We need to talk about Broony

Lubos left peg

First of let me say I think Scott Brown is already a Celtic legend. I believe I'll be talking about Broony the way my dad talks about Billy McNeil, in 20 years, as a Celtic Captain great...but what does Brendan do when Brown is fully fit? Who does he drop? Since Brown has been out the team Celtic have been an unstoppable attacking force. When Brown is in the team the whole team plays in our own half. Everything goes through him and the fact that he is usually situated between the 2 CBs means it's hard for us to move up the field. In McGregor and Christie, we have 2 players who are willing to track back but are also capable of making that forward pass or bursting run into the opposition half, something I feel Brown doesn't offer us. So my question to my fellow Celtic fans is, what do you think Brendan should do? Stick with a team and formation that no one can touch at the moment and leave Brown on the bench....or bring in Broony and possibly bring back the side to side passing display we had to endure at the start of the season??

First of let me say I think Scott Brown is already a Celtic legend. I believe I'll be talking about Broony the way my dad talks about Billy McNeil, in 20 years, as a Celtic Captain great...but what does Brendan do when Brown is fully fit? Who does he drop? Since Brown has been out the team Celtic have been an unstoppable attacking force. When Brown is in the team the whole team plays in our own half. Everything goes through him and the fact that he is usually situated between the 2 CBs means it's hard for us to move up the field. In McGregor and Christie, we have 2 players who are willing to track back but are also capable of making that forward pass or bursting run into the opposition half, something I feel Brown doesn't offer us. So my question to my fellow Celtic fans is, what do you think Brendan should do? Stick with a team and formation that no one can touch at the moment and leave Brown on the bench....or bring in Broony and possibly bring back the side to side passing display we had to endure at the start of the season??
Think we're much better without him said that on here last week.McGregor and Christie are far superior footballers.

Well,I was gonna post something along these lines but.........I was scared Maria might come looking for me...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Inevitably we will have to do without him and this last few weeks has shown us that the team have been firing on all cylinders without him at the helm. There will be times that he's useful to have on the bench as all the players look up to him and he has the guile and experience that the youngsters don't have. He may not be the first name on the team sheet anymore but he'll still be part of the team and I'm sure he'd love to still be involved for 10iar. \o/

Believe me part of a footballers career is accepting ending it . Ever since the days of the Lions fantastic legends have had to face this and deal with it . I am old enough to remember big Jock having to move my absolute heroes out the door but he did it and was ruthless when doing it . He had to be for the sake of the Celtic club but also for my heroes sake too nothing worse than watching a legendary athlete trying to do what they used to be able to do ,but due to the inevitable effect of age can't, horrible for him and can be disastrous for the team .
In my opinion it's time for Broony to now accept limited game time at paradise then retire soon or go take a big pay deal at a lesser level in US,OZ or China and come back to us in some coaching role later .

IMO Broony is up there with Big Billy. ....I don't want to watch him struggle to a slow departure

Whoa , bhoys !! Let's not get carried away just yet .

Yes , and it's a big YES , we have been outstanding in the last month with the 'youngsters ' running the middle of the park , but... What happens when we hit a dip in form , and nobody on here will deny that even the best of teams hit a slump now and again . Will we be shouting for Broony to be recalled to stiffen up the team ?
Injuries ! We have had more than our share this season - what happens if Calmac or Christie get's crocked ( remember there are a lot of hammer throwers in this league ) - then broony needs to step in .

It's a long season - I would like to see a sensible rotation in the midfield ( especially in December with all those games ) to avoid burn-out or exhaustion being a factor as we reach the climax of the season .

There is still an important part to play for Scott Brown in this most important season .

Whoa , bhoys !! Let's not get carried away just yet .

Yes , and it's a big YES , we have been outstanding in the last month with the 'youngsters ' running the middle of the park , but... What happens when we hit a dip in form , and nobody on here will deny that even the best of teams hit a slump now and again . Will we be shouting for Broony to be recalled to stiffen up the team ?
Injuries ! We have had more than our share this season - what happens if Calmac or Christie get's crocked ( remember there are a lot of hammer throwers in this league ) - then broony needs to step in .

It's a long season - I would like to see a sensible rotation in the midfield ( especially in December with all those games ) to avoid burn-out or exhaustion being a factor as we reach the climax of the season .

There is still an important part to play for Scott Brown in this most important season .
Agree 100%! Broony still has an important part of this team. Hope his injury clears up soon. We might be playing well right now but there will be games where we'll need his guile n aggression and his leadership not just on the park but in and around the dressing room too. Never thought he would be after his first 3years, but.... BROONY, LEGEND ?

It should be horses for courses. There will be games where Scott Brown will be indispensable eg iPod and others where he will deserve a well earned rest. BR can be trusted to get it right and manage this situation best for the team and Broonys career.
Ditto.......the currants are terrified of him and his baws also need to go and attack naishame's boots at swinecastle again.

A wee coaching number with the young lads may be an option too

Celtic better without Broony??? Didn't think it was possible, but, results speak for themselves. Calmac 's pace and range of passing is a joy to behold. It's Calmac for me bhoys and ghirls. It does not detract from the legend that is Broony. Everybody's time must come to an end.
HH

When a player is first starting in his career he usually has to make do with substitute appearances until the Manager thinks he's fit and able enough to do a full 90 mins. The same applies towards the end, as your peak days are behind you you still have something to contribute, its just you can't do it for a full 90 mins. I think this will be the pattern we are about to see.

Believe me part of a footballers career is accepting ending it . Ever since the days of the Lions fantastic legends have had to face this and deal with it . I am old enough to remember big Jock having to move my absolute heroes out the door but he did it and was ruthless when doing it . He had to be for the sake of the Celtic club but also for my heroes sake too nothing worse than watching a legendary athlete trying to do what they used to be able to do ,but due to the inevitable effect of age can't, horrible for him and can be disastrous for the team .
In my opinion it's time for Broony to now accept limited game time at paradise then retire soon or go take a big pay deal at a lesser level in US,OZ or China and come back to us in some coaching role later .

IMO Broony is up there with Big Billy. ....I don't want to watch him struggle to a slow departure
Brown up there with big Billy?Surely not?Captain of the 9 in a row team ,2 European Cup finals not to mention the domestic cups he won .Browns been a good captain don't get me wrong but up there with Billy?No chance

Broony still has plenty in the tank. He's injured, he hasn't suddenly aged a few years over the last couple of weeks! I think he may well find it more difficult fighting for a place in a midfield that's currently purring but I wouldn't count him out or question any decisions to put him straight back in.

Is he a Celtic Legend? Abso-fuckin-lutely 100%!

Is he up there with Cesar? In terms of trophies won? No. However he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath, as one of Celtic's Greatest Ever club Captains alongside Billy.

Brown up there with big Billy?Surely not?Captain of the 9 in a row team ,2 European Cup finals not to mention the domestic cups he won .Browns been a good captain don't get me wrong but up there with Billy?No chance
Unfortunately I'm not old enough to have witnessed Billy...I'm not for 1 second saying that both men are equal in their legendary status...of course no one will ever get near McNeil...but i have been lucky enough to witness Brown. And I shall, in 20 years time, talk about Scott brown to my girls in the same way my dad talks about Billy to me. Both legends. In different ways. ??

This time last year I thought we were heading for a post-Broony crisis. He was titanic for us and when he was absent through injury or suspension our team looked like lost Bhoys. I thought he was the first irreplaceable player we had since Henke (some might argue we still played well in some games without our #7; that did not seem to be the case at all without our #8).

Let us rejoice that so many young, mainly Scottish talents have stepped up, ready to harness the spirit of our captain even when he cannot play.

This thread would not have happened if Kampl hadn't hit the bar with minutes to go last night.

Instead, there would be threads bemoaning Broon's absence and willing him back speedily.

We got away with it in the last ten as Mulumbu stumbled around like a jakey in search of a unicorn.

Never more was Broon's absence felt within the team than those long minutes.

Three games without him does not make a cunning plan. To drop someone - fully fit - of his character and influence and dig and sheer mental strength is insane.

His time will come but right now he should be first on the team sheet when 100%

Question is, should we lie Calmac deeper beside Broon and let him play like a protected quarterback, more space and time to pick his passes?

This thread would not have happened if Kampl hadn't hit the bar with minutes to go last night.

Instead, there would be threads bemoaning Broon's absence and willing him back speedily.

We got away with it in the last ten as Mulumbu stumbled around like a jakey in search of a unicorn.

Never more was Broon's absence felt within the team than those long minutes.

Three games without him does not make a cunning plan. To drop someone - fully fit - of his character and influence and dig and sheer mental strength is insane.

His time will come but right now he should be first on the team sheet when 100%

Question is, should we lie Calmac deeper beside Broon and let him play like a protected quarterback, more space and time to pick his passes?

My main question would be, who would you drop at the moment for Brown? The last 3 games we have been fantastic going forward. No one in midfield has gone missing. Brown is our captain. His passion pulls us through some hard games. But would it be fair to drop someone who is playing so well just to facilitate him?

Members online

Latest posts

Back