What is the measure of a BIG Club?

A genuinely "Big Club" transcends the game it participates in. It is no longer just a past-time to whittle away the weekend hours - it is something that becomes woven into the fabric of the lives of all those who are captured within that club's folds.

That "Big Club" becomes second only to family in the priority list of it's supporters and in many cases - it supercedes family.

Celtic is such a club. It represents something far more than just a sporting institution. Some of that is directly linked to historical, cultural and religious backdrops, but much more is based upon a set of ideals, beliefs and that intangible thing that not one of us can properly describe.

I think the closest comparison for that intangible thing is the soul. It doesn't have shape, form or substance, but there is some ethereal feeling present that makes us believe that it is there somewhere.

Some folk are drawn in by the lure of glory and success, but for truly "Big Clubs" there is another kind of attraction that success and glory can't legislate for.

There are trends in all walks of life. Football is no different. Clubs who have achieved success due to their spending power may have attracted worldwide attention, but at least 30-40% of their fans are of the 'new' variety and it is often not long before a newer shinier thing comes along to capture their limited attention span. Even gargantuan Clubs still carry up to 25% worth of occasional fans who are just along for the ride and glory by association.

Celtic are no different in having our percentage of periodic fans, but due to the country and the league we play in, it perhaps only accounts for 5-10% of our overall support. What gives Celtic a genuine claim on "Big Club" status - is that 90-95% of our core support will still be Celtic fans in the very worst of times. The stadium might not be full and the anger may be evident, but that allegiance to Celtic will always remain.

There are richer clubs than Celtic in financial terms. There are bigger clubs than Celtic in terms of fan numbers. There are more Successful clubs than Celtic in terms of major silverware (ie European trophies). However - not many of these clubs can get into the blood of their supporters the way that Celtic can.

The Barcelona adage of being 'more than a club' is suited to their political and philosophical ideology, but never has that phrase been applied to any club (including Barca) more appropriately than the way it can be applied to Celtic.

Why do clubs have to have a 'Big Club' label? It brings nothing more to a club like Celtic.
Does the label bring out the glory hunters? I don't think so.
Does the label mean we are worth more money? Definitely not.
Does the label mean we have a large fan base? We certainly do.
Does the label mean we have history? Absolutely.

The only label I like is the one that states we are a club open to all. 🍀

Why do clubs have to have a 'Big Club' label? It brings nothing more to a club like Celtic.
Does the label bring out the glory hunters? I don't think so.
Does the label mean we are worth more money? Definitely not.
Does the label mean we have a large fan base? We certainly do.
Does the label mean we have history? Absolutely.

The only label I like is the one that states we are a club open to all. 🍀
Think it's a 'man' thing, Shammy.

Bit like shoe size and how some fellas drive big fuck-off motors that serve no practical purpose, but that might be seen as some extension of their pe........rsonality

Think it's a 'man' thing, Shammy.

Bit like shoe size and how some fellas drive big fuck-off motors that serve no practical purpose but that might be seen as an extension of their pe........rsonality
Fuck don't mention shoe size or Bridie will flop his feet on the table and make us all feel inadequate!

Rumour has it that if you measured Shammy with Bridies feet she's only 3 foot 2! True story....

Sorry got bored being sensible, did it for about 2 hours, it's over rated.

Fuck don't mention shoe size or Bridie will flop his feet on the table and make us all feel inadequate!

Rumour has it that if you measured Shammy with Bridies feet she's only 3 foot 2! True story....

Sorry got bored being sensible, did it for about 2 hours, it's over rated.
Hoopy, I've met Shammy.........she is only 3'2 (wie her sannies on). I felt like Shaquille O'Neal stood next to her. Big TET looked like Ben Nevis compared to her.

Sorry Shammy, to be fair I'm only 4 foot 7 in Bridie feet! 🤷‍♂️
Hoopy, it was a strange sensation when I first met Shammy because, I thought she was very far, far away.

I shouted over: "SHAMMY.........IT'S ME, I'M OVER HERE". I was waving my hands and jumping up and down when this voice piped up: "whit yi shoutin fir, I'm staunin right next tae yi, yi big eejit yi"

It was especially embarrassing when an ald fella came up to me and handed me a pound coin sayin: "get a sweetie fir the wee lass, pal"

What is the measure of a BIG Club?​

East Fife is the only Scottish Club to win the Scottish Cup, being a team outwith the Premier League...at that time Division One.....That maks them a Big Club in Methil..... ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Back