Vintage clip of Celtic 1928

TET

Came across this old clip of Celtic v Queens Park in 1928

The referees outfit is quality

I think the striped team is Queens Park

Its silent but apparently McGrory and Thomson are playing.

The fixed video aint very mobile but hey ho. 1928

Does any of the older crew regards the video above know if McGrory played in any finals and did not score, his ratio would suggest almost a goal or two in every competitive game he played in.

Reactions: TET
Came across this old clip of Celtic v Queens Park in 1928

The referees outfit is quality

I think the striped team is Queens Park

Its silent but apparently McGrory and Thomson are playing.

The fixed video aint very mobile but hey ho. 1928

Was that you TET in the crowd just right of the goal post about half way up?

:LOL:

Does any of the older crew regards the video above know if McGrory played in any finals and did not score, his ratio would suggest almost a goal or two in every competitive game he played in.
Boab, Jimmy McGrory played in the Scottish Cup finals of 1925, 1928, 1931, 1933 and 1937, and scored in 1925, 1931 and 1933. He had a poor game in 1928 (which we lost 0-4 to Rangers) and although we won in 1937, it was Willie Buchan and Johnny Crum who scored the goals. DP

Boab, Jimmy McGrory played in the Scottish Cup finals of 1925, 1928, 1931, 1933 and 1937, and scored in 1925, 1931 and 1933. He had a poor game in 1928 (which we lost 0-4 to Rangers) and although we won in 1937, it was Willie Buchan and Johnny Crum who scored the goals. DP
Thanks for that David, my old man used to tell me stories and to be honest every game he spoke of the scorer was McGrory, he must have been something else in his day. My da always spoke also of the mighty Quinn.

You father sounds exactly like mine! McGrory was indeed something else. The goals scored are phenomenal, and all the more remarkable when one considers that Celtic in his day did not have a great TEAM. Plenty of great individuals - Patsy Gallacher, Jimmy Delaney, Tommy McInally - but they never really gelled as a team to beat Rangers on a consistent basis. So I think McGrory would have had to work for his goals. Wish he had never become a Manager, though. Far too nice a man, and he was far better as Public Relations Officer.

You father sounds exactly like mine! McGrory was indeed something else. The goals scored are phenomenal, and all the more remarkable when one considers that Celtic in his day did not have a great TEAM. Plenty of great individuals - Patsy Gallacher, Jimmy Delaney, Tommy McInally - but they never really gelled as a team to beat Rangers on a consistent basis. So I think McGrory would have had to work for his goals. Wish he had never become a Manager, though. Far too nice a man, and he was far better as Public Relations Officer.

Agreed i read his book a perfect gentleman respected every fan he met and every working man, when you read abot clowns like Kommins etc writing nonesense, these guys like McGrories etc were real men. and great ambassadors for the game and club.

My uncle Con would speak very highly of Johnny Crum and The Mighty Quinn as well as bit about Patsy Gallagher . I would tea books n go through leagues of the times n was always grateful to him for fleshing out these names I only knew from books. Willie Maley's The Story of The Celtic was probably the first book I ever read, been reading it ever since Highly recommended ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back