Your Celtic Dream Team

Bridie Bhoy

A topic that crops up now and again (and inspired by chat on another thread of the best defence we could have had) and we have a lot of new members since it was last discussed. What would be your Celtic dream team of players you can remember?

Most of the Lions were just finishing/leaving when I started supporting the Hoops. Also, I don't have much memory of Bobby Murdoch or George Connelly otherwise they both would have been playing or on the bench.

I've gone for a 4-4--2 which becomes a 4-2-4. And as its 2021 you get 9 subs.

F Forster

D McGrain, B McNeil, V van Dijk, K Tierney

J Johnstone, P McStay, D Hay, B Lennox

H Larsson, K Dalglish​

Subs
A Boruc
T Boyd
P Elliot
S Brown
L Moravcik
S Nakamura
V Wanyama
C Sutton
P Van Hooijdonk

There are a large number of near misses, including: T Burns, R Aitken, B Murdoch, C Gordon, M Reiper, J Mjallby, F McAvennie, G McCluskey, G Connelly, J Collins, S Petrov, L Macari, H Hood, N Lennon, M Viduka, J Cadette, B McClair, M McLeod, D Provan, J Hartson, A Thompson, S Sinclair, P Lambert, C Nicholas, D Deans, P Di Canio, M Dembele, etc, etc.

You could probably pick another 20 players that could be in the team that I have not included above. I'm sure if I did this next week my team will probably be different. This is for fun and there are no right or wrong answers - unless you pick Mo Johnston!!!

Last edited:
Right mine is a bit left field maybe compared to you guys so far as I've gone for no width in the midfield, Hence why I've left the greatest celt on the bench ( please forgive me)

Boruc
McGrain, Gemmell, McNeil, Boyd
Burns, Murdoch, McStay
Lubo
Henrik, McGrory

Subs :
Johnstone
Collins
Aitken
McClair
Annoni
Auld
Craig
Charmers
Lennox

Manager :
Liam Brady .... 😂

Big Jock though really.

A second goalkeeper was the only substitute allowed at the time. The other members of the squad who played in Europe during that season were Charlie Gallagher, John Hughes, Joe McBride and Willie O'Neill. ;)
The thing with the Lisbon Lions starting XI is we now speak of them as being a fixed team that swept all before them for years, but they actually only played together as that team aboout 11 times. There were a few other players that came in and started along with these legends that should be remembered as well.

You know what? I actually struggle to answer this. For more than sixty years I've had the good fortune to be a Celtic supporter. I can go back as far as Bobby Evans, Willie Fernie etc. I look at BB's post and each and every one of those names has a cherished place in my memory. I don't think it's so very far off the mark to say most, if not all, would displace any of the current crop of players. I'm trying not to sit on the fence, honest. I just feel so so lucky to have watched those guys wearing The Hoops.

Latchford

McGrain

VVD

McNeil

Gemmell

murdoch

mcstay

petrov

Lubo

lennox

larsson

========
subs
========
Foster

sutton

Reiper

mjalby

thomson

A lynch

johnstone

Auld

Cadete

Dalglish

Manager ... T, Burns
I wondered if anyone would go for Latchford. He was a very reliable keeper when I was a wee lad. I did miss out Andy Lynch as well from my extensive list of near misses, and he was a wonderful player too.

You know what? I actually struggle to answer this. For more than sixty years I've had the good fortune to be a Celtic supporter. I can go back as far as Bobby Evans, Willie Fernie etc. I look at BB's post and each and every one of those names has a cherished place in my memory. I don't think it's so very far off the mark to say most, if not all, would displace any of the current crop of players. I'm trying not to sit on the fence, honest. I just feel so so lucky to have watched those guys wearing The Hoops.
I know Frank, it is a near impossible question as we are so lucky to have been blessed with so many fantastic players. You are even more fortunate to have witnessed Evans, Fernie, Peacock, Crerand, the Lions, the Quality Street Kids, etc. And sadly yes, every one of them would get in our current side.

Back