Your fave Celtic player and Why

Great quote and post, Lennono

I think there's something extra special about the fans and players who aren't raised in the 'traditional' way.

I was born into Celtic, I didn't have much choice, but for as much as I'm thankful for it, I believe that some lads and lassies have to be brave and buck their own traditions to support Our Club.

On the subject of favourite players, I played nets, do Packie was always my hero.

Tommy and The Maestro were my favourite outfield players, but Packie (apart from his commentary) still tops my poll.

Hmmm

But for the Grace of God I could have been a HUN ?

Being the eldest product of a mixed marriage Catholic mother Protestant father I could have gone in either direction Funnily enough my own daughters are products of exactly the same scenario but that's an aside

Fortunately my father came from Aberdeen and had no real interest in football nor religion for that matter although members of his side of the family were steeped in Freemasonary and my paternal grandparents bought a flat just opposite stairway 13 at Ibrokes when relocating to Glasgow in the late 1940s but in fairness no family pressure was ever put on me as to footballing allegience although I did attend a Catholic school indeed Seminaries for a few years after I had left primary

My earliest recollections of football were the results being read out on the telly at tea time

I also remember watching a game on telly and the commentator advising the programme audience that a certain player had been looking to find another certain player with a pass and me asking my dad how the commentator had known this? ??

Funny how certain things remain so prominent in the memory even after almost 60 years ? Probably proves that I was a Muppet even then

Anyway living in and going to school in Easterhouse in the early/mid 60s just as Celtic were beginning to emerge from decades of slumber and wilderness occupancy my interests were stoked by classroom and playground chatter and the mention of names such as Stein McNeill Johnstone Lennox McBride and Parkheid

Outside of school we'd all play together both Catholic and Protestant kids Celtic minded or HUNS and I cannot recollect any anomosity although I reckon something must have rubbed off on my psyche as even today I can only refer to THEM as HUNS or SEVCO

I recall some of the Proddy kids supporting Celtic but Catholic kids would never reciprocate and follow the HUNS

I sometimes wonder if my attitude marks me out to be a bigot?
After almost 60 years of such entrenchment I have come to the conclusion probably not but if it does then who gives a fuck? ???

I sometimes wonder what I'd miss most if I didn't live in Glasgow or emigrated?
There would be a few things Friends The City itself After all I consider it to be my city The banter and friendliness of the people and I suppose that must include HUNS to an extent but obviously in non footballing or religious contexts BUT what I'd miss more than anything is going to Parkheid

I know that many of you travel great distances to come to Glasgow every other week or more regularly and you have my total admiration for your stamina commitment and resolve
Maybe it's Parochialism or lack of ambition on my part but Glasgow and Celtic are what I know What I've always known and I don't ever see that changing Not in this lifetime at least
I love to travel and have done extensively but there are few acres in Glesga's East End which has a grip on me and I just couldn't live without getting my regular fix of it

HH?

Last edited:
Henrik Larsson covered every blade of grass and gave more from his position than anyone i’ve ever seen and then there’s the goal tally n golden boot. All round consummate professional and talent.

Would have loved to have been around to see the lions or the QSG.

Would also have liked to have seen our players of the early 1900’s through to 1930’s.

Now that would be awesome.

Seen a bit of that history on the Celtic tour, which i’m sure most of us have done more than once.

Definitely a tour not to be missed and i highly recommend it, its a great day out.

Hmmm

Being the eldest product of a mixed marriage Catholic mother Protestant father I could have gone in either direction Funnily enough my own daughters are products of exactly the same scenario but that's an aside

Fortunately my father came from Aberdeen and had no real interest in football nor religion for that matter although members of his side of the family were steeped in Freemasonary and my paternal grandparents bought a flat just opposite stairway 13 at Ibrokes when relocating to Glasgow in the late 1940s but in fairness no family pressure was ever put on me as to footballing allegience although I did attend a Catholic school indeed Seminaries for a few years after I had left primary

My earliest recollections of football were the results being read out on the telly at tea time

I also remember watching a game on telly and the commentator advising the programme audience that a certain player had been looking to find another certain player with a pass and me asking my dad how the commentator had known this? ??

Funny how certain things remain so prominent in the memory even after almost 60 years ? Probably proves that I was a Muppet even then

Anyway living in and going to school in Easterhouse in the early/mid 60s just as Celtic were beginning to emerge from decades of slumber and wilderness occupancy my interests were stoked by classroom and playground chatter and the mention of names such as Stein McNeill Johnstone Lennox McBride and Parkheid

Outside of school we'd all play together both Catholic and Protestant kids Celtic minded or HUNS and I cannot recollect any anomosity although I reckon something must have rubbed off on my psyche as even today I can only refer to THEM as HUNS or SEVCO

I recall some of the Proddy kids supporting Celtic but Catholic kids would never reciprocate and follow the HUNS

After almost 60 years of such entrenchment I have come to the conclusion probably not but if it does then who gives a fuck? ???

There would be a few things Friends The City itself After all I consider it to be my city The banter and friendliness of the people and I suppose that must include HUNS to an extent but obviously in non footballing or religious contexts BUT what I'd miss more than anything is going to Parkheid

I know that many of you travel great distances to come to Glasgow every other week or more regularly and you have my total admiration for your stamina commitment and resolve
Maybe it's Parochialism or lack of ambition on my part but Glasgow and Celtic are what I know What I've always known and I don't ever see that changing Not in this lifetime at least
I love to travel and have done extensively but there are few acres in Glesga's East End which has a grip on me and I just couldn't live without getting my regular fix of it

HH?
Referring back to another post on another thread regarding the Dundonian fascination with Glasgow and its landscape, I think it's that duality you refer to which creates part of the mystique.

The social circumstances of the Catholic population and the prods were barely distinguishable and outwith the football stadiums and places of worship, there were no real barriers to friendship.

I know that that is not strictly the case, as job opportunities and other advantages were afforded to the prods, but beyond that - I think it's the cultural mixing and the cultural division which created the humour and the personality of the city.

The other thing that marks Glasgow of the past, can be seen in the architecture and grandeur of some of the buildings and constructions when compared to the slum dwellings and restricted living spaces for the vast majority of its citizens.

Here was one of the capital cities of worldwide industry with extraordinary resources and wealth, yet scrape an inch or two beneath the surface and there was all this abject poverty and pain.

I don't think for one second that you're a bigot, Bill. The way that you talk about your family and grandson, suggests that religion or preference of football teams means absolutely nothing to you. Whatever you might internalise certainly doesn't impact on your loved ones and the true mark of decency is the acceptance of others, regardless of their background.

It has to be Henrik. He wasn't born into the Celtic family but he got it and got it in spades. I wept buckets seeing him cry at the interview after his final match. I fear we will never see the talent and skills he brought to the team, ever again. There weren't many players who could leave Paradise and move to Barcelona and Man U to end their careers.
He truly is The King Of Kings.

I would have married him. I will love that wee genius as long as I live. I have had many heroes but he is without doubt the King of Kings. He gave his all, fought, helped the team, scored more than Valentino and was responsible for some of the worst hangovers I’ve ever had.

Henrik Larsson covered every blade of grass and gave more from his position than anyone i’ve ever seen and then there’s the goal tally n golden boot. All round consummate professional and talent.

Would have loved to have been around to see the lions or the QSG.

Would also have liked to have seen our players of the early 1900’s through to 1930’s.

Now that would be awesome.

Seen a bit of that history on the Celtic tour, which i’m sure most of us have done more than once.

Definitely a tour not to be missed and i highly recommend it, its a great day out.

In the Lisbon Lions we virtually had more or less a full team of Larsson and every ons a West of Scotland Bhoy How things have changed over 50 odd years ?

I've never done the Celtic Tour I'll pop that in my diary and I'll take my eldest grandson when we embark on one of our regular adventures

He's fed up with the Kelvin Grove Art Gallery and Transport Museum

We were in the Kelvin Grove Art Gallery earlier this year and there was a DA Vinci exhibition downstairs

As we were walking through Rory said 'Oh look grandpa there' s the Mona Lisa' pointing at a picture of the Mona Lisa on a cushion

Totally gobsmacked and wondering how a 3 year old had such affinity and knowledge of Renaissance Art I enquired how he knew about the Mona Lisa?

He innocently said 'oh the Puppy Dog Pals had to go and look for it when somebody stole it from the LOO'

The Loo? ........ The Louvre???
Just goes to prove.... He's not as smart as I'd been prepared to give him credit for ???

HH?

Last edited:
I would have married him. I will love that wee genius as long as I live. I have had many heroes but he is without doubt the King of Kings. He gave his all, fought, helped the team, scored more than Valentino and was responsible for some of the worst hangovers I’ve ever had.
And there was me thinking we'd just signed another posing pop-star dud after his first two appearances!

It's not often I'm right, but I couldn't have been happier to be proved wrong.

Aye and he was a good looking Bhoy He reminded me of Cher but she could ae score a goal to save her life ?

I remember seeing this stunning blonde with a guy in a long coat and baseball cap 1 day in Buchanan St

As they passed I looked back (to check out the female) only to notice the bald spot on the guy's head at the left hand side just as they disappeared into Laura Ashley's

This would have been early 2004

That night I phoned up Snyde's Open Line with the exclusive 'Larsson is staying at Celtic He was spotted out curtain shopping with his wife so there's no way he'll be leaving after forking out on lovely new drapes'

Unfortunately it transpired that there wasn't a Laura Ashley store in Barcelona ???

HH?

Hmmm

HH?

It was a similar upbringing for me Bill. My Grandad on my fathers side was Irish Catholic, he came over to Scotland and married my Grandmother who was a Protestant, and she brought my father and the rest of her family up, as Protestants.....I think my Grandad must have influenced my Dad, he was a Hibee….I remember we got a new 'radiogram' in the house, and the only two LPs we had in the house were 'South Pacific' and 'Irish Rebel Songs' Those two albums must have been played 100's of times...then The Beatles arrived and more records were bought. At that age, at school, I was a Celtic fan, and must say, I got a hard time from the rest of the Protestants for supporting Celtic and not supporting them.....But, I sure got one over on them when we won the Big Cup....:)

Won't lie, was devastated when I saw on a newspaper board that King Kenny had gone.
Now I am lucky enough to play golf with him on the odd occasion and it is the most bizarre thing to be there with your boyhood hero. Great guy as well.
Honourable mentions to Henrik, Jinky, Lubo and Naka
And in bronze medal positions George Connelly, Bobby Murdoch and Paulo.
HH

It was a similar upbringing for me Bill. My Grandad on my fathers side was Irish Catholic, he came over to Scotland and married my Grandmother who was a Protestant, and she brought my father and the rest of her family up, as Protestants.....I think my Grandad must have influenced my Dad, he was a Hibee….I remember we got a new 'radiogram' in the house, and the only two LPs we had in the house were 'South Pacific' and 'Irish Rebel Songs' Those two albums must have been played 100's of times...then The Beatles arrived and more records were bought. At that age, at school, I was a Celtic fan, and must say, I got a hard time from the rest of the Protestants for supporting Celtic and not supporting them.....But, I sure got one over on them when we won the Big Cup....:)

I'm almost a mirror image.
HH

Won't lie, was devastated when I saw on a newspaper board that King Kenny had gone.
Now I am lucky enough to play golf with him on the odd occasion and it is the most bizarre thing to be there with your boyhood hero. Great guy as well.
Honourable mentions to Henrik, Jinky, Lubo and Naka
And in bronze medal positions George Connelly, Bobby Murdoch and Paulo.
HH
King Kenny was my boyhood hero. Tell him I say "hi" the next time you see him! ??

It has to be Henrik. He wasn't born into the Celtic family but he got it and got it in spades. I wept buckets seeing him cry at the interview after his final match. I fear we will never see the talent and skills he brought to the team, ever again. There weren't many players who could leave Paradise and move to Barcelona and Man U to end their careers.
He truly is The King Of Kings.
So your ruling oot Commper Shammy. How could you!

HH ?
Agree aboot Henrik but it’s Jinky for me no explanation needed.

Kids are so funny Bill, mines make me cry with laughter at times.

Wee Rory sounds a character.

Totally recommend the tour Bill. Its amazing. ??

Kids are so funny Bill, mines make me cry with laughter at times.

Wee Rory sounds a character.

Totally recommend the tour Bill. Its amazing. ??

Got to tread carefully His dad's a HUN
Rory started school last week so I'll be monitoring any HUN bias emerging as it's a non denominational school not a million moles away from Govan but the 1st hint of HUNNERY from him I'll be nipping it in the bud with a good erse kicking ???

HH?

Met Bertie a cpl ae times Mick & he always breaks intae a song????.."We dont care what the Animals say what the hell dae we care coz we only kno that theres gonny be a show & the GLASGOW CELTIC WILL BE THERE!!" HH☘☘☘☘
Probably the only wan he remembers ???
It was him that started singing it in the tunnel in Lisbon when they were lined up with Inter to take the field berofe they aw joined in

HH?

This is a hard question for me. I grew up as an 80's Kid. I seen the McStays, Burns, etc.. But for me, it has to be Henrik. He arrived out of nowhere and became a legend. He could have moved elsewhere in his prime, but stayed. He was part of the era that stopped the Deedco domination. A very humble, no nonsense person. It was good to see him winning the UCL with Barca, after his disappointment in Seville. I don't greet often, But HL leaving was one of those moments.

This is a hard question for me. I grew up as an 80's Kid. I seen the McStays, Burns, etc.. But for me, it has to be Henrik. He arrived out of nowhere and became a legend. He could have moved elsewhere in his prime, but stayed. He was part of the era that stopped the Deedco domination. A very humble, no nonsense person. It was good to see him winning the UCL with Barca, after his disappointment in Seville. I don't greet often, But HL leaving was one of those moments.

It was his contribution as a sub in the UCL final thatp got Celtic automatic qualufication to the group stages the following season

Alex Ferguson had been continually trying to entice him away to Old Trafford from Celtic but Dermott Desmond put a stop to that shite

He is said to have phoned Ferguson and said 'look we NEED him Back off'

The rest as they say is History

HH?

Last edited:
Back