Your love for Celtic.

My mum and Dads families were all big Celtic supporters but I would say my mums uncle who took me to a lot of matches when I was a kid and my Dad's mum who was Celtic daft as we say she was widowed in ww2 never remarried so all she done was follow Celtic everywhere, singing the songs to us all the time a kind of brainwashing if you like lol. But there's so many I could mention I couldn't possibly fit it all in it's a love that never leaves you and then you pass it down the line. HH

My mum and Dads families were all big Celtic supporters but I would say my mums uncle who took me to a lot of matches when I was a kid and my Dad's mum who was Celtic daft as we say she was widowed in ww2 never remarried so all she done was follow Celtic everywhere, singing the songs to us all the time a kind of brainwashing if you like lol. But there's so many I could mention I couldn't possibly fit it all in it's a love that never leaves you and then you pass it down the line. HH
Without a doubts. Born Celtic die Celtic.

Where did it come from?.
Me...I had 6 brothers but the oldest made us all Celtic mad.

I lived in Easterhouse in Glasgow's East End from the early 1960s until 1974 a period of time that encompasses Celtic's 9 in a Row Their winning the European Cup in 1967 when I was aged 8 They reached the same final 3 years later which they went on to lose and I can STILL remember the hurt that I felt as an 11 year old when my expectancy was so badly crushed Felt like wakening on Christmas morning and finding no presents

As well as winning Scottish Cups League Cups Glasgow Cups and quoi d'autres they were blatantly cheated out of becoming World Champions in late 1967 in Argentina and Uruguay

Celtic were my local team and so successful why as a kid would I even consider following another Club?

I was taken to my first Celtic match by my paternal grandfather in February 1967 a Scottish Cup tie against Elgin City which Celtic won 7-0 I was 8 years old and I still remember getting off the bus with my granda and him buying me a match programme featuring a picture of John Hughes on the cover It was only then that I realised where we were heading
Fair play to my old granda He was from Aberdeen but when he moved to Glasgow with my gran and my dad in 1948 the resided in a flat right at Stairway 13 at Ibrox I'm almost certain that his favoured team would have been Rangers but he never discussed this with me and there was never any criticism of my loving Celtic

From our position in the Stand there was only 1 stand at that time I recall the excitement I endured and my protestations when my granda said we had to go with 20 minutes remaining He was cripple and didn't like walking in crowds To this day I NEVER leave before the final whistle

In April 1967 my maternal grandfather and dad took me to the. Scottish Cup Final when Celtic beat Aberdeen. 2-0 My dad was from Aberdeen and never a great football follower but my maternal grandfather was Celtic daft

Back in the 60s we would play football in the fields of Easterhouse and if Celtic were playing at Parkhead on a Wednesday night it was ALWAYS a Wednesday night 7.30 kick off back then we would hear the distant roars from a couple of miles away when Celtic scored
An anomaly to Wednesday nights at 7.30 our triumph in Lisbon was a Thursday evening with a 5.30 kick off ?

Anyway this is the beginnings of my lifelong love affair with Celtic I am so lucky to have witnessed as a wee bhoy the greatest and most successful period for our Club and seen first hand the skills of Wee Jinky Bobby Lennox Joe McBride Bertie Auld Bobby Murdoch and the. defensive qualities of Billy McNeill followed by the breakthrough of the Quality Street Gang and the likes of Dalglish McGrain Macari Hay Connolly Murray Dean's Brogan then.later the likes of Nicholas McStay Burns followed by Larsson Moravcik Lambert et al and of course our greatest ever manager Jock Stein

So in response to the question 'where did it all come from'? in my case it's a combination of Luck Fate Being born at the right time Living in Glasgow's East End and going to school with lads who supported Celtic to a man or bhoy and of course a family who mostly did not follow Celtic but didn't try to stop a wee lad from doing what he loved more than anything else Supporting Celtic

HH?

Both my parents are Celtic daft and i idolised my dad when i was younger as most ghirls do hero worship their Dad.

There was just no other team for me.

My Dad got me interested in Irish history and how my family came from Galway and why we ended up in Scotland.

That left me with a deep love of my Irish heritage and thats a strong potent powerful thing when coupled with the knowledge of sheer injustice and adversities overcome by my forefathers n mothers

Then marry that with the history of Celtic which is a beautiful thing on its own, the idea of its birth and what it set out to do.

Celtic would not only have been steeped in charitable roots but it also allowed a sense of purpose, coming together and acceptance for so many displaced Irish.

Our history of our club is both beautiful and romantic.

My Dad always had the replays of the lisbon lions on and this is another feat in overcoming all obstacles because adversity is something WE overcome.

Having the pleasure of watching the king of kings week in week out in my timeline too.

Seriously... it could be no other for there is no other team like it for me.

I love Celtic with a passion

HH ☘️

Wit a women bertie ??

I lived in Easterhouse in Glasgow's East End from the early 1960s until 1974 a period of time that encompasses Celtic's 9 in a Row Their winning the European Cup in 1967 when I was aged 8 They reached the same final 3 years later which they went on to lose and I can STILL remember the hurt that I felt as an 11 year old when my expectancy was so badly crushed Felt like wakening on Christmas morning and finding no presents

As well as winning Scottish Cups League Cups Glasgow Cups and quoi d'autres they were blatantly cheated out of becoming World Champions in late 1967 in Argentina and Uruguay

Celtic were my local team and so successful why as a kid would I even consider following another Club?

I was taken to my first Celtic match by my paternal grandfather in February 1967 a Scottish Cup tie against Elgin City which Celtic won 7-0 I was 8 years old and I still remember getting off the bus with my granda and him buying me a match programme featuring a picture of John Hughes on the cover It was only then that I realised where we were heading
Fair play to my old granda He was from Aberdeen but when he moved to Glasgow with my gran and my dad in 1948 the resided in a flat right at Stairway 13 at Ibrox I'm almost certain that his favoured team would have been Rangers but he never discussed this with me and there was never any criticism of my loving Celtic

From our position in the Stand there was only 1 stand at that time I recall the excitement I endured and my protestations when my granda said we had to go with 20 minutes remaining He was cripple and didn't like walking in crowds To this day I NEVER leave before the final whistle

In April 1967 my maternal grandfather and dad took me to the. Scottish Cup Final when Celtic beat Aberdeen. 2-0 My dad was from Aberdeen and never a great football follower but my maternal grandfather was Celtic daft

Back in the 60s we would play football in the fields of Easterhouse and if Celtic were playing at Parkhead on a Wednesday night it was ALWAYS a Wednesday night 7.30 kick off back then we would hear the distant roars from a couple of miles away when Celtic scored
An anomaly to Wednesday nights at 7.30 our triumph in Lisbon was a Thursday evening with a 5.30 kick off ?

Anyway this is the beginnings of my lifelong love affair with Celtic I am so lucky to have witnessed as a wee bhoy the greatest and most successful period for our Club and seen first hand the skills of Wee Jinky Bobby Lennox Joe McBride Bertie Auld Bobby Murdoch and the. defensive qualities of Billy McNeill followed by the breakthrough of the Quality Street Gang and the likes of Dalglish McGrain Macari Hay Connolly Murray Dean's Brogan then.later the likes of Nicholas McStay Burns followed by Larsson Moravcik Lambert et al and of course our greatest ever manager Jock Stein

So in response to the question 'where did it all come from'? in my case it's a combination of Luck Fate Being born at the right time Living in Glasgow's East End and going to school with lads who supported Celtic to a man or bhoy and of course a family who mostly did not follow Celtic but didn't try to stop a wee lad from doing what he loved more than anything else Supporting Celtic

HH?

Your granda sounds like a gentleman, Bill. HH ☘️

Watched Celtic since 1968. It would be easy to say the 1967 season was the reason but my dad was a lifelong supporter and it was bred into me from a young age. Was just the start of a lifelong love affair that has now fantastically been rewarded with two sons who live and breathe Celtic. The affair continues and there are many stories where Celtic took priority in my life, much to my wife and daughter's slight annoyance.
I know we have bumps in the road supporting them but the highs much out weigh the lows, we should remember that.
My best friend, now passed, went all over Scotland and Europe watching the team, met many great people and had many stories, maybe there is a book there???
Anyway however you got into Celtic, love the good and the bad they will complete you
Hail Hail

Watched Celtic since 1968. It would be easy to say the 1967 season was the reason but my dad was a lifelong supporter and it was bred into me from a young age. Was just the start of a lifelong love affair that has now fantastically been rewarded with two sons who live and breathe Celtic. The affair continues and there are many stories where Celtic took priority in my life, much to my wife and daughter's slight annoyance.
I know we have bumps in the road supporting them but the highs much out weigh the lows, we should remember that.
My best friend, now passed, went all over Scotland and Europe watching the team, met many great people and had many stories, maybe there is a book there???
Anyway however you got into Celtic, love the good and the bad they will complete you
Hail Hail

Hail Hail
So good I posted twice ?

There was only one team to support in my household like most of my mates in the Calton.Still got my first Celtic top from 1988 when i was 3 years old.Remember crying my eyes out many a time in the 90s when the huns would beat us even though at times we played them off the park.How times have changed!?☘

Catholic parents born in the Gorbals , so supporting Celtic was like breathing air . I and my brothers and sisters were born in Parkhead - a short walk took us to Celtic Park - so naturally , between our parents background and our proximity to Paradise - who else would we support ? Caught the 'bug' early !
Grew up watching a not very good team in the late 50's and early 60's ; my first trophy win was seeing them beat Clyde ( I think ) in the Glasgow cup at Celtic Park in front of a small crowd .

Both my parents are Celtic daft and i idolised my dad when i was younger as most ghirls do hero worship their Dad.

There was just no other team for me.

My Dad got me interested in Irish history and how my family came from Galway and why we ended up in Scotland.

That left me with a deep love of my Irish heritage and thats a strong potent powerful thing when coupled with the knowledge of sheer injustice and adversities overcome by my forefathers n mothers

Then marry that with the history of Celtic which is a beautiful thing on its own, the idea of its birth and what it set out to do.

Celtic would not only have been steeped in charitable roots but it also allowed a sense of purpose, coming together and acceptance for so many displaced Irish.

Our history of our club is both beautiful and romantic.

My Dad always had the replays of the lisbon lions on and this is another feat in overcoming all obstacles because adversity is something WE overcome.

Having the pleasure of watching the king of kings week in week out in my timeline too.

Seriously... it could be no other for there is no other team like it for me.

I love Celtic with a passion

HH ☘️
Very well put Maria strong connections to the club throughout your life HH

My wee ma was a lover of Celtic and all things Irish. I got all the history all the stories all the insanity. She would tell me whenever they had an event at the Chapel at the end they would all stand for The Soldier Song.

She was aff her nut. :)

All my family are similarly affected.

My love for Celtic is something I've had all my life as it was as much a part of my life as religion, education and family. My old man wore the hoops of Sligo Celtic and was involved in football even when he stopped playing and I was always with him (daddy's girl). My grandmother was the one who always played the rebel songs and rarely a weekend went by that she wasn't blasting out 40 Shades of Green or Live at the Ashfield with Glen Daly. Celtic isn't just a football club, it's a way of life.

My ma was a gorbals lass and married an Ayrshireman. Went to Glasgow most Saturdays and my da would take me to a game. Firhill, shawfield or Celtic park. Never ipox as he couldn't stand his masonic brother in law who was always trying to get him to join the luj and bring the boy tae see the gers. This being the sixties and my da being a lover of proper fitba, Celtic park was first choice. Saw all the lions so thanks dad you had great taste!

This is the Gods Honest Truth for me. I'd always liked Celtic cos of my Mum and cos we won quite a lot. But here are my first 3 matches attended:-
Celtic v Dumbarton in 1972, we won 2-1, Harry Hood andxa Pat McCauley pen.
Partick Thistle (My Dad's and my local team) v Newcastle United in Bobby Moncur's testimonial. 0-0
Rangers v St Johnstone with my bate n his Dad, diehard Rangers fans.5-1.
Now, I was ALWAYS gonnae support Celtic. We had Jinky, Big Billy, the King, Bobby Murdoch (My hero) n the rest. WE played with flair. But I went 2 those other 2 games n I remember it this way: Jags drew 0-0 and everyone had a great time. Huns won 5-1, 3 nil at half time and I will NEVER forget the hate at that ground as I moved from behind one goal to the other as you could do in those days. I knew then, as a 10 yr old kid that I was blessed to be a Celtic supporter, with a regard for the Bags that lasts til this day. The other team in this narrative: they're dead. Thankfully.
But I DO love their Tribute Act.

Geneology.....pure and simple!

For all the gifts, love and encouragement I received from my family, it is Celtic that has remained the permanent reminder of their faith and their love.

Celtic has provided me with the full range of human emotions: agony/ecstacy, pleasure/pain, sorrow/joy, celebration/grief.

When The Manager died in '85, we mourned the loss of a beloved elder. When Jinky passed, we mourned the loss of a favoured cheeky uncle. When TB lost his brave fight, we mourned the loss of a nurturing older brother.

Celtic - and all who embrace her - are family. The friends we make on long journeys. The stranger we nod to in the street. The unknown brother or sister we hug in celebration.

Like all families - we don't always agree. We don't always get along. We don't always see eye-to-eye, but when I think of Celtic - I think of my family.

For this gift to me - I will be eternally grateful

Members online

Latest posts

Back