Will Brexit ironically be the destroyer of the oxymoron - the united kingdom

JimMc

There never was such a credible thing as the united kingdom, it always was for many not much more than a surreal thought, a union for politicians at best, and for some a traumatic begrudging forced reality from the end of a cannon and powers beyond them.

Examined the Island of Britain is not and never has been any more united as one than the island of Ireland.
It could be argued that until recent times Ireland had only 2 obvious competing identities, while the supposed uk had several different identities inside of it who do not accept or aspire to the status quo identity of british.

There is no doubt that regardless of fudge agreement or not, Brexit has made more people in the Island of Ireland consider a united Ireland (supposedly united as that may equally prove) a more likely political event and one sooner than ever imagined before Brexit.

What about the island of Britain?
I know it quite well having travelled across and stayed in much of it on business and leisure.
I have always considered the Britain I witnessed as a collection of quite different places, and a
clearly divided island whether on resources from one area to another or the more obvious identity differences. For me those differences are now and driven by Brexit destined towards a more divided future and a Island destined to sub divide and the oxymoron claim of a united kingdom, obvious to all as not credible.

But I don't live there, so maybe I see it wrong.

Last edited:
Brexit, little Englander nationalism and as a result might see a united Ireland, an independent Scotland,or the mother of all civil wars! watch this space HH

I understand that there has been a demographic transition in the North of Ireland, and that either currently or very soon, there will be a Nationalist or Republican majority among those of voting age.
I would guess that the shabby treatments of the wish of Scottish voters to remain in the EU may have led to a higher proportion of the population hoping for separation and independence. Sadly, I cannot see either the unification of Ireland nor the independence of Scotland ever occurying in my life-time.

There never was such a credible thing as the united kingdom, it always was for many not much more than a surreal thought, a union for politicians at best, and for some a traumatic begrudging forced reality from the end of a cannon and powers beyond them.

Examined the Island of Britain is not and never has been any more united as one than the island of Ireland.
It could be argued that until recent times Ireland had only 2 obvious competing identities, while the supposed uk had several different identities inside of it who do not accept or aspire to the status quo identity of british.

There is no doubt that regardless of fudge agreement or not, Brexit has made more people in the Island of Ireland consider a united Ireland (supposedly united as that may equally prove) a more likely political event and one sooner than ever imagined before Brexit.

What about the island of Britain?
I know it quite well having travelled across and stayed in much of it on business and leisure.
I have always considered the Britain I witnessed as a collection of quite different places, and a
clearly divided island whether on resources from one area to another or the more obvious identity differences. For me those differences are now and driven by Brexit destined towards a more divided future and a Island destined to sub divide and the oxymoron claim of a united kingdom, obvious to all as not credible.

But I don't live there, so maybe I see it wrong.
Anyone is favourable over a Catholic or a Celtic supporter in this horrible island.

Its going to get worse if brexit goes through because then the masonic brethren in the courts are answerable to no-one which allows all brethren an even stronger hold again.

Brexit is the worst thing in the world to us and its looming like a black cloud, mark my words

Members online

Latest posts

Back