What is the measure of a BIG Club?

Brimcbhoy

So on the AGM thread a discussion between Imatim and Winter led to this post below, I thought it was worthy of its own thread.
Imatim said:
When a European shake up finally happens and if we are a part of it.....then in my view we are going to be attractive to a takeover.....our custodians may just be treading water until that day comes...
This is something I wholeheartedly agree with you on imatim. DD sold his shares in man utd and if you have shares in man utd you are earning good returns regardless of performance levels of the team. DD has always said that he is all for both Glasgow clubs playing in the EPL and the top clubs there are for it also as it will increase their revenue from matchday attendances to tv deals etc. I believe it is unlikely to happen though unless sky threaten to pull the money plug if they dont allow us in. Clubs like Norwich, the Sheffield clubs, Bristol clubs , Birmingham clubs , what's in it for them? They see it as a huge disadvantage for their own progression. These clubs , clubs like villa will never agree to let 2 huge clubs join the EPL and will also fight tooth and nail against our entry at any level as they know that even if we started in league 2 or the conference we will be EPL clubs in no time. Imagine if say Watford or Birmingham were to apply to play in Scotland, how would that go down with Aberdeen hearts and hibs? Not well I'd say as it would be yet another obstacle in their path. A british cup is more likely to happen than a behemoth club like Celtic and a new club with good supporter backing joining in the free for all money scramble down south.

What IS the measure of a BIG club?
Is it,
Population?
Fanbase?
Wealth?
Trophy's won?
History?

Feel free to add.

So on the AGM thread a discussion between Imatim and Winter led to this post below, I thought it was worthy of its own thread.

This is something I wholeheartedly agree with you on imatim. DD sold his shares in man utd and if you have shares in man utd you are earning good returns regardless of performance levels of the team. DD has always said that he is all for both Glasgow clubs playing in the EPL and the top clubs there are for it also as it will increase their revenue from matchday attendances to tv deals etc. I believe it is unlikely to happen though unless sky threaten to pull the money plug if they dont allow us in. Clubs like Norwich, the Sheffield clubs, Bristol clubs , Birmingham clubs , what's in it for them? They see it as a huge disadvantage for their own progression. These clubs , clubs like villa will never agree to let 2 huge clubs join the EPL and will also fight tooth and nail against our entry at any level as they know that even if we started in league 2 or the conference we will be EPL clubs in no time. Imagine if say Watford or Birmingham were to apply to play in Scotland, how would that go down with Aberdeen hearts and hibs? Not well I'd say as it would be yet another obstacle in their path. A british cup is more likely to happen than a behemoth club like Celtic and a new club with good supporter backing joining in the free for all money scramble down south.

What IS the measure of a BIG club?
Is it,
Population?
Fanbase?
Wealth?
Trophy's won?
History?

Feel free to add.
its who sky decide are worth 100s of millions each season

I would say fanbase more than anything, you can't buy a fanbase.
I don't class Man City as a "big club" wealthy yes, successful yes but only recently and only since investors pumped hundreds of millions into them. 20 years ago nobody gave a shit about them and I can't imagine they had much of an international fanbase.

For me its a combination of a few of those factors. I'm all for the underdog coming through and while I can agree with TET about Sky's influence. Iv'e seen plenty of English clubs fall by the wayside even with Skys money.
Portsmouth anybody? To name one. Badly run clubs will still go bust even with mega bucks for winning feck all. Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, are just a few others.
Newcastle, even though they are in a one team city, have been up and down the divisions, same with Sunderland.
In our league some teams go up and down regularly, some even have to start anew from the bottom, ;) .
We are in the fortunate position of Always being in the top division.
We have won many trophy's, We have fan clubs in most countries in the World. We are financially secure,(no thanks to our largest shareholder)
We can truly claim to be a BIG Club.

For me its a combination of a few of those factors. I'm all for the underdog coming through and while I can agree with TET about Sky's influence. Iv'e seen plenty of English clubs fall by the wayside even with Skys money.
Portsmouth anybody? To name one. Badly run clubs will still go bust even with mega bucks for winning feck all. Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, are just a few others.
Newcastle, even though they are in a one team city, have been up and down the divisions, same with Sunderland.
In our league some teams go up and down regularly, some even have to start anew from the bottom, ;) .
We are in the fortunate position of Always being in the top division.
We have won many trophy's, We have fan clubs in most countries in the World. We are financially secure,(no thanks to our largest shareholder)
We can truly claim to be a BIG Club.
i dont think many clubs in world would say otherwise.

Massive club in comparison to most clubs

But the league we are playing in has no real interest outside Scotland

So despite having large fanbase and traditionally being massive club in respect of fanbase (mostly from poor people, imo as well as attracting marginalised peoples (again usually poor))

We cant capitalise on that fanbase because they are marginalised and poor and usually without capital.

And in a sport now dominated by the zionist regimes, we are not treated as a big club

Whereas many small clubs in big leagues supported by the opprseive zionist philosophy are out pricing our traditional big club

Big club means nothing if you cant afford big name players

Small club means nothing if your part of the chosen recipients of the worldwide love of football

For me the term big club relates to the expectations been met by the demands of the fan base.
Are a big club acting as a big club when they can deliver fuck all on a regular basis?
We are a huge club in our own right, yet wouldn't be so much so within the European football market, where we are more of an iconic club.
We need to start preforming well with far more consistency within Europe to regain our claim of being a very big club within Europe, and improve upon the biggest by far within Scotland

These figures are unreal compared to what we pick up. BUT, when you see what wages they are paying out it's eye watering. Would we really want to join this merry go round? I'd rather join a European set up tbh, not the European Super league Idea proposed by Real and Barca, amoungst others.But something like the north Atlantic idea of a few years ago.

These figures are unreal compared to what we pick up. BUT, when you see what wages they are paying out it's eye watering. Would we really want to join this merry go round? I'd rather join a European set up tbh, not the European Super league Idea proposed by Real and Barca, amoungst others.But something like the north Atlantic idea of a few years ago.
All leagues should be under eufa banner

eufa should be receiving all tv money and distributing it based on fans on seats

so if your club have no fans on seats they get little back from tv money

that way it cant be cherry picked by the sky tv people

And it would in theory enncourage all teams fans to get out and watch their team

it would return a sporting element to the game and would encourage players to sign for teams they love rather than be mercenaries chasing the dollars

pro rata return baed on average attendance at live games with a standardised ticket rice across all eufa matches

so if it 30 quid here its 30 quid equival;ent across the whole of eufa

if thats too much then it gets reduced across board till the price of real ticket is same as east fife

and if that means you need to invest in bigger stadiums then so be it

that way you find out who are big clubs and who are not

it would also reduce the scamming imo

it would encourage players to stay where the love football most and you would have a thriving game imo

it will never happen coz its a scam game these days more so than any other time in history

Sky created a product that attracts a huge worldwide audience, so hence they can pay way over the odds on what many of them players are actually worth.
For over half the teams in the EPL, success is solely all about remaining within it, with at best a couple of bragging days to gloryify if they get a result against teams competing for CL football.
Fairly similar to Scotland but on a much lower scale.

All leagues should be under eufa banner

eufa should be receiving all tv money and distributing it based on fans on seats

so if your club have no fans on seats they get little back from tv money

that way it cant be cherry picked by the sky tv people

And it would in theory enncourage all teams fans to get out and watch their team

it would return a sporting element to the game and would encourage players to sign for teams they love rather than be mercenaries chasing the dollars

pro rata return baed on average attendance at live games with a standardised ticket rice across all eufa matches

so if it 30 quid here its 30 quid equival;ent across the whole of eufa

if thats too much then it gets reduced across board till the price of real ticket is same as east fife

and if that means you need to invest in bigger stadiums then so be it

that way you find out who are big clubs and who are not

it would also reduce the scamming imo

it would encourage players to stay where the love football most and you would have a thriving game imo

it will never happen coz its a scam game these days more so than any other time in history
Sorry, but I think UEFA are still corrupt as well as FIFA. Also rather that SKY, or any other media moguls company, clubs should be able to market and sell their own matches. The Technology is already there as was shown during the Covid shutdown.

Sky created a product that attracts a huge worldwide audience, so hence they can pay way over the odds on what many of them players are actually worth.
For over half the teams in the EPL, success is solely all about remaining within it, with at best a couple of bragging days to gloryify if they get a result against teams competing for CL football.
Fairly similar to Scotland but on a much lower scale.
im sure the english game has the largest on seat turnouts even before sky arrived

id argue that if sky had chosen dutch league over every other then their teams would be filled by best players and hence would fulfill the prophecy of being the right league to give the mega bucks

whoever gets the megabucks from sky will have best players and fulfilled prophecy that it justifies the big bungs

but the bungs are dissproportionate to the level of interest without the bungs

if sky gave all scottish premier teams 100 million for coming last then even our worst premier team would be able to attract the big name players

but its designed to create divide and rule in their chosen hamlets

which forces all teams outsuide their bung leagues to become managed decline leagues even with sheik at helm therefore sheiks will always buy a club who get the bungs

Sorry, but I think UEFA are still corrupt as well as FIFA. Also rather that SKY, or any other media moguls company, clubs should be able to market and sell their own matches. The Technology is already there as was shown during the Covid shutdown.
i agree

they are corrupt

but money should be distributed across all teams based on european ranking system

sky should not be allowed to monopolise their chosen leagues in sport

Sky took over and created the EPL when at the time the Italians, then the Spanish tried to hog the market with paying over inflated wages.
Now its the turn of the EPL,
Yet the real quality of players are still being developed outside of the country but that is improving.
Yet within Scotland, trying to produce these younger players is hampered so badly with no development league in place whatsoever.
So trying to find hidden gems becomes even harder and reduces the quality that is on offer within a league, giving a product that isn't to great as a watch in general.
We out grew Scottish football years ago and yet still do nothing to address the problem and it will never be addressed all the while you have diddy clubs that attract one man and his dog having such a say within a game that they contribute fuck all to.

Whilst in Scotland Celtic and the zombie reincarnation fellows fae Ipox have a massive pull world wide for TV viewers hence sky demanding its 4 games a season, outwith that from our clubs point of view games against the teams fae trainspotting City and Broonies Red and White army are the main games that people with only a passing interest in Scottish football would look at, similar with newco, the rest of the leagues teams dont really have a fan base to justify a massive increase from sky as its hard to sell advertising for these specific games on a stand alone basis. We all know that Celtic have a worldwide diaspora of fans that will get up at anytime to watch us, which is why Celtic try to sell overseas packages for our home games, what they have to do imho is go to a pay per view for every home game here and abroad with a pricing structure to match and leave sky etc behind.

We are a massive massive club worldwide but earn a pittance from TV, that's wrong imo, so for me a big club is one with a worldwide pull, but are also self sufficient.

Would I get up at 3am to watch Man City v Southampton, wid l fek, 2 teams with a fan base that wouldn't fill Celtic Park, but they are part of a league that has a massive viewer base and thats why they get the boona bucks. Celtic need to re-package the brand they sell as we will forever more be stuck in the decreasing market that is Scottish football and as such will not be seen from the outside as a big club.

Martin Edwards Man Utd CEO once said when asked who the biggest club in the world was the interviewer jumped and said Man Utd - Real Madrid Edwards jumped and told if Celtic got there act together they would be.
Mainly because of there World wide fan base.
We are Definitely a Huge club sadly run by small minds who’re desperate to keep the status quo

HH 😂

What makes a big club for me is the fan Base followed by the history of the club.with celtic as has been pointed out by a few people is its world wide apeal America Australia people setting thier alarm clocks to watch the hoops in thier houses or pubs or clubs that to me is a big club.I'd like to see celtic running thier own tv deals after the sky deal ends with the right marketing people and advertising from around the world japan America Australia I think we'd pull in a lot more money than we are getting from sky.plus after the translate gate afair were the celtic fans were all branded as racist sky went down the toilet. As for sevco they have a big fan Base in scotland and parts of the six counties but that's it so they are not in my eyes a big club.thier are big clubs in England with the world wide apeal man utd liverpool arsenal probably chelsea. Were thiers big money thiers big back handers the corruption is always going to be thier (quotar) money rules the fans don't but after hearing what went on at our AGM thier is hope very pleased with spirt in the room especially bankier and Wilson who were left without any doubt about how we all feel about rats running our big club.

IMO no matter whether it is sport or business money is the one
thing which speaks every language and is understood by everybody,
we only need to look at the players we lost to the EPL this season
nobody will ever convince me different they left Celtic for anything but money
Brentford,Bournemouth and C.Palace,none of them exactly Blue chip clubs but probably pay 4 or 5 times more than they were paid at Celtic..
I believe if it was beneficial to sky to have us in the EPL we would already be there,are the English afraid of our affiliation with Ireland or are they afraid of the destruction sevco leave behind no matter where they go..

HH

IMO no matter whether it is sport or business money is the one
thing which speaks every language and is understood by everybody,
we only need to look at the players we lost to the EPL this season
nobody will ever convince me different they left Celtic for anything but money
Brentford,Bournemouth and C.Palace,none of them exactly Blue chip clubs but probably pay 4 or 5 times more than they were paid at Celtic..
I believe if it was beneficial to sky to have us in the EPL we would already be there,are the English afraid of our affiliation with Ireland or are they afraid of the destruction sevco leave behind no matter where they go..

HH
Can't argue GS that money has and is destroying the sport as such, where greed I would say is huge within our board room that holds us back hugely to getting back to the big time of European football with such a lack of ambition.
To give a current example that concerns me potentially is the situation regarding Jota.
For 7M the player is a steal at that amount, yet our top earners seems to be on the 20k a week mark.
Now is it fair to say Jota is worth 30M and could get a wage of 50k a week and still be worth that money within the bigger leagues?
I would say he would be, yet for 2.6M a year to deliver CL football each season, would be worth every penny to us imo.
Would this board do so?
Not a chance of it, yet all of the bastards possibly take more than that themselves out of the club.
Now I hope I'm totally wrong upon my opinion and would say Dom McKay could have been along the same way of thinking and we know what they done to him.
At current Celtic are ran as a big club with a small mentality of reaching its full and proper position in world football imo.
So will this board truly back Ange?
Will wait to see, but recent history would hardly fill you with confidence

Back