We Are All James Mc Clean and Neil Lennon

I posted on the poppy thread a few days ago that I believe there is ample opportunity to pay respect for those that wish to do so without the players wearing poppies or a minutes silence at a football match.

Without this then we would not be chastised for ‘anti poppy’ behaviour and James MacLean would not be put in the position he finds himself in.

I don’t follow English football but of interest do any Japanese or German players (if there are any) wear a poppy on their strip.?
I don't know but Nemanja Matic has said he won't wear one, due to the atrocities inflicted on his home town in the late 90's by Nato led forces. Let's see how much criticism he comes in for. I'm going to stick my neck out and say none at all

This isn't directed at anyone on here it's just a general point but having to have this poppy debate every year is beyond tedious as all we do is open up the same old wounds and pass judgement on one another.

Everyone has their own views on the subject one way or another and just like on here not everyone will agree on what the poppy represents or why some want to wear them while others don't and that's because everyone sees the subject through the prism of their own experiences/beliefs/backgrounds/politics etc. but what pisses me off about this whole subject is the lack of respect and understanding on both sides of the debate and the rush to judge and denounce those who do and don't wear a poppy.

This is a highly emotive subject for society and even more so for the Celtic support. There are Irish Celtic fans and their families who have suffered immensely at the hands of the British State and it would be utterly obscene to expect them to wear a symbol that honours the dead of an army the British State sent to oppress them but on the other hand Celtic supporters and the family members of Celtic supporters died fighting for that army in both World Wars and it is equally obscene to berate them for wanting to honour their own who died in the horrific circumstances of war.

Whatever side of the debate you're on try seeing it from the other's perspective, it's not about who's right and who's wrong because there is no right and wrong here it's about showing other people a basic degree of human decency and respect regardless of you're own personal views. None of us have the right to vilify the other for wearing/not wearing a poppy and none of us have the right to impose our own personal slant on why someone chooses to wear/not wear one.

I always get a sense of unease at this time of year when we all funnel into Celtic Park and the whistle blows for the minute's silence. I stand there hoping nobody breaks that silence, not because of the inevitable frothing condemnation that's about to come our way from a hostile press or the weird jubilation and triumphalism the Sevvies indulge in because they revel in that condemnation and think they then own the moral high ground but because the breaking of that silence shows a basic lack of decency. Whatever our personal views may be on poppies or the crimes of the British State is it really too much to ask to keep a dignified silence once a year for a single minute for dead people and their loved ones? Especially when some of those dead people and their loved ones were/are fellow Celtic fans!

This isn't directed at anyone on here it's just a general point but having to have this poppy debate every year is beyond tedious as all we do is open up the same old wounds and pass judgement on one another.

Everyone has their own views on the subject one way or another and just like on here not everyone will agree on what the poppy represents or why some want to wear them while others don't and that's because everyone sees the subject through the prism of their own experiences/beliefs/backgrounds/politics etc. but what pisses me off about this whole subject is the lack of respect and understanding on both sides of the debate and the rush to judge and denounce those who do and don't wear a poppy.

This is a highly emotive subject for society and even more so for the Celtic support. There are Irish Celtic fans and their families who have suffered immensely at the hands of the British State and it would be utterly obscene to expect them to wear a symbol that honours the dead of an army the British State sent to oppress them but on the other hand Celtic supporters and the family members of Celtic supporters died fighting for that army in both World Wars and it is equally obscene to berate them for wanting to honour their own who died in the horrific circumstances of war.

Whatever side of the debate you're on try seeing it from the other's perspective, it's not about who's right and who's wrong because there is no right and wrong here it's about showing other people a basic degree of human decency and respect regardless of you're own personal views. None of us have the right to vilify the other for wearing/not wearing a poppy and none of us have the right to impose our own personal slant on why someone chooses to wear/not wear one.

I always get a sense of unease at this time of year when we all funnel into Celtic Park and the whistle blows for the minute's silence. I stand there hoping nobody breaks that silence, not because of the inevitable frothing condemnation that's about to come our way from a hostile press or the weird jubilation and triumphalism the Sevvies indulge in because they revel in that condemnation and think they then own the moral high ground but because the breaking of that silence shows a basic lack of decency. Whatever our personal views may be on poppies or the crimes of the British State is it really too much to ask to keep a dignified silence once a year for a single minute for dead people and their loved ones? Especially when some of those dead people and their loved ones were/are fellow Celtic fans!

Think that brilliant post well and truly closes the debate, Andy!

Superbly constructed points and all with balance and reason.

HH

I personally have no problem with anyone wearing a poppy although i never will.

I cant wear a symbol of the killers that killed my ancesters and their people. That would be sick.

Yes my grandfathers fought in ww2. Both came home. Whilst the ones that use the poppy as a burch to whip us with were too yellow bellied to go to war and subsequently their grandchildren have no problem robbing the charity of the soldiers. See the hypocrisy.

For those that wear that symbol purely to commemorate in a dignified way should make them humble to the loss that was great. Not using it to pointscore against people like me who had both grandfathers fighting in the wars.

I have no issue with people wearing their poppy for the right reasons and i won’t ever be beaten into wearing a symbol that caused war on people like me either.

I personally have no problem with anyone wearing a poppy although i never will.

I cant wear a symbol of the killers that killed my ancesters and their people. That would be sick.

Yes my grandfathers fought in ww2. Both came home. Whilst the ones that use the poppy as a burch to whip us with were too yellow bellied to go to war and subsequently their grandchildren have no problem robbing the charity of the soldiers. See the hypocrisy.

For those that wear that symbol purely to commemorate in a dignified way should make them humble to the loss that was great. Not using it to pointscore against people like me who had both grandfathers fighting in the wars.

I have no issue with people wearing their poppy for the right reasons and i won’t ever be beaten into wearing a symbol that caused war on people like me either.

I completely understand that stance Maria as like you and many other Celtic supporters I come from an Irish background and like you I neither wear the poppy or have any time for those who use the poppy as a stick to beat us with because those are the very people who have politicised the poppy and wear it as a Symbol of British nationalism and in doing so have dishonoured the very people they claim to be honouring because they've altered it's meaning.

Jeez I seen a picture today of a guy with a poppy badge pinned to his suit jacket while sporting a huge swastika tattoo on his neck which shows you the mentality of some of these people, a literal poppy fascist!

However those who wear it to honour their dead loved ones and remember their sacrifice should be afforded the decency and respect to do so without judgement or derision and given that some of those who died were Celtic fans and the loved ones of Celtic fans then I don't think it's too much to ask that their fellow Celtic fans allow them that.

HH pal.

I completely understand that stance Maria as like you and many other Celtic supporters I come from an Irish background and like you I neither wear the poppy or have any time for those who use the poppy as a stick to beat us with because those are the very people who have politicised the poppy and wear it as a Symbol of British nationalism and in doing so have dishonoured the very people they claim to be honouring because they've altered it's meaning.

Jeez I seen a picture today of a guy with a poppy badge pinned to his suit jacket while sporting a huge swastika tattoo on his neck which shows you the mentality of some of these people, a literal poppy fascist!

However those who wear it to honour their dead loved ones and remember their sacrifice should be afforded the decency and respect to do so without judgement or derision and given that some of those who died were Celtic fans and the loved ones of Celtic fans then I don't think it's too much to ask that their fellow Celtic fans allow them that.

HH pal.

I would never ruin a minutes silence for the dead ever.

When the eleventh hour comes i say a hail mary to the young people killed in ww2 because my grandad said they were just kids killing kids do or die and he had enough respect to see the germans as people.

I also remember ireland and their 300 + years of religous intolerance and unlawful killing of the Irish.

And all the other people around the world afflicted by war usually down to our govt.

War is wrong but the so called allies have been making a lot of money through death.

I dont know anyone personally that would ruin a silence

But i have never backed down from my own beliefs either and i will not take the poppy soup so that some smug cnut can think i sold myself out for less than my own people or my principles.

HH Andybhoy ☘️

Fantastic post. I too feel incredibly uneasy as it approaches and sometimes I lower the volume. It is about respect. That doesn’t mean I don’t understand why people have a problem, of course I do. I just don’t agree with that at our games. And of course people whose grand parents, great grand parents who actually had to fight feel let down.

A silence is the way and if anyone feels the need to make a point I would just rather they did it in their own time.

Let’s not kid ourselves, the press will do anything to cast our club and that means all of us in a bad light. Look at the coverage of that bastard Toppin. They will be praying they have more stuff to write on Sunday. I just hope that regardless of what any of us think re the Poppy, we see the trap they have set for us and fuck them up.

Why would anybody who loves our club and our people play into the hands of those who hate us?

That is something that both saddens deeply and angers me.

We are all Celtic and our club need us to face off this trap. HH

I would never ruin a minutes silence for the dead ever.

When the eleventh hour comes i say a hail mary to the young people killed in ww2 because my grandad said they were just kids killing kids do or die and he had enough respect to see the germans as people.

I also remember ireland and their 300 + years of religous intolerance and unlawful killing of the Irish.

And all the other people around the world afflicted by war usually down to our govt.

War is wrong but the so called allies have been making a lot of money through death.

I dont know anyone personally that would ruin a silence

But i have never backed down from my own beliefs either and i will not take the poppy soup so that some smug cnut can think i sold myself out for less than my own people or my principles.

HH Andybhoy ☘️

Well said Maria. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Like I said I don't wear a poppy either and I won't be bullied into wearing one by slabbering BritNat fucknuggets who pretend they do it for 'the fallen' but in reality wear it as a badge to promote their British exceptionalism ideology. For those who wear it to honour their dead loved ones I have no issue with whatsoever and think we should allow them to do so in peace.

That doesn't mean we'll ever condone, forgive or forget the horrific actions of the warmongers, the oppressors and their deranged little cheerleaders it just means we show the decency and humanity they're sorely lacking in.

HH Maria

Do British people have a minutes silence for the German and Russian Soldiers who were sent to their death at Stalingrad by their lunatic governments, albeit Russia at time was Allied, but not for long.

All souls day could be a better day where all faiths pray for all people who are dead, not just soldiers.

I hadnt read about WW1 since school. I read a book on it recently. I always thought that Britain lost just as many people as thge germans and the french since we all have similar popualtions.

I was really shocked to realise that UK losses in WW1 although far too many was so small in comparison to the german and french people and the Russians lost that many they had a revolution before the war ended.

Im sure poppy day was meant to be about ww1 only.

All death is awful but the way those men in world war 1 were commnaded to walk into modern machine gun and massive artilery over and over by snobbish idiotic high command like it was more brave to walk into certain death is beyond me. These high command and government officials should have been executed after the war was finsihed for gross missconduct.

But like always the real psychos get bigger bank balances and the poor get dead for their nutty games.

I suspect poppy day is there to distract people from ever noticing who benefits from war and who pays the biggest toll.

I have no problem with people who wear the poppy. I dont see why they should have problem with me if I dont. I pray for all dead in my own way in my own style.

I dont even like the flower assuming thats what the poppy is. It means death to me, death in the name of empire.

people being killed in war all war everywhere is awful. I pray for the repose of all souls in my own way. And the poppy means nothing to me except superficial false remembrance. Pharisee remembrance
That my friend is quite fucking brilliant

I listened to an interview this morning on LBC that left me gobsmacked...they were discussing the Man United player, Matic, and his refusal to wear the poppy. They had, on the phone a former Major who was in the army during the conflict in Kosovo. Matics reason for not wearing the poppy is that when he was 12 years old, NATO bombed his village. For this reason he doesn't want to wear it. Now what the former Major said left me so angry, he said, and I'm paraphrasing here "I understand why he won't wear it, but I don't agree with him. At the time we (NATO) bombed his village we were pushing back the Serbs who were, at the time committing war crimes against the Albanians. I would like to ask Matic does he not agree with what we were doing...if he doesn't I'd like to ask him why he choses to stay in the UK taking tax payers money"....so basically a Major in the British army is telling a 12 year old boy, who knows fuck all about what's going on around him, that the Brits along with NATO carpet bombed his village and he should be grateful for it. It's unbelievable.

Members online

Latest posts

Back