'What a Job He's Done', Praise for Celtic Goalkeeping Coach

For a long time I always felt that goalkeeper was a bit of a weakness for us. All those years of watching deidco having fantastic goalies who regularly made match winning saves to secure "undeserved" (copyright of this week's Scottish media) points, and not just against us, was hard viewing.

Much as I loved Latchford, Bonner, Douglas, etc, they were good but just not quite the very best and it seemed that this position was an after-thought, lower priority or even just an necessary evil pain in the arse to our managers.

Since Stevie Woods joined we have had a series of excellent goalies playing at the peak of their abilities who often win matches and trophies for us. It is noticeable too that when goalies leave us their form will start to tail off after a while as his influence disappears. I'm happy but surprised that one of the big English teams hasn't poached him as he clearly makes a big difference in the performances of most players he coaches which translates into big bucks and trophies.

It would be interesting to hear Spherical Planet's take on this as he has such an extensive knowledge of playing this position to a high level.

Great article. It's a remarkable talent for a coach to bring the level of good players to a higher standard, and it seems that Stevie Woods has that talent. Defintely a keeper, literally and figuratively:D
You are dead right Larry.Before matches right in front of my seat he puts the goalkeepers through a hard workout. I wish he could take our corners during a game.He is phenomena,what a crosser of a ball.Maybe he should coach the rest of the team.HH.☘️☘️☘️

Back