What's Really Going On?

Imatim

I'm of the view there's been a major development behind the scenes between Ange and our powerbrokers.

I don't think this is all about money or the EPL, although it surely features in the equation.

I'm more inclined to think it has more to do with our on-going strategy and a serious difference of opinion between Ange and our major shareholder Dermot Desmond and his right hand man Peter Lawwell.

It will be interesting to see going forward, if our CEO Michael Nicholson and his progressive strategic plans are continued to be implemented, or otherwise. If he is seen to be taking a back seat, then I for one, will have serious reservations of what's going on.

By luck or design, under Ange and Nicholson we had a football and business strategy that was working effectively. Very effectively.

We were ahead of the game, identifying signings well in advance and bedding players in early, so when the football business on the park started, players were in the most part ready and raring to go.

We had a plan, a sensible and very effective business model, unlike things were before the Nicholson, Ange axis came together, where we were bringing in loan players at the eleventh hour.

Is it a case of things were going too well? We had a business and football strategy that was way out in front of our domestic rivals that was producing results on and off the park that were leaving our rivals in our wake, and as a consequence had to be reigned in to keep our rivals viable and relevant, to keep the competition competitive, and to protect the investment of our major shareholders? Could this be the reality?

I suppose we will find out in the coming weeks and months what road we are gong down as a Club. Will it be a progressive road, or will we be stuck on a roundabout.

For my part, I don't want to believe that Ange was a badge kisser and a phoney. I really don't think he was. I think his decision to leave us was based on a lot more than ambition and money, although it was obviously a consideration.

I'm sure we will have subtle soundbites emanating from favoured sources coming our way shortly. The way this saga is spinned will be interesting and insightful. I just hope when this happens, and I'm sure it will, it is not an exercise in manipulation or subterfuge for that would be a big mistake. The Celtic Support is no mugs.

I know my thoughts here will not sit well with some, nonetheless they are being made in good faith. Right or wrong, these are my views, I would be interested in hearing yours...

I think Ange has that Aussie "walkabout" spirit in him... Throughout his career, he has not stayed in one place very long. It seems to me he gets to a point with a team, a level of success and then moves on.
I think his intentions of making the treble game all about the players, fans etc and not about him has back fired but I can see what he was trying to do in hindsight.
Looking at it now, I feel that he should have been more transparent by stating his intentions and I believe by doing that, he would have left with everyones blessing and his legacy intact...
As for Celtic? Again, we are bound by geography and we will continue to dominate our big little world regardless of who is at the wheel

Last edited:
A think we will find out this hasn’t just developed over the last week or so,probably when ange punted his house in oz,it was with the knowledge that property in london is super expensive!!then desmond shows his face,maybe to talk him into hanging on,also to tell him to keep it under wraps till season ticket deadline!!!

A think we will find out this hasn’t just developed over the last week or so,probably when ange punted his house in oz,it was with the knowledge that property in london is super expensive!!then desmond shows his face,maybe to talk him into hanging on,also to tell him to keep it under wraps till season ticket deadline!!!
Yeah when the golfer turned up a few weeks ago, I got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach...

A few things I noted before the speculation about Ange bailing had me wondering that something was afoot.
I wondered about the house sale but prior to that I heard him in a prezzer only weeks ago for the first time almost rule out any new signings where on the horizon and I actually remember saying to myself at the time that felt like an answer from our old signing policy.
Looking at Angeball I think it is a style that has to be constantly refreshed because of the demands it places on the players.
And if the truth be told despite the fact we have won a treble (which I'm grateful for) we have not been any where near our best since after the world cup break.

This could be a combination of Ange running out of steam having won the lot and a knowledge that he wouldn't be able to strengthen the way he needed to give us a decent crack at getting some results in Europe and taking on what i believe will be a stronger challenge from the huns next year.

Finally most of his recent prezzers he sat with his hand on his face showing complete disregard for the banal questions he had to take. A bit of self indulgence and not necessary imo for Celtic Manager.
I think he knew then he was done at that stage to be honest. As always we will be the last to know.

A think we will find out this hasn’t just developed over the last week or so,probably when ange punted his house in oz,it was with the knowledge that property in london is super expensive!!then desmond shows his face,maybe to talk him into hanging on,also to tell him to keep it under wraps till season ticket deadline

Couldn't really give a shit anymore , feckin wrong time to buy a boax we'll get served up Lawwell dross we only need to beat dross in the spfl , europe never matters it's seen by the board as a day out

Someof the planning ahead ,getting transfers in early will get bin'd

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm of the view there's been a major development behind the scenes between Ange and our powerbrokers.

I don't think this is all about money or the EPL, although it surely features in the equation.

I'm more inclined to think it has more to do with our on-going strategy and a serious difference of opinion between Ange and our major shareholder Dermot Desmond and his right hand man Peter Lawwell.

It will be interesting to see going forward, if our CEO Michael Nicholson and his progressive strategic plans are continued to be implemented, or otherwise. If he is seen to be taking a back seat, then I for one, will have serious reservations of what's going on.

By luck or design, under Ange and Nicholson we had a football and business strategy that was working effectively. Very effectively.

We were ahead of the game, identifying signings well in advance and bedding players in early, so when the football business on the park started, players were in the most part ready and raring to go.

We had a plan, a sensible and very effective business model, unlike things were before the Nicholson, Ange axis came together, where we were bringing in loan players at the eleventh hour.

Is it a case of things were going too well? We had a business and football strategy that was way out in front of our domestic rivals that was producing results on and off the park that were leaving our rivals in our wake, and as a consequence had to be reigned in to keep our rivals viable and relevant, to keep the competition competitive, and to protect the investment of our major shareholders? Could this be the reality?

I suppose we will find out in the coming weeks and months what road we are gong down as a Club. Will it be a progressive road, or will we be stuck on a roundabout.

For my part, I don't want to believe that Ange was a badge kisser and a phoney. I really don't think he was. I think his decision to leave us was based on a lot more than ambition and money, although it was obviously a consideration.

I'm sure we will have subtle soundbites emanating from favoured sources coming our way shortly. The way this saga is spinned will be interesting and insightful. I just hope when this happens, and I'm sure it will, it is not an exercise in manipulation or subterfuge for that would be a big mistake. The Celtic Support is no mugs.

I know my thoughts here will not sit well with some, nonetheless they are being made in good faith. Right or wrong, these are my views, I would be interested in hearing yours...
I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see a Peter Lawwell shaped spanner in the works in any progressive Celtic plans.

I'm so disappointed that Ange has decided to leave us for spurs...if it happens. I genuinely thought he was a guy who wanted to create a legacy at Celtic. I believed that he wanted to see what he could do with us in Europe. I feel cheated by him to be honest. Every single interview he did with British and Australian TV, he spoke about what the club meant to him...and he understood what he meant to Celtic fans. He spoke as if he was here for the long haul....so to fuck off to an absolute basket case like spurs, to me, shows he's no different to Brendan Rodgers.
I fully accept he was going to go...but fucking spurs!?!?
He could have stayed at Celtic one more season. The spurs job, and probably another 20 will come up in England over the course of next season, such is the high volume of sackings. In this case....I really hope Ange discovers the grass isn't always greener. He won't get any time at spurs. And if they sack him....he won't manage a top team in England ever again.
I also worry about the players we may lose....guys like Kyogo, Maeda and Hatate are very much his players.

I await the announcement of Kennedy as manager.....or Lennon.
I stand by what I said before....our board react to what goes on with their business partners in Govan...they haven't got a penny to spend, so our board will start to go cheap. They only want to be slightly ahead of their mates in the blue room....if we beat them to the point of irrelevance...its harder to sell the "old firm" brand.

I await the announcement of Kennedy as manager.....or Lennon.
I stand by what I said before....our board react to what goes on with their business partners in Govan...they haven't got a penny to spend, so our board will start to go cheap. They only want to be slightly ahead of their mates in the blue room....if we beat them to the point of irrelevance...its harder to sell the "old firm" brand.
Theren is no old firm, the term is merley a marketing ploy and a figment of our boards and the huns state of mind. Celtic fans know what liquidation means and we witnessed the death of the huns and the end of the old firm tag, the tag is simply a company house registered name.

Members online

No members online now.

Back