Your idols growing up

My all time hero, in a large group of heroes was Henrik.

I remember when he scored against us for Barca, didn’t celebrate and yet you could hear some fucking bastards booing him. I hated every single one of those utter cunts with a passion. And I still do.

King of Kings.

Haveing already post on this forum before going to a little bit cheeky and add a player who just like in his playing days has been missed from our heros past and present,John Clarke if Billy was Cesar then John was his centurion always there to pluck up and pass the loose ball or fill in a position when a player had moved forward and to name a player alongside him it Would be Don Rogers of Swindon both great club men to this day

Haveing already post on this forum before going to a little bit cheeky and add a player who just like in his playing days has been missed from our heros past and present,John Clarke if Billy was Cesar then John was his centurion always there to pluck up and pass the loose ball or fill in a position when a player had moved forward and to name a player alongside him it Would be Don Rogers of Swindon both great club men to this day
The human broom, digger.........swept up all before him

Legend

Going to nip outside the football world and mention Tony Benn.

Same here. I was given a book of Tony Benn's writings when I was just out of high school, and he was very influential in my political development.

I am new to football in general, and Celtic in particular, and I am far removed from childhood, so most people say. However, since we're on a tangent about childhood heroes who did not play football, there are two Scots who were heroes of mine when I was a little motorhead: Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart.

I remember idolizing Clark after he won the Indianapolis 500 in 1965 and followed him in Formula 1 and 2 while he drove for Lotus. I was crushed when he died in Hockenheim in 1968. I had a picture of him on my wall -- I wish I still had it -- shot from above: He's going into a turn with his Lotus, and his mouth is open as if he is either singing or yawning. It could have been either, since he was such a master.

I skipped a season of Formula 1 and started following Jackie Stewart, who was driving for Tyrrell. Here's how great a driver Stewart was (or is): Long after his retirement, when Tyrrell had their six-wheel car, an American magazine (I think it was "Road and Track") had him "road test" it. In driving the new car after not driving competitively for several years, Stewart's lap times were about 1.5 seconds faster than the No. 1 Tyrrell driver at the time (who I think was Jody Scheckter).

stewartclark.jpg

Same here. I was given a book of Tony Benn's writings when I was just out of high school, and he was very influential in my political development.

I am new to football in general, and Celtic in particular, and I am far removed from childhood, so most people say. However, since we're on a tangent about childhood heroes who did not play football, there are two Scots who were heroes of mine when I was a little motorhead: Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart.

I remember idolizing Clark after he won the Indianapolis 500 in 1965 and followed him in Formula 1 and 2 while he drove for Lotus. I was crushed when he died in Hockenheim in 1968. I had a picture of him on my wall -- I wish I still had it -- shot from above: He's going into a turn with his Lotus, and his mouth is open as if he is either singing or yawning. It could have been either, since he was such a master.

I skipped a season of Formula 1 and started following Jackie Stewart, who was driving for Tyrrell. Here's how great a driver Stewart was (or is): Long after his retirement, when Tyrrell had their six-wheel car, an American magazine (I think it was "Road and Track") had him "road test" it. In driving the new car after not driving competitively for several years, Stewart's lap times were about 1.5 seconds faster than the No. 1 Tyrrell driver at the time (who I think was Jody Scheckter).

View attachment 3053
Two great Scots indeed Larry.

I skipped a season of Formula 1 and started following Jackie Stewart, who was driving for Tyrrell. Here's how great a driver Stewart was (or is): Long after his retirement, when Tyrrell had their six-wheel car, an American magazine (I think it was "Road and Track") had him "road test" it. In driving the new car after not driving competitively for several years, the article showed his lap times: He lapped the course about 1.5 seconds faster than the No. 1 Tyrrell driver at the time (who I think was Jody Scheckter).

View attachment 3053
Jackie Stewart was also a huge advocate for driver safety. That came as a direct consequence of Jim Clark's tragic death, but also because of his own serious accident.

Dario Franchitti's a Tim, Larry.........think someone might have mentioned it before.

The Scottish drivers learned their trade at Knockhill in Fife (not too far from your ancestral home, Larry) and every other track would be like driving in a straight line compared to that cow-trail

Jackie Stewart was also a huge advocate for driver safety. That came as a direct consequence of Jim Clark's tragic death, but also because of his own serious accident.

Dario Franchitti's a Tim, Larry.........think someone might have mentioned it before.

The Scottish drivers learned their trade at Knockhill in Fife (not too far from your ancestral home, Larry) and every other track would be like driving in a straight line compared to that cow-trail

imagine what it was like going from knockhill to his own domestic car before the big bucks rolled in.

stewart.jpg

I thought uri Gagarin was the bravest man ever for going to a place beyond with no gaurantees, and my number two was Neil Armstrong and his crew, takes some bottle to do what they do.

Gagarin was a hero even to some in the U.S., surprisingly, since we were locked in mortal competition against the U.S.S.R. in the space race. Also, as you know, the 50th anniversary of the moon landing will take place next month, and there are a couple of movies out (or coming out) about Neil Armstrong. I remember reading an article while I was getting my car repaired about 10 years ago (had to be because it was around the 40th anniversary) which outlined the whole mission, from launch to touchdown, and one of the things that struck me was that Armstrong took a lot longer to land the Lunar Module than the folks at Mission Control would have liked, and they were worried about if they had enough fuel to get the LM back to the orbiting Command Module. Of course, it turned out fine.

Latest posts

Back