Walter Smith RIP

R.I.P Walter Smith.
By all accounts a decent man in and out of the football arena, my condolences to his family.
Can I just also say, a thread like this is what separates us from them.
We are not all just blind with hatred and bigotry as we have witnessed at times like these in other blogs.
The comments are respectful, as is only right given the circumstances.

I was an apprentice electrician in the late seventies for Lowden Bros Dundee and Walter was an armature motor winder with us at the same time.
We met him every day either in the machine loading bay or the Kingsway technical college and he often barked out orders to me and the other laddies at the time.
He also played for Dundee Utd under Jim McLean and if I wore my Celtic scarf especially after the
New Year's Old Firm game and 'they' got beat as in 1977 (Celtic 2 Them 0) he used to look for me and his boss Frankie M also a Celt to give us verbals...amongst other things!!

That was a hellish, cold, cold winter this side of the country.

He often punched me in the back of the head with a smile on his face while doing it.
On more than one occasion he grabbed my scarf and spat on it.
I was 16 and he was about 10-12 years older I think.
I had a horrible, terrible time with him back then.
I sometimes didn't want to go in to college and thought of rapping my apprenticeship.
If not for Hamish McAlpine, Kenny Cameron or Dennis Gillespie I probably would have.

There is a plethora of things he did and called me but judging by the guys and sympathies on here and your comments, its not something you probably would like to hear just now.... no-matter if is all true and witnessed by lots of other apprentices around me at that time.
I have already said as much on other platforms 7 or eight years ago.
I would disclose if that's what you want, otherwise I'll keep my counsel for now....

I was an apprentice electrician in the late seventies for Lowden Bros Dundee and Walter was an armature motor winder with us at the same time.
We met him every day either in the machine loading bay or the Kingsway technical college and he often barked out orders to me and the other laddies at the time.
He also played for Dundee Utd under Jim McLean and if I wore my Celtic scarf especially after the
New Year's Old Firm game and 'they' got beat as in 1977 (Celtic 2 Them 0) he used to look for me and his boss Frankie M also a Celt to give us verbals...amongst other things!!

He often punched me in the back of the head with a smile on his face while doing it.
I sometimes didn't want to go in to college and thought of rapping my apprenticeship.
If not for Hamish McAlpine, Kenny Cameron or Dennis Gillespie I probably would have.

There is a plethora of things he did and called me but judging by the guys and sympathies on here and your comments, its not something you probably would like to hear just now.... no-matter if is all true and witnessed by lots of other apprentices around me at that time.
I would disclose if that's what you want, otherwise I'll keep my counsel for now....
Fair point Jc, could be he grew up a wee bit after that?

We all have things in our past JC not everyone has a clean life and was pure
But look how you turned out that’s a credit to you.
From what you have said you were treated appallingly.
But you also showed true Class by keeping your counsel
That’s the mark of a Gent The Great JC

HH đź‘Ź

Back