Valencia

I remember the last time we played Valencia and were knocked out on penalties after drawing 1-1 on aggregate

We don't have a particularly great record against Spanish opposition apart from qualifying against Celta Vigo

Oh and a couple of pretty decent results against Barcelona?

Oh and a couple of creditable results against Real Madrid a 2-0 win at Parkhead and a 1-0 win at the Bernabau in Di Stefano's Testimonial

Oh and a 2d leg win v Real Sociedad at Parkhead ?

Maybe in retrospect not as negative a story as I 1st thought

MON the Hoops

HH?

Could have been better, could have been worse.

We have a puncher's chance over two legs if we're at it like Leipzig.

Get complacent or serve up yesterday's pish de resistance and we'll be picked off like day-glo Daesh at a a sniper's convention.

Hopefully the glamour of the tie will buck up the players to hit the heights again, immediately and consistently with Valencia on the horizon.

Valencia are a good team with a fair history in Europe ,thier form recently is about the same as ours,if Celtic field a strong team both home and away I think we have a good chance beat to them but we need to be at our best. Not a bad draw could have been worse HH

Last edited:
2 of their best players have just picked up injuries - supposedly both missing for 2/3 months.

So that’s better than nothing.

Hopefully they don’t spend fortunes in January though.

As for ourselves - this is a huge transfer window for us, as well as this season, we have the Champions League qualifiers in 6 months.

As we know - it shouldn’t have come to this. We’ve got guys like Tierney and Rogic playing through injuries, and McGregor and Eddy probably playing too much. It was always going to catch up with us.

And as we all know - there are too many squad players doing f.uck all.

There can be no excuses - Congerton has been here a while now. We also appointed Mick Doherty who was a highly rated scout for Everton and Chelsea. Brendan is responsible for all this.

We’ve brought in £27 million from Armstrong and Dembele, and we should have had money to spend from Europe regardless - it’s up to Lawwell and Rodgers to get deals done.

If not, one or both are culpable, and the fans deserve to know who and why.

I'm not as optimistic as some. Look at the results they have had this season. Apart from one tanking in the copa del rey (Barca) they have picked up some decent results or haven't been too far away against some top sides. They don't ship goals and that's against some of the best attacking players in the world. Take a look at thier goals conceded stats over the last season and this one, it's impressive.
If our defence isn't on it they are still more than capable of doing damage. A euro spot from thier leauge is out of reach for them so this comp is all they have. 8 points in the CL can't be sniffed at as well.
We missed some of the bigger teams but I don't think this is going to be the easy game some are making it out to be

I'm not as optimistic as some. Look at the results they have had this season. Apart from one tanking in the copa del rey (Barca) they have picked up some decent results or haven't been too far away against some top sides. They don't ship goals and that's against some of the best attacking players in the world. Take a look at thier goals conceded stats over the last season and this one, it's impressive.
If our defence isn't on it they are still more than capable of doing damage. A euro spot from thier leauge is out of reach for them so this comp is all they have. 8 points in the CL can't be sniffed at as well.
We missed some of the bigger teams but I don't think this is going to be the easy game some are making it out to be

We must be philosophical about this

Who really expects us to overcome Valencia?
Look at the evidence available

They play in a superior league The best in the world in the view of many

They receive millions in TV revenue as well as from their league

They have the clout to attract top quality players

They play against some of the best clubs in the world week in week out

We at the time of posting this message do not have a fit striker but hopefully by the time this tie comes around that will have changed

There IS a chance that we can turn them over especially at Parkhead in front of 60000 fervent supporters and the Disco Lights

Let's face it since BR arrived we have been punching above our weight in Europe by just qualifying for CL group stages 2 years running

Do I think we can go through I have to say yes it's possible. but the Board would have to show some willingness to afford BR some decent cash

Let's be as optimistic as we can be Enjoy Christmas and New Year

Let's start as League Leaders after the Winter Break with a healthy lead and crack on from there and let European matters take care of themselves

Would I take a TREBLE TREBLE over beating Valencia? Yes I would

If we beat Valencia could we progress further? It's possible but look what happened in 2002/2003 when we went to Seville We won NOTHING that season and in my opinion with a FAR better team than we have now although I do have some brilliant memories of that season

So let's not worry about Valencia until we need to because all of the worrying in the world won't alter a thing

Just my take on it I'm certain others will have their's and they'll be different from mine

HH?

Valencia - we all want a good showing but it mustn't jeopardise our domestic ambitions .

As BillCowie says - a Treble Treble means far more to most of us than a limited run in the Europa League - we're NOT going to win it with the quality of team we would face ( and the quality we have ) but neither do we want to be horsed !
Priorities - win the League , then the Scottish Cup , then we can seriously start thinking about the summer and the C.L. preparations .

Valencia - we all want a good showing but it mustn't jeopardise our domestic ambitions .

As BillCowie says - a Treble Treble means far more to most of us than a limited run in the Europa League - we're NOT going to win it with the quality of team we would face ( and the quality we have ) but neither do we want to be horsed !
Priorities - win the League , then the Scottish Cup , then we can seriously start thinking about the summer and the C.L. preparations .

Yup let's be
realistic without being negative or hyper positive

Can you imagine the Kudos a TREBLE TREBLE would give us? Can't imagine that ever being surpassed except perhaps by ourselves

The Dafties would be slashing their wrists and spouting their shite and bile

For almost 3 seasons now they've been 'Coming and Going For 55' where as we have been cruising along collecting Trophies Titles and Trebles throwing them an occasional bone by dropping points here and there but still keeping them in their place and laughing at their arrogance

Did anyone see the TWEET of their players trooping off the team bus at Easter Rd last night with Simply The Best booming out? Absolutely cringeworthy but totally in keeping with there sense of self delusion

If we beat Valencia great but we're not blowing our own trumpets saying that we will hence if we don't then no embarrassment

Keep things real and we"ll do just fine

HH?

Last edited:
Yup let's be
realistic without being negative or hype positive

Can you imagine the Kudos a TREBLE TREBLE would give us? Can't imagine that ever being surpassed except perhaps by ourselves

The Dafties would be slashing their wrists and spouting their shite and bile

For almost 3 seasons now they've been 'Coming and Going For 55' where as we have been cruising along collecting Trophies Titles and Trebles throwing them an occasional bone by dropping points here and there but still keeping them in their place and laughing at their arrogance

Did anyone see the TWEET of their players trooping off the team bus at Easter Rd last night with Simply The Best booming out? Absolutely cringeworthy but totally in keeping with there sense of self delusion

If we beat Valencia great but we're not blowing our own trumpets saying that we will hence if we don't then no embarrassment

Keep things real and do just fine

HH?
Totally agree with that pal,good post

2 of their best players have just picked up injuries - supposedly both missing for 2/3 months.

So that’s better than nothing.

Hopefully they don’t spend fortunes in January though.

As for ourselves - this is a huge transfer window for us, as well as this season, we have the Champions League qualifiers in 6 months.

As we know - it shouldn’t have come to this. We’ve got guys like Tierney and Rogic playing through injuries, and McGregor and Eddy probably playing too much. It was always going to catch up with us.

And as we all know - there are too many squad players doing f.uck all.

There can be no excuses - Congerton has been here a while now. We also appointed Mick Doherty who was a highly rated scout for Everton and Chelsea. Brendan is responsible for all this.

We’ve brought in £27 million from Armstrong and Dembele, and we should have had money to spend from Europe regardless - it’s up to Lawwell and Rodgers to get deals done.

If not, one or both are culpable, and the fans deserve to know who and why.
Hop it not the same old so,so,One the future today See Manny Perez,Calmac,extension need to spend Big this window hope it’s not the same old retoric fans will be really pissed off

I'm with the optimists on this one. Valencia struggle to win games this season. Celtic WILL strengthen in January. Get the cigars ready gents.
HH?

Treble treble all day long for me as a rule.
We are in the EL still.
If we don't go for it I'll be disappointed. This window is pivotal. Do it right and we sweep the domestics at a canter. Mibi have an extra away day for the lucky bastards that can go ?.
We are sitting on a bit of net £ player transfer wise. Hardly spent a bean bar Eddie in the summer. Few improved contracts. It's the only thing we can offer to keep players and protect the squad so it doesn't count in my book.
The hibs game was pish. The Motherwell game pass marks. Still down to the bare bones with a few players getting game time that we all wrote off. No harm some goals scored and pass marks all round.
Do it right this January celtic
1. We will have BR for the next season
2. Few of the "better journeyman" with skelfs in thier arse might stay on.
3. Chance of better players coming in.
4. We do fuck all. Morale drops. Regroup and still grind out the domestic campaign. 1,2&3 filter out up into the clouds. Square 1 again. Everyone fucks off.
5. Hope . 1,2&3 happen. CL money comes in. Fun fun fun.

.all eyes on p

With a successful transfer window and if the Bhoys play the way we know they can. We have a really good chance of getting through to the next round. ?

Back