Whats going on with refereeing in Scotland?

We had a good case in years gone by for bias but now the balance between celtic and rangers supporters in the refs is more even. I think we are finding that as the decisions are bad for everyone, suddenly everyone else cares. If it was us and the rest with no comment from them I am willing to bet media coverage would still be subdued with the old paranoid quips. I will say as well the decisions in games we don't play in have been very poor but I remember these kinds of performances 20 year ago, just again nothing went wrong for them so they didn't shout out.

We had a good case in years gone by for bias but now the balance between celtic and rangers supporters in the refs is more even. I think we are finding that as the decisions are bad for everyone, suddenly everyone else cares. If it was us and the rest with no comment from them I am willing to bet media coverage would still be subdued with the old paranoid quips. I will say as well the decisions in games we don't play in have been very poor but I remember these kinds of performances 20 year ago, just again nothing went wrong for them so they didn't shout out.
The decisions certainly seem to be a lot less bad for sevco than they are for other teams... offside sevco goal against Hearts... Aberdeen player sent off for having his boot kicked, Dundee player given a straight red for a booking offence, Ryan Jack not booked a second time against Dundee. I am struggling to see that the balance is anything other than a see-saw with Kris Boyd on one side and Griff on the other.

What I'd like to know is what IS going on with Refereeing in Scotland? Ok I know we all have a moan every year about them, but its not just US! The huns, the sheep last night were flummoxed by decisions last night, Steve Clark, Gerrard have been/are in the dock for publicly criticising them this season. There hardly seems to be a game goes by where they dont make a major fuck up? Is this the worst collection of referees EVER in the Scottish game? If so, who trains them?

To put it simply it's a perfect storm of bias and incompetence, a mixture of Ibrox fanboys and incompetent clownheads promoted beyond their abilities. Sometimes it's difficult to work out which is which and sometimes it isn't.

HH Brimcbhoy.

These terrible referees are not new at all, remember some blatant animals ruining great games, there has always been racial discrimination since we, and Hibs, were formed and started to become successful. Willie Maley's fantastic book, The Story of The Celtic mentions quite a few. Big Jock was serious when he sent the team out to make sure the 'ref' could have as little a say as possible about the final score.

The Lanarkshire Referees Association is an abomination to any sort of professionalism and training n rearing proper referees is way down the order of what it effectively is, an old lodge which doesn't need a number.

I'm afraid until we completely dismantle n re-organize the whole of the sfa and the rest we will always have this imbalance of 'honest' brethren trying to lord it over the game

Guess how much it costs to become a referee in Scotland? £35 quid. Or £15 quid if you're on the dole.

Introductory Referee Course
The Introductory Referee Course is delivered on behalf of the Scottish FA by the 12 Referees’ Associations throughout the country.

Course fee

£35 (includes the first season’s membership fee)
£15 for concessions (students and unemployed persons)

The course length is generally between eight and 10 weeks for two hours per night. The courses are held twice a year in the January to March and September to December periods. Other courses may be held outside this schedule depending on local circumstances and demand.

There are two parts to the Introductory Course. The first is classroom-based learning on the Laws of the Game with an exam in the final week. The exam is conducted on computers at the course venue and involves multiple choice questions, report writing and assessing match incidents on video.

The second part involves officiating a match under the guidance of a more experienced referee. Once part two is completed, candidates are able to join the local Referees’ Association and become a Scottish FA registered referee.

Support is given to new referees by their Referees’ Association and a mentor will be arranged to provide guidance in the early stages of their refereeing careers. Direction will also be given on suitable leagues to commence refereeing.

It doesnt mention the 3rd part, which teaches you how to shake hands and what the different handshakes mean, o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Guess how much it costs to become a referee in Scotland? £35 quid. Or £15 quid if you're on the dole.

Introductory Referee Course
The Introductory Referee Course is delivered on behalf of the Scottish FA by the 12 Referees’ Associations throughout the country.

Course fee

£35 (includes the first season’s membership fee)
£15 for concessions (students and unemployed persons)

The course length is generally between eight and 10 weeks for two hours per night. The courses are held twice a year in the January to March and September to December periods. Other courses may be held outside this schedule depending on local circumstances and demand.

There are two parts to the Introductory Course. The first is classroom-based learning on the Laws of the Game with an exam in the final week. The exam is conducted on computers at the course venue and involves multiple choice questions, report writing and assessing match incidents on video.

The second part involves officiating a match under the guidance of a more experienced referee. Once part two is completed, candidates are able to join the local Referees’ Association and become a Scottish FA registered referee.

Support is given to new referees by their Referees’ Association and a mentor will be arranged to provide guidance in the early stages of their refereeing careers. Direction will also be given on suitable leagues to commence refereeing.

It doesnt mention the 3rd part, which teaches you how to shake hands and what the different handshakes mean, o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Good info can guess how candidates are assessed catholic to the left remainder to the right and have your lodge card with you ,cynical I know but can't think of any other way we could end up in the situation with the so called Refs
At present ,the mind boggles HH

Back