Will Ireland become one united country in your lifetime?

My Great Grandfather was a Mullingar man..

You may talk and write and boast about your Fenians and your clans,
And how the boys from County Cork beat up the Black and Tan.
And view a little codger who came out without a scar.
His name is Paddy Mulligan, the man from Mullingar.

The Peelers chased him out of Connemara,
For beatin' up the valiant Dan O'Hara.
And when he came to Ballymoney, he stole the Parson's car,
And he sold it to the Bishop in the town of Castlebar.
Seven hundred Peelers couldn't catch him.
The Chieftain paid the army for to catch him.
And when he came to Dublin Town, he stole an armoured car
And sold it to the IRA brigade in Mullingar.

Well the Peelers got their orders to suppress the man on sight.
So they sent for reinforcements through the county left and right.
Three thousand men surrounded him, they hunted near and far.
But he was with the IRA in Johnston's Motor Car.

The Peelers chased him out of Connemara,
For beatin' up the valiant Dan O'Hara.
And when he came to Ballymore, he stole the Parson's car,
And he sold it to the Bishop in the town of Castlegar.
Seven hundred Peelers couldn't match him.
The Chieftain paid the army for to catch him.
And when he came to Dublin Town, he stole an armoured car
And sold it to the IRA brigade in Mullingar.

They came with tanks and armoured cars, they came with all their might.
Them Peelers never counted on old Paddy's dynamite.
On the fourteenth day of April, well he blew them to July.
And the name of Paddy Mulligan took half of Ireland's pride.

I hope it happens but does the Republic want the Six Counties? Serious question given financial and social implications
It's a valid question JS, there is no way we are talking a landslide vote for reunification in the republic, but I think when the referendum got underway the emotions would get the better of the doubters and would be a decent majority at the end of the day.

Read somewhere recently there is a groundswell of opinion in the South that they don't fancy inheriting all the protestant layabouts from the North who have never worked in their lives. Or paying taxes to support them.
It sounds like you must have been reading some right wing Fine Gael election pamphlet, Varadkar really is a piece of shit imo, if there is to be reunification it must be on an all inclusive basis and all sides and faiths be treated equally.

It sounds like you must have been reading some right wing Fine Gael election pamphlet, Varadkar really is a piece of shit imo, if there is to be reunification it must be on an all inclusive basis and all sides and faiths be treated equally.
Dont remember where I read it. It was online, think the jist of it was about the middle class southerners that had that opinion, the type that shun their history and bristle at the sound of a reb tune.

The loyalist hatred here has not diminished one iota, just the same as the WATP mob they believe they are superior. A United Ireland is still a long way off, unfortunately, as even Sinn Fein rarely mention it now. SF sold Republicans a pup and, were it not for a groundswell of opinion, they would have stayed in Stormont.

The reunification of Ireland and independence for Scotland is something I pray I see in my lifetime. Time both these ancient countries unshackled themselves completely from this pretend Union, that was only ever intended to serve the interests of the English ruling class, and retook their place on the world stage as fully independent nations

Now is the time to do it however as the direction of travel the UK is being taken in by some very dangerous people driven solely by their own greed and self interest should worry us all and this may be our best and LAST chance of seeing it happen.

The problem with 'taking back control' is WHO ends up in control.

I am the son of a man of Cork and a girl of Galway (gone but never forgotten).

Both left the land of their birth due to issues that existed beyond the british problem. My Father left with his family as a young boy and my Mother came over alone as a young woman.

Ireland was in the midst of a bad time. There were disputes over land, livestock and fishing and the Church did not separate itself sufficiently from the wealthier parishioners to protect the poorer elements of society.

The progress made throughout Ireland in that 70-year period has been revolutionary and incredible to behold.

After the false dawn of the "celtic tiger" economic boom, Ireland has stabilised again and showing signs of significant economic growth and modern cultural progression.

We'll have the 6, not because we necessarily want them, or need them - but because it belongs to the island and it is ours.

I would welcome all who are willing to contribute to the cause and I hope I am alive to see the unification of one nation (under a groove). I fear it is still some way off, but I am hopeful of some promising young political voices lending weight to the debate.

Living in the six counties, I can't see for the foreseeable future, a United Ireland. There are many reasons for this. For anyone who doesn't live here, there is still a fierce bitterness from the unionist community. There would be war again if it were to happen.
There is also a lot of the catholic community who wouldn't want to be part of the south. Simply because they would be losing out on nhs, free schooling etc. The people in the south are getting fleeced.
Then you have the people in the south who want nothing to do with the north. A lot of them simply have no clue as to what went on here and just couldn't care less( especially the younger generation).
Then you have the brexit situation, which could change everyone's opinion, simply because no one seems to know what will happen with the border.
Also if Scotland go for another independence referendum and manage to push it through this time, then that will break up the so called Union and then we're all laughin.
So to cut a long story short, I can't see it. But I hope I'm wrong!

Living in the six counties, I can't see for the foreseeable future, a United Ireland. There are many reasons for this. For anyone who doesn't live here, there is still a fierce bitterness from the unionist community. There would be war again if it were to happen.
There is also a lot of the catholic community who wouldn't want to be part of the south. Simply because they would be losing out on nhs, free schooling etc. The people in the south are getting fleeced.
Then you have the people in the south who want nothing to do with the north. A lot of them simply have no clue as to what went on here and just couldn't care less( especially the younger generation).
Then you have the brexit situation, which could change everyone's opinion, simply because no one seems to know what will happen with the border.
Also if Scotland go for another independence referendum and manage to push it through this time, then that will break up the so called Union and then we're all laughin.
So to cut a long story short, I can't see it. But I hope I'm wrong!
I was hoping you would be posting on this TD, just to get that added insight from someone living in the midst of it all.

My Paternal family had some experience of the Northern problem, but my Ma was oblivious to a lot of the issues until she came to Scotland.

Thanks for your insight, it's easy for folk like me to think it should all be relatively straightforward, but there are a million and one other factors to consider.

Long way to go yet,i be home in donegal a few times a year an the guys a know or drink with have no intrest in it.then there is a whole lot of bitter loyalists around the north yet unless they all ship over to ayrshire who will fight to the bitter end

If they see it coming..I believe a lot of loyalists will leave...which will hasten the process...but I don't see it in my lifetime...but some people here may see it.

I was hoping you would be posting on this TD, just to get that added insight from someone living in the midst of it all.

My Paternal family had some experience of the Northern problem, but my Ma was oblivious to a lot of the issues until she came to Scotland.

Thanks for your insight, it's easy for folk like me to think it should all be relatively straightforward, but there are a million and one other factors to consider.
Nothing is ever black and white. I remember spending hours discussing the political situation in Ireland with a Korean. After hours of doing my best to explain both sides of the argument, all be it from a nationalist angle. He sat quiet for a short period and turned to me and said "this is very simple to me, just tell them English bastards to fuck off home". To which I replied "we've been doing that for 800 years and they won't fuckin listen"!

Back