We’ll need rub of the green in Rome

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Celtic's rub of the green in Rome, Lessons from Leipzig last year...Niall J looks back in a famous win this time last year in the Europa League for inspiration for tomorrow...COYBIG!

Hopefully we can wrap up qualification for this ASAP so we’re not having to juggle all comps and give key players a rest, especially before the cup final against the sevco
I think this is important that we don't burn players out, but remember too that there is prize money for points even if we have qualified (Group match victory = €570,000 and Group match draw = €190,000), so we don't want to risk losing significant sums of money (for Scottish teams at least).

On a kind of related subject. As further evidence of how poorly organised football is in Scotland, both Celtic & Rangers have to play important European games on Thursday 28th November, league games on Sunday 1st December, a Cup Final on Sunday 8th December and crucial Europa League qualifiers on Thursday 12th December. So what do our delightful SPFL do but go and shoehorn another league match into a crowded schedule on Wednesday 4th December in the build-up to the Cup Final! They must have surely known that there was a good chance that one or both of the Finalists would be involved in European action.

Thankfully it is both teams this year so one side doesn't have an advantage in the cup final, but it means that there is more chance of our teams doing less well in Europe due to tiredness or injury, which does nothing to improve our standing in European football.

I’ve never understood why more games are played at the worst time of year. It’s not just here either, klopp is on about playing 2 games in 24 hours with one in Qatar or summin.

Even at 500k, I’d rather give the top players a rest and lessen chance of injury. Some of these players are probably not far off 100k a month. And with the likes of Frimpong, it doesn’t mean the team would be weaker. I’d say the bigger incentive to win would be coefficient points. I read that we’ve already secured 15th for next season and should then only have 3 qualifiers?

I see Bolingoli is doubtful for tomorrow night's game. If Greg Taylor is to make his European debut for us then do you think Lennon might also start Johnny Hayes in front of him to offer more defensive protection down that left hand side?

Personally I'd stick by our trusted attacking options of Elyounoussi, Christie, Forest & Eddy in front of Broony & CalMac but wonder if Lennon may be tempted to try to tighten things up early on instead.

Celtic's rub of the green in Rome, Lessons from Leipzig last year...Niall J looks back in a famous win this time last year in the Europa League for inspiration for tomorrow...COYBIG!

Belief cap! That’s all the bhoys need ,they have that ,just the nerve to go for the jugular,not being ‘gung-ho ‘,just the conviction to believe in themselves,mon the hoops, hh

belief is the key to how Celtic do in Europe. How many times have we been beat and thought we just bottled it, or didn’t turn up against teams we should’ve? Zenit, AEK etc. This Europa run might be a blessing in disguise and get the players brimming.

Scottish teams seem to lack it when in Europe a lot, even the national team bottles it.

belief is the key to how Celtic do in Europe. How many times have we been beat and thought we just bottled it, or didn’t turn up against teams we should’ve? Zenit, AEK etc. This Europa run might be a blessing in disguise and get the players brimming.

Scottish teams seem to lack it when in Europe a lot, even the national team bottles it.
It's no Lazio I'm overly worried aboot, it's kill-their-own-Motherwell and their kamikaze death squad that give me the fear!

Members online

No members online now.

Back