Why embracing Celtic's Catholic Roots is not something that should be contentious

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Nice piece of work by Liam.

I don't give a monkey's what anyone's faith is if they choose to support Celtic. Religion should not be our defining characteristic, but neither should Catholics be condemned or shamed for being inspired by their faith or with an affinity to Celtic.

I know plenty of Catholics in Dundee who cannot abide Celtic. I also know many prods who are passionate Celtic fans. The fact that my parents were Irish and Catholic is incidental to my support of the club, but if anyone associates Catholicism with Celtic - then I have no issue with that.

I believe the beauty of the club and it's fans, is that no one really gives a shit what school or chapel you went to. Celtic is our universal religion/belief system and we all worship at the same church.

Celtic will always be 'The Catholic Team'. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but the diversity of our support suggests something completely different.

Why embracing Celtic's Catholic Roots is not something that should be contentious - excellent article by Liam Kelly...

That was top class!

Check out the statement given by H. Warren Hutchinson (Sinn Fein Member Glasgow) to the Irish Bureau of Military History in 1953. He must have been in his 80s. He talks about two Glasgow football teams he and his older brother formed in 1885.
A senior team called Loyola Seniors FC and a Junior team called, believe it or not, Gonzaga Juniors FC. He explains why they were formed and what he claims it led to.
Bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie
Index of Witnesses
H Warren Hutchinson (Page 11 out of 12 for H)

As an atheist I can't get too excited about the connection, but because of our history I completely understand it, if it wasn't for the church we would never have been formed, and that is something that Celtic supporters of all faiths and none, should be eternally grateful for.

Religion and football ?
My mother was a Celtic '' supporter '' - she never saw a game in her life , couldn't name one player but they were the 'Catholic ' team so they got her vote .

A bible thumper came to the door one day and asked if we were Christians - ''Naw ! '' says my mammy '' We're Catholics ! ''

HH

I just feel more comfortable being a Celtic Supporter....wasn't easy in the early days, especially at school...but hey...they had the issues ...not me...I was happy and comfortable with it
I think most catholics are protestant and just dont know it tbh

:p

football is football

it should never have anything to do with religion or faith or none

it should be about football

I think most catholics are protestant and just dont know it tbh

:p

football is football

it should never have anything to do with religion or faith or none

it should be about football
Exactly.......When I was wee, my next door neighbour...took me to see Hearts, as he was a supporter....I never felt comfortable watching them.....Jock Stein bought Wullie Wallace...and I followed Wullie....as he was my fave player......I am so glad I did......25.5.67....and all that....Best decison I made in life....And as they say.... If you know yer history...............And in those days being a proddy I was basically an outcast at school.....I can honestly say I am a better person for it.....The Celtic Way

celtic aint about catholic

but its not anti catholic and thats important to me :p

who are what people believe or how they believe or not is not important to being celtic fan

it wasn't just catholics the club welcomed

it just didn't exclude or castigate anyone else faith or none
Like it ๐Ÿ‘ was brought up by two Irish immigrants bit heavy catholics to be fair , me sorry I am not a catholic for the simple reason to call me a catholic is disrespecting my parents my wee ma passed a few years ago ma auld da going strong ๐Ÿ’ช religion is like Willy wonka to me donโ€™t get in it but ma da and my wee ma certainly did , and good fuckin luck tae them no for me unfortunately CELTIC are my team thatโ€™s it end off donโ€™t care if the POPE ,THE QUEEN or Nigel Farrage supports my team cause there my fuckin team so all you catholic , protestant jewish muslim and any other cunts I havenโ€™t offended fuck off they are my team good bad shite brilliant and they are your team if you want nane a this everyone everyone shite you want football from the heart ๐Ÿšฌthereโ€™s no choice as the song states if you know your history ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€

Last edited by a moderator:
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ and all Protestants are protesting about whit ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
they are protesting that they cant make up bits to suit themselves but instead of being honest about it they blame everybody and anybody else

they are the revolution

the glorious revolution for freedom of religion except the christianity most closely documented from the fathers and apostles elected by christ is NOT allowed

freedom of religion for revolutionary version of christianity but catholicism is banned coz the pope wears a pointy hat

:p:p:p

All revolutionary movements are directly entwined with Protest

All revolutionaries are de facto protestant

Barabbas was a revolutionary, the world chose him rather than catholicism

they are protesting that they cant make up bits to suit themselves but instead of being honest about it they blame everybody and anybody else

they are the revolution

the glorious revolution for freedom of religion except the christianity most closely documented from the fathers and apostles elected by christ is NOT allowed

freedom of religion for revolutionary version of christianity but catholicism is banned coz the pope wears a pointy hat

:p:p:p

All revolutionary movements are directly entwined with Protest

All revolutionaries are de facto protestant

Barabbas was a revolutionary, the world chose him rather than catholicism
See TET yer away mate what are Protestants protesting about? Why canโ€™t my grandson not be prime minister of this GREAT ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆcountry because he is catholic

Members online

No members online now.

Back