What holds our scottish players back??

Lubos left peg

I've wondered this for a while. Why dont our Scottish players get the recognition of their foreign team mates.
Dembele was being spoke about in high regard all over europe. The same is happening with Eddy. It surely cant be all down to playing for the national U21 team can it?
If Christie or forrest were Spanish or French I'm sure they would be the talk of european football, especially Christie. So why arent they? There are still people down south who doubt KT, why? Would he still have as many question marks over him if he wasnt Scottish?

Joking aside, real reason is our standing and exposure in the world game...the only Celtic player ( I include the foreign lads too)that the lads in the village where I live have heard of is Scott Brown purely because of the iconic way he is portrayed on the highlights reels...remember the way he strutted around at Aberdeen after getting halved in two?? That was big news over here .... generally in other European countries, very very few have any interest in our game, even on European nights ....sadly

When the Lions won big ears they played Real Madrid in a Testimonial (we don’t do Testimonials) by the end of the game the whole of the crowd were awestruck with a wee ginger in the Hoops. And the way we played that night the Spanish press raved about these 11 jocks as did the whole of Europe.
the Italian press were hard on the Nazis but were mostly impressed by the Celtic play both home and away.
it’s all down to perception if you have Billions of Euros your better than the peasants
Hers a better Question when did you last see a good game in Engerlands leagues
A game of Passion fight and a wee bit o dig
Answer never most game I’ve watched are a fucking bore fest.
same in the much vaunted Champions League
Almost all the games are shite
You don’t get entertained in all these top leagues. You get bored 😐 shitless.
I do watch a lot of the Bundesleague these game are a good watch even down to the Second division thanks to our American correspondent Larry C, I watch as many St Pauli games asi can love the fans in all the German games.

love games with passionate fans. Rennes now up there love the German team that you can’t spell.
Would rather watch Paint dry than the World class thuper Thunday oan Sky.
and finally mon the Hoops.

HH 🍀🇫🇷

When the Lions won big ears they played Real Madrid in a Testimonial (we don’t do Testimonials) by the end of the game the whole of the crowd were awestruck with a wee ginger in the Hoops. And the way we played that night the Spanish press raved about these 11 jocks as did the whole of Europe.
the Italian press were hard on the Nazis but were mostly impressed by the Celtic play both home and away.
it’s all down to perception if you have Billions of Euros your better than the peasants
I do watch a lot of the Bundesleague these game are a good watch even down to the Second division thanks to our American correspondent Larry C, I watch as many St Pauli games asi can love the fans in all the German games.

love games with passionate fans. Rennes now up there love the German team that you can’t spell.

HH 🍀🇫🇷

My chelsea supporting mate has falling out of love with the english game and I'm sure there will be alot like him. He says there is no passion from the players. They dont fight for the jersey or their team. They are more worried about their image, or picking up an injury, than what they do for their club. He believes the main focus for players in england is their next big money move. Nothing else matters.

HH 🍀🇫🇷
I remember Don Reavie saying every team needs a Scotsman or two but if they have 3 or more they have fights and injuries at training.
He should know he had several in his successful Leeds team.

HH 🍀🇫🇷
:unsure: a boax is wasted on you

I've wondered this for a while. Why dont our Scottish players get the recognition of their foreign team mates.
Dembele was being spoke about in high regard all over europe. The same is happening with Eddy. It surely cant be all down to playing for the national U21 team can it?
If Christie or forrest were Spanish or French I'm sure they would be the talk of european football, especially Christie. So why arent they? There are still people down south who doubt KT, why? Would he still have as many question marks over him if he wasnt Scottish?
Because we live in a country that embraces failure ran by fkwits who haven't a clue about football , mosty countrys promote their up and coming stars and the media laud them at every turn
Our media are waiting on Ryan jack getting into the scotland squad then he willl be the next best thing after the cabbage patch runt

The whole of europe promote their up and coming players at every chance even the epl ,yet were still stuck with the brigadoon mob

The Lisbon lions situation says it all if you look at how many caps they got for their country and how long it took them to even get inducted into the sfas joke of a hall of fame you'll see why this rancid country is still stuck in the dark ages

It's called football snobbery bigman. It's the same reason as why all these pricks who follow the premier scam in England. Living in Ireland it's hard to listen to. All you hear is the pool this Utd that and city the other. When asked "what team do you follow" and you reply Celtic, you are greeted with the customary derogatory snigger and an "oh right". These people have no clue as to why they support these teams and no clue to their history. Half my sons class supports Celtic because he has them all clued up on the history of the club. Needless to say he's a Celtic fanatic(he had no other option) and can't understand why some of his friends support English teams that they nothing about.
When you mention a Celtic player playing well, you get the usual shite that he wouldn't count in England. Fuck the lot a them i say. We don't want the fuckers takin Christie and Forrest and the likes.

Because we live in a country that embraces failure ran by fkwits who haven't a clue about football , mosty countrys promote their up and coming stars and the media laud them at every turn
Our media are waiting on Ryan jack getting into the scotland squad then he willl be the next best thing after the cabbage patch runt

The whole of europe promote their up and coming players at every chance even the epl ,yet were still stuck with the brigadoon mob

The Lisbon lions situation says it all if you look at how many caps they got for their country and how long it took them to even get inducted into the sfas joke of a hall of fame you'll see why this rancid country is still stuck in the dark ages

Just seen the records top 50 spfl players....for some reason the "experts" feel that a packet of Haribo is a better player than oliver Ntcham 🤔🤔🤔 such and odd little bunch is the scottish football "experts" 😂😂😂😂

The EPL with ther sky sports billions have in my opinion totally distorted world football £20million now gets u an average player or if the player is English it costs u £75million(Harry Maguire) They look down ther noses at players up here they only get recognition when they go to ther beloved league

At the moment I an delighted they are being held back and are under appreciated by the stupid money people in England. I want them to stay at Parkhead rather than feck off down to the Championship or lower EPL teams. They are proving themselves worthy against decent European opposition.

I just wish Scotland could do better but Celtic players play too many games each season so I guess we'll have to suffer English Championship level players who had a Scottish Granny instead.

Just to add a further question, to all you old timers, has it always been so?? Has there been Scottish players at celtic who you seen play and thought "how is this guy not the talk of european football?"
The obvious response from the old fart brigade is Paul McStay. A Rolls-Royce of player who could have gone to any team he fancied. I remain, however, exceedingly glad he never or my adolescence would have been un fucking bearable!

The obvious response from the old fart brigade is Paul McStay. A Rolls-Royce of player who could have gone to any team he fancied. I remain, however, exceedingly glad he never or my adolescence would have been un fucking bearable!
Young Mcstay was Like Lubo could pick a pass ,lift the game by the scruff of the neck and change it ,he was defo a Rolls Royce and at the later was in a skoda showroom , he could have walked in to any team in europe but gave it all to Celtic

Back