded folk want this sordid matter addressed publicly and the appropriate action taken that is deserving to all parties. The perpetrators should be punished and the survivors provided with recompense for what they had to endure.

Not one of us believes that the club should NOT be held accountable if it were in any way complicit; however - in spite of this so-called new revelatory evidence, there is still absolutely nothing that suggests that the actual football club were in any way aware of the damage that these men did to those poor boys.

Once more, the wickedest crime known to humanity has been weaponised in an attempt to condemn and vilify a very broad community and hundreds (if not thousands) of the other rats who have perpetrated such vile acts avoid the spotlight being directed upon them and are allowed to scurry back under their rocks and take pause before they abuse again.

We need powerful voices like your own, Niall, to continue the questioning of what it actually is that the media is trying to achieve here.

Are they sincere in their attempt to uncover systematic and institutional child abuse? Or, are they only invested in pandering to the significant white, protestant majority throughout this island?

Tenuous links and lazy investigation is not evidence of complicity. The words 'clutching' and 'at', along with 'straws' spring to mind. The Channel 4 News editorial team might be proud of their long history of tackling tough topics, but they dropped the ball here. This was an opportunity to highlight historical abuse upon a grand scale across the length and breadth of Scotland. This was an opportunity to scrutinise the establishment and institutions themselves to see how deep the wound lies. This was an opportunity to eventually enforce change by shaming the officers of these institutions for their own inertia in dealing with this matter historically (particularly the SFA), but yet again - they took the guided tour of easy hitsville, just to garner a bit of interest.

Thank you Niall. Thank you David. If these poor lads throughout Scotland eventually do get properly recognised, it will only be through the committment of true men like yourself digging deep to find the truth.

Celtic fans have been quiet on this subject for too long. All the other Celtic blogs did not cover this very difficult subject this week and it is not a subject that I've written about on The Celtic Star or elsewhere before this Alex Thomson intervention.

Niall's article last night was brilliant and later this morning I intend to take Thomson to task on a crucial item in his report and produce a witness who is not hiding behind anonymity to state FACTS about LIES that were alleged in that report.

If we published articles on the basis of someone messaging us to say 'spotted Victor Wanyama at Edinburgh airport' we'd have written Wanyama's in his way back story a dozen times. Surely the correct thing to do is check your facts before you press the publish button on a story or broadcast it on national television.

You checked Alex right?

Celtic fans have been quiet on this subject for too long. All the other Celtic blogs did not cover this very difficult subject this week and it is not a subject that I've written about on The Celtic Star or elsewhere before this Alex Thomson intervention.

Niall's article last night was brilliant and later this morning I intend to take Thomson to task on a crucial item in his report and produce a witness who is not hiding behind anonymity to state FACTS about LIES that were alleged in that report.

If we published articles on the basis of someone messaging us to say 'spotted Victor Wanyama at Edinburgh airport' we'd have written Wanyama's in his way back story a dozen times. Surely the correct thing to do is check your facts before you press the publish button on a story or broadcast it on national television.

You checked Alex right?
As you very correctly imply, David, a thorough investigation is predicated on the ability to follow the leads and link the evidence that is uncovered through hard work, study and patience.

It would be so easy for someone in a position like your own to formulate a story based entirely upon speculation to garner online traffic and easy hits.

That serves no purpose other than to massage an ego and generate some ad revenue.

The fact that your own platform has never resorted to this says more about your moral integrity than it ever does about your payscale.

I admire your stance on this matter and thank you for your efforts.

alex thomson showed himself up for what he actually is...i have zero respect for him...he has pandered to a support who were probably bombarding him with e mails for months...make no mistake.. this bias documentary came from the huns...cbc used the ticket office to train...since when...now we should bombared the scum bag..for the simple fact of being...well ..a scum bag

I applaud the victims for their immense courage in coming forward and i applaud our club for NOT turning them away but participating in getting the truth through a proper investigation and justice for the victims.

I can’t help but think where other clubs would fare nor indeed the BBC if indeed they had as much scrutiny however we know that denial and carpet sweeping is their gig.

Lest we forget its the victims that matter not point scoring finger pointing scum.

Never forget its the paedophile that is the evil abomination here and trying to deflect to a company serves no part in the acceptance of what the paedo done. How is that justice for the victim.

They need their paedophile perpetrator held accountable and see them accept what they did. Not a company.

Again we’re facing many campaigns to discredit, undermine and harm our club.

Anyone would think we we’re on the run to a 10IAR........ can’t be eh?

totally agree...get it sorted ...out in the open...but the agenda here is a disgrace.....what the huns are hoping for is not only does the investigation publicly shame our club only but the compen will bridge the financial gap between the clubs...they are counting on child abuse cases for success on the pitch...and thats the reality of it...they are scum bags of the highest order....thats why we should never shut up about gordon neely or harry dunn...its not point scoring..its called not letting the away with their sick campaign....whats the difference between us saying cbc was seperate to them sending victims to liquidators...nothing apart from zero scrutiny for them

Again, and at the risk of sounding patronising, it is the Celtic community who owe you both a debt of gratitude for having the courage to write about a subject which for far too long has been the T-Rex in the room.

The vast vast majority of Celtic-minded folk want this sordid matter addressed publicly and the appropriate action taken that is deserving to all parties. The perpetrators should be punished and the survivors provided with recompense for what they had to endure.

Not one of us believes that the club should NOT be held accountable if it were in any way complicit; however - in spite of this so-called new revelatory evidence, there is still absolutely nothing that suggests that the actual football club were in any way aware of the damage that these men did to those poor boys.

Once more, the wickedest crime known to humanity has been weaponised in an attempt to condemn and vilify a very broad community and hundreds (if not thousands) of the other rats who have perpetrated such vile acts avoid the spotlight being directed upon them and are allowed to scurry back under their rocks and take pause before they abuse again.

We need powerful voices like your own, Niall, to continue the questioning of what it actually is that the media is trying to achieve here.

Are they sincere in their attempt to uncover systematic and institutional child abuse? Or, are they only invested in pandering to the significant white, protestant majority throughout this island?

Tenuous links and lazy investigation is not evidence of complicity. The words 'clutching' and 'at', along with 'straws' spring to mind. The Channel 4 News editorial team might be proud of their long history of tackling tough topics, but they dropped the ball here. This was an opportunity to highlight historical abuse upon a grand scale across the length and breadth of Scotland. This was an opportunity to scrutinise the establishment and institutions themselves to see how deep the wound lies. This was an opportunity to eventually enforce change by shaming the officers of these institutions for their own inertia in dealing with this matter historically (particularly the SFA), but yet again - they took the guided tour of easy hitsville, just to garner a bit of interest.

Thank you Niall. Thank you David. If these poor lads throughout Scotland eventually do get properly recognised, it will only be through the committment of true men like yourself digging deep to find the truth.
And thank you SP for your kind words and of course your support. It is greatly appreciated. HH

This should have been a proper investigation into exposing paedophile rings operating in scottish football from kids level all the way through from the 70-80-90s

And it should have door stepped the SFA as to what they did in these time periods what actions they took , did victims report it to them ,what did they do

And why did it go on for 3 decades ?

instead AT went for the easy option ,,Celtic

The bulk of the second part of Channel 4's 'expose` ' was a strained effort to show that there was a close link between Celtic FC and the Celtic Boys Club - something that has never been denied by the club or the fans .
Alex Thomson visiting the Mitchell Library to 'uncover' evidence in old copies of The Celtic view was pathetic and embarrassing for any respected journalist .
Photos of the Celtic Pools/Ticket Office masquerading as The Celtic Boys Club premises was laughable .

I am no investigative journalist far less a top reporter for a TV News program with a legion of experienced researchers at their disposal - but even I could have made a better and more grounded program than this poor attempt .

This two-parter was publicised by Alex Thomson as exposing the child sex scandal in Scottish Football - well , he is a decade too late if he thinks this is a revelation ! There have been many news stories and court cases revealing the very facts that he claims as ''exclusive ' .
This poor attempt at investigative journalism will in the long run , I believe , harm Alex Thomson's reputation more than Celtic's .

HH

The bulk of the second part of Channel 4's 'expose` ' was a strained effort to show that there was a close link between Celtic FC and the Celtic Boys Club - something that has never been denied by the club or the fans .
Alex Thomson visiting the Mitchell Library to 'uncover' evidence in old copies of The Celtic view was pathetic and embarrassing for any respected journalist .
Photos of the Celtic Pools/Ticket Office masquerading as The Celtic Boys Club premises was laughable .

I am no investigative journalist far less a top reporter for a TV News program with a legion of experienced researchers at their disposal - but even I could have made a better and more grounded program than this poor attempt .

This two-parter was publicised by Alex Thomson as exposing the child sex scandal in Scottish Football - well , he is a decade too late if he thinks this is a revelation ! There have been many news stories and court cases revealing the very facts that he claims as ''exclusive ' .
This poor attempt at investigative journalism will in the long run , I believe , harm Alex Thomson's reputation more than Celtic's .

HH
It's a close link only on the same sense that the huns almost explain 35,000 unaccounted for years of Darwinian evolutionary theory as the "missing link".

I played for Dundee United SC when I was younger and beyond some compy tickets and a cast-off matchball, we had fuck all to do with the actual club.

4 of our team signed full-time contracts with United, but that was a matter of footballing ability, not club associations.

if i remember right Celtics boys club used to gather outside the celtic social club , they didn't have any premises that were there own

And anyone with a bit of common sense would look at the size of the pools office and wondered how the feck could you train in there it was tiny , did they run from room to room

Last edited by a moderator:
Back