Why Bitton could have a big year.

26+6=1

I read an interview with Nir Bitton on the club site and he comes across as a dedicated professional who is determined to rebuild his career. He's on a contract year so his performance will dictate the kind of offers he receives from Celtic or at a new club. He literally has it all to play for. Celtic will play a lot of games this year so he will have plenty of opportunity to work if in good form. I think he has shown enough ability to suggest he'll do well.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/16471

He has affirmed his intention to play anywhere Neil Lennon needs him
He's a solid player, who has had bad luck with long term injuries
He doesn't hide when the opposition try to intimidate, never shirks a tackle & backs up his team mates
He's a good player
I hope he gets an opportunity this season
HH

Before he went out injured he used to drive me nuts slowing the play down

Hope he does well though always thought he was decent player adds a calmness to the squad
That's how I felt when he played under Rodgers too. I certainly don't see him in the first 11 when everyone is fit but against fairly limited opposition he's shown up very well indeed so far under Lenny. We certainly need him around if he's willing to fill in as and when required. For now anyway, beyond his contract I'm not yet convinced.

I'm probably a lone voice on this one but I'm not really a fan of Bitton. I'm not saying he's a dud or anything like that but there's nothing much about him that stands out for me, I just don't see what he brings to the team. He's too slow and casual in possession, he's no exactly a midfield enforcer and he's not known for carving teams open with his passing.

I know this view won't be popular with some but think about it this way, when you think of Broony, Calmac and Christie they all have an area of expertise, part of their game that you can say 'that right there is what he brings to the team'! What's Bitton's? What does he add? Someone mentioned calmness but he just looks lethargic to me. I don't like having a go at the guy but if he was a colour he'd be beige.

I'm probably a lone voice on this one but I'm not really a fan of Bitton. I'm not saying he's a dud or anything like that but there's nothing much about him that stands out for me, I just don't see what he brings to the team. He's too slow and casual in possession, he's no exactly a midfield enforcer and he's not known for carving teams open with his passing.

I know this view won't be popular with some but think about it this way, when you think of Broony, Calmac and Christie they all have an area of expertise, part of their game that you can say 'that right there is what he brings to the team'! What's Bitton's? What does he add? Someone mentioned calmness but he just looks lethargic to me. I don't like having a go at the guy but if he was a colour he'd be beige.
Hey It's how you feel so don't be sorry
It's everyone's right...to be wrong now and again
The big man plays his game nothing fancy but he'll get stuck in when the need arises
Don't know how much game time he'll get but I still rate him and will back the big man
Or I could be wrong...again ?

That pretty much sums it up for me.
If you have a languid style I'll take Rogic over a defensive player any day. For now he has a role. His height and his ability to cover for centre half and Brown. If we get our transfer dealings right over this window and January then there won't be much call for him. He has one year left and for now I'd be happy for him to see it out. Beyond that he'd have to show more than he has to date.

I would see Biton getting used in centre back and defensive midfielder roles. He seems to have applied himself well in learning to be a centre back so he has the chance to provide reliable and effective cover. I've seen him make a lot of mistakes trying to go forward but he has shown a lot of improvements in his defensive game.
With the amount of suspensions likely to happen next year plus wear and tear on players there will be a need for reliable defenders.

Hey It's how you feel so don't be sorry
It's everyone's right...to be wrong now and again
The big man plays his game nothing fancy but he'll get stuck in when the need arises
Don't know how much game time he'll get but I still rate him and will back the big man
Or I could be wrong...again ?

:LOL::LOL::LOL: And I exercise that right on a regular basis DILLIGAF :D

Just to be clear on the matter, I knew what I was saying wouldn't be popular......I never said I was sorry for saying it :LOL: As I said mate I'm not saying the big man is dud or anything like that I just don't know where he fits into the team or what he adds when he's there. Aye he's a decent enough utility man to call upon when the need arises I suppose but as a first team regular he's no for me.

HH :)(y)

That pretty much sums it up for me.
If you have a languid style I'll take Rogic over a defensive player any day. For now he has a role. His height and his ability to cover for centre half and Brown. If we get our transfer dealings right over this window and January then there won't be much call for him. He has one year left and for now I'd be happy for him to see it out. Beyond that he'd have to show more than he has to date.

Aye a decent enough utility man to have around I suppose Niall.

HH. (y)

I'm inclined to agree, Andy, somewhat ironically - I think he'd be far better suited to playing at a really decent standard on the continent where things aren't quite so frantic.

He's a technically gifted player, just not spectacularly gifted in any particular area. I feel a bit sorry for him, as he just seems like a square peg in a round hole at Celtic. I believe his career would get a bit of a leg-up playing in France or Spain.

I have no animosity towards the boy and he seems to have a genuine affinity with the club. He seems popular within the squad, but I think he might benefit from a fresh start and a new challenge.

We always need players of different abilities,to fill different roles !dont think we can have a team where everyone is a superstar ,look at John Clark ,the best unassuming player in the lions team,!and we have many of the same ilk throughout the years ,as long as the manager can utilise him ,good and well ,hh

I'm inclined to agree, Andy, somewhat ironically - I think he'd be far better suited to playing at a really decent standard on the continent where things aren't quite so frantic.

He's a technically gifted player, just not spectacularly gifted in any particular area. I feel a bit sorry for him, as he just seems like a square peg in a round hole at Celtic. I believe his career would get a bit of a leg-up playing in France or Spain.

I have no animosity towards the boy and he seems to have a genuine affinity with the club. He seems popular within the squad, but I think he might benefit from a fresh start and a new challenge.

Like yourself SP I have no animosity towards the big man, it's not necessarily that I think he's a terrible player there's just nothing about him that stands out for me. Like you say he may be more suited to the continental style of play. The irony of that then is he was probably more suited to the slow build-up possession style of play favoured by Brendan Rodgers so you've got to wonder why BR couldn't find a place for him.

Decent enough for cover when the need arises I suppose but other than that......meh!

HH SP(y)

Doubt we'll see him offered an new contract but that will depend on what he shows at CB throughout the year. Wherever he goes it's what he does this year that will determine what he earns and where next. In American sports players generally play their best in their contract years infact; most seem to build themselves towards that. It's interesting that he's still close enough to VVD to hang out with him on his holidays and VVD has been quoted about coaching him in the past. I hope we turn out to have a hidden gem at CB. He's not anywhere near the caliber of Kevin Moran but he successfully made the transition from midfield to CB near the end of his career and Biton is still in his prime.

van-dijk-bitton-celtic.jpg

I read an interview with Nir Bitton on the club site and he comes across as a dedicated professional who is determined to rebuild his career. He's on a contract year so his performance will dictate the kind of offers he receives from Celtic or at a new club. He literally has it all to play for. Celtic will play a lot of games this year so he will have plenty of opportunity to work if in good form. I think he has shown enough ability to suggest he'll do well.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/16471
(y)(y)(y)

Members online

Latest posts

Back