Wim Jansen RIP

i've got 1 eye working, so its fuzzy, but i can only imagine you've put my thoughts into English m8 and slightly better than i could, marginally though

Wim was the original hunskelper, he achieved 1 league title, but that specific league title carried more weight than another 10 combined

He stopped the runaway train and managed it while giving off the impression that he didnt know a football from a chief executive cum commentator

there will NEVER be a title in my lifetime that will matter more than that one.
Sure there were others that were delicious, but securing that holy grail was the catalyst for what followed. The juggernaut that was the huns under Murray were given their first bloody nose and the house of cards started to unravel. I can't imagine where history would have taken both clubs had that day turned out differently .........

as an aside i met Wim at the Lambert testimonial dinner, many years after the event
while i was all over the man that stopped the ten, my pal unwittingly was trying to pull his extremely gorgeous wife, many many years younger than Wim.

I'm reminded of him asking her 'are you staying locally love', she replied 'yes, i have a room here', 'well what are we waiting for doll ?'.
with great wit she replied 'despite being as cute and funny as you are, tonight i'm going to sleep with the man who stopped your 10'. like being k/o'd but caught by angels

ps respect to Wim, he won and announced he was off next day on a point of principle', no hanging on for a pay off or XYZ, i resign....money is irrelevant

pss what a barnet too..fergus and jock was just jealous
PSSSSSSS

My pals reply was paraphrasing ' i've never been into threesomes, but this is as close as i'll ever get'

wim was successful and had humility in spades, he was just a guy that happened to be publicly known cos his talents lay in such a popular sport. even he must have thought at times, how the fuck did i end up at Celtic, how the fuck did i even make their shortlist..... but he did and the rest is history.

Did i say i met the man, ok may have, i'll divulge for once,
i'm not generally an attention seeker unless you question my post or its a picture.

i got 5 minutes one to one just after a 3 courser and pre Jack D,
I saw the fuzzy hair and 3 empty seats, an opportunity,
i went up to his table, do you mind Mr Jansen, he said no problem, but on condition you call me Vim
Thanks Vim, i appreciate it, niceities etc.
i've one thing to ask you then i'll leave you alone.
he smiled, whats would that be,
is there any chance you can get me murdo's autograph, he was my hero as a child :ROFLMAO:

I remember asking him about his time at Celtic and his experience in Scotland overall and he said 'i knew Celtic was a big club, i played against the lions in the 70 final, so i jumped at the chance but i was naive'. I'm paraphrasing but he said 'managing Celtic transcends football. I was prepared to be the football coach, but this was something else. All of a sudden i was the figurehead for a religion, because thats what this club is for the fans.
I'm sure i joked 'well at least being at Celticat the timeof Fergus and Jock would have had you pulling your hair out, which was no bad thing eh Wim,
not sure he got that or liked it.

But i do remember saying to him that what he achieved in that year would live forever in history. Managers that had been there longer and won more wouldnt get the same space as the man that stopped the ten.

i was tyring to think of a musical tribute to wim other than celtic songs and immediately came up with his doppelganger

oor jeff, arguably the most talented man in music i.e. could write, play, sing, record and produce.
more humble than anyone in that business IMO

he hadn't done a gig in over 20 years, chris evans (yes the annoying ginger cunt that was Gazzas pal) got him out of cold storage for a radio 1 headline effort,
i remember watching the interview with him beforehand, he was asked how do you feel, he replied 'nervous, i just hope that enough people turn up and give my music a chance'

the place was sold out and the 40-50k in attendance knew every word to every song.
On stage Jeff the most humblest of men was somehow humbled

Heres to Jeff Wim

Last edited:
wim was successful and had humility in spades, he was just a guy that happened to be publicly known cos his talents lay in such a popular sport. even he must have thought at times, how the fuck did i end up at Celtic, how the fuck did i even make their shortlist..... but he did and the rest is history.

i'm not generally an attention seeker unless you question my post or its a picture.

i went up to his table, do you mind Mr Jansen, he said no problem, but on condition you call me Vim
Thanks Vim, i appreciate it i'm stephen, niceities etc.
is there any chance you can get me murdo's autograph, he was my hero as a child :ROFLMAO:

I remember asking him about his time at Celtic and his experience in Scotland overall and he said 'i knew Celtic was a big club, i played against the lions in the 70 final, so i jumped at the chance but i was naive'. I'm paraphrasing but he said 'managing Celtic transcends football. I was prepared to be the football coach, but this was something else. All of a sudden i was the figurehead for a religion, because thats what this club is for the fans.
I'm sure i joked 'well at least being at Celticat the timeof Fergus and Jock would have had you pulling your hair out, which was no bad thing eh Wim,

But i do remember saying to him that what he achieved in that year would live forever in history. Managers that had been there longer and won more wouldnt get the same space as the man that stopped the ten.

i was tyring to think of a musical tribute to wim other than celtic songs and immediately came up with his doppelganger

oor jeff, arguably the most talented man in music i.e. could write, play, sing, record and produce.

he hadn't done a gig in over 20 years, chris evans (yes the annoying ginger cunt that was Gazzas pal) got him out of cold storage for a radio 1 headline effort,
i remember watching the interview with him beforehand, he was asked how do you feel, he replied 'nervous, i just hope that enough people turn up and give my music a chance'

the place was sold out and the 40-50k in attendance knew every word to every song.

Heres to Jeff Wim

The only thing I can say to this post is thanks for sharing your wonderful memories STG. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Like the rest of The Noisers, your love of our club oozes from every pore. Thanks again. HH

Last edited:
Dear Wim

There are no words I have to describe your impact upon my experience as a Celtic supporter during that one glorious season in 97/98.

I was too young to acknowledge your value as a player and I felt that Fergus and Jock Brown had just signed up another cheap hack to become another scapegoat whilst that mob had their procession to securing 10 titles in a row.

The early signs appeared to confirm my worst fears. The signings didn't exactly inspire confidence. Burley and Rieper appeared to be journeymen wage monkeys. Darren Jackson seemed to be just another warm body and don't even start me on that wee prima donna Larsson. The boy had poser and showpony without substance written all over him and certainly didn't look like he had the guts for a fight.

Early results and performances just underlined how desperate things were. Beaten by Hibs and humiliated at home by Dunfermline, all while Marco Negri was ripping up the league with the huns.

Throughout that difficult start, you remained cool, calm and collected and the compassion you displayed when it became known about Jackson's hydrocephalus was the true metric of your talent and humanity.

Although results slowly picked up, it was the UEFA cup tie with Liverpool when I genuinely felt it was beginning to come together. Although Henrik got injured, he showed his true quality and grit. Jackie Mac (after a relatively slow start to his Celtic career) looked like a quality player and those early comparisons to Kenny Dalglish that were made in reference to Simon Donnelly didn't seem quite as outlandish as they had previously. We might have been knocked out on away goals, but for the first time in almost a decade - you gave us all back a sense of real hope that this might be the year.

History will be kind to you, Wim. You were the man we needed at that time and I'm only disappointed that our time together couldn't have lasted a little longer. There was never a doubt about your knowledge and respect for our club, but we needed a coach with that little bit of detachment and who wouldn't get into a frenzy over the stakes that season.

Most of all though, you seemed like a fine man, Wim. You carried yourself with a dignity and integrity that earned our admiration. Upon securing that glorious title, I never got the sense that you accepted the glory or the credit - you praised, Murdo and the players, but you also knew it was OUR collective glory that was what was most important.

At that time, you had incredible power within the support and you could gave started a revolution if you had the will, but even at that time - I believe you realised that it would be extremely damaging to the club and you quietly took your leave without the fanfare your achievements deserved. Once again you displayed the humility, grace and dignity that underlines your place in Celtic folklore.

The ravages of time were not kind to you, Wim - like our Dear Billy and Harry - you had to endure the torture of losing those fine memories of yourself and that is cruel and unfair; however - I hope that you have found your peace now and that you are aware of how much of an impression you made in such a short space of time.

In spite of quadruple trebles and a European final - it was that one glorious season that I remember most fondly in my lifetime of support. I was proud to be a Celtic fan again and to hold my head up high while the huns were losing theirs.

I will be eternally grateful for what you did for our club and the legacy you left in Henrik. I might not choose to style a tight-knit perm, but I'd gladly have your disposition and humility.

Rest well, Wim...........Young Phil and the rest of Bould Bhoys in Barrel Hoops will make you feel at home up there.
I'm speechless SP. Quite simply the perfect tribute. Thanks for taking the time to post. Hurry back. HH.

Thanks Vim, i appreciate it i'm stephen, niceities etc.

Heres to Jeff Wim

Its bad enough reading your pish on here ..couldnt imagine how bad it must be being approached by you while eating my dinner..🤣

I see there is a thread on the dark side about Wim and fair play to them the comments wouldn’t look out of place on here considering he stopped what would have been the old clubs finest hour.
Aye I’ve seen it, although most of the posts seem to say “he broke my heart/10IAR dreams, found out whit the tarriers/feinians were aw about and scarpered after one season” 😡

Dear Wim

There are no words I have to describe your impact upon my experience as a Celtic supporter during that one glorious season in 97/98.

I was too young to acknowledge your value as a player and I felt that Fergus and Jock Brown had just signed up another cheap hack to become another scapegoat whilst that mob had their procession to securing 10 titles in a row.

The early signs appeared to confirm my worst fears. The signings didn't exactly inspire confidence. Burley and Rieper appeared to be journeymen wage monkeys. Darren Jackson seemed to be just another warm body and don't even start me on that wee prima donna Larsson. The boy had poser and showpony without substance written all over him and certainly didn't look like he had the guts for a fight.

Early results and performances just underlined how desperate things were. Beaten by Hibs and humiliated at home by Dunfermline, all while Marco Negri was ripping up the league with the huns.

Throughout that difficult start, you remained cool, calm and collected and the compassion you displayed when it became known about Jackson's hydrocephalus was the true metric of your talent and humanity.

Although results slowly picked up, it was the UEFA cup tie with Liverpool when I genuinely felt it was beginning to come together. Although Henrik got injured, he showed his true quality and grit. Jackie Mac (after a relatively slow start to his Celtic career) looked like a quality player and those early comparisons to Kenny Dalglish that were made in reference to Simon Donnelly didn't seem quite as outlandish as they had previously. We might have been knocked out on away goals, but for the first time in almost a decade - you gave us all back a sense of real hope that this might be the year.

History will be kind to you, Wim. You were the man we needed at that time and I'm only disappointed that our time together couldn't have lasted a little longer. There was never a doubt about your knowledge and respect for our club, but we needed a coach with that little bit of detachment and who wouldn't get into a frenzy over the stakes that season.

Most of all though, you seemed like a fine man, Wim. You carried yourself with a dignity and integrity that earned our admiration. Upon securing that glorious title, I never got the sense that you accepted the glory or the credit - you praised, Murdo and the players, but you also knew it was OUR collective glory that was what was most important.

At that time, you had incredible power within the support and you could gave started a revolution if you had the will, but even at that time - I believe you realised that it would be extremely damaging to the club and you quietly took your leave without the fanfare your achievements deserved. Once again you displayed the humility, grace and dignity that underlines your place in Celtic folklore.

The ravages of time were not kind to you, Wim - like our Dear Billy and Harry - you had to endure the torture of losing those fine memories of yourself and that is cruel and unfair; however - I hope that you have found your peace now and that you are aware of how much of an impression you made in such a short space of time.

In spite of quadruple trebles and a European final - it was that one glorious season that I remember most fondly in my lifetime of support. I was proud to be a Celtic fan again and to hold my head up high while the huns were losing theirs.

I will be eternally grateful for what you did for our club and the legacy you left in Henrik. I might not choose to style a tight-knit perm, but I'd gladly have your disposition and humility.

Rest well, Wim...........Young Phil and the rest of Bould Bhoys in Barrel Hoops will make you feel at home up there.
Cheers SP you put in Words what That season was hard going to start with then a belief in what the Manager was getting through and from the players to beating the Huns at the Turn of the year to Henrich and Harold scoring at home to seal it.
Was a Magical experience going into work that Monday morning to see the Tears and Snotters of the Huns I had a huge beaming smile all because of Wim.
It’s also true about the many many players from that era who are suffering from that dreadful disease Dementia.
Good to see you posting again you’ve been missed 👏

HH SP

Dear Wim

Perfect pal. Just perfect. Hope you are well?

Genuinely one of my favourite managers. I was going every week by the time he got announced as manager and totally remember that pass by larsson to chick charnley to score the winner. Was in a hibbes house watching the game with him getting a semi about Jimmy bocou? debut. We fell behind but went on a 13 game win streak I think to pull it back & get in front. Was always great hearing Wim explaining his choice of team/formation.

and most of all, stopping their *10

272857164_978016682845075_6522261138567996661_n.jpg

272979178_978016542845089_7383800617627364963_n.jpg

272955418_978016699511740_3210911626271111057_n.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back