40 years have passed

JamSam67

The Miners Strike 40 years on
To all my comrades who have passed thank you for the support you gave to the people in your Communities and to the brothers you work and fought with.
To the Fantastic Women who were behind ind us throughout the Year where we were fed and Tea’d and coffee’d although we lost the strike you were the greatest part of the whole year and beyond where you continued to fight for the Real Heroes the men who lost there jobs.
To you the Sacked Miners the day I went back to work behind the Brass band was the hardest saddest day of my then young life I wept knowing you weren’t coming back to work. But thanks to your union and the women’s support we got most of you back to work.
I’d also thank the support from the unlikely places LGBT community and the working people of Britain
And to all the support from all over the world
Most especially to our Comrades from the South African mining community who gave what they had Thanks
Finally they’re both sadly not here to Bob and Mary ( red Meg) my fantastic Mum and Dad
Who raised me to think that there’s things more important than self miss and love you all.
Coal not Dole
The Miners united will never be defeated
NUM till I die

HH 💚

I was at both Orgreave and Ravenscraig
We walked into Orgreave with the police all friendly the media said we started the fight we didn’t they had more police than I’ve ever seen rumours that they were soldiers.
But when they came we ran they were taking no prisoners they hit everybody in front of them we ran to a fence wasn’t that high about 7/8 ft I climbed to jump the other side ffs it wiz a railway embankment I was lucky I fell down the slope rolled got up and ran I looked back a wee man was getting the shit booted out of him with the press looking on
We shouted your a disgrace
At Ravenscraig there were soldiers a few of our camp saw there kids in popo uniforms
We even met The shop stewards who came out to tell us they would cross our lines but would give us a donation they ran like fuck when we said no no idea why
There were funny bits too
A policewummen on horseback the horse was white with sweat one of our mob said yir hoarse is sweating hen she replied so wid you if ma legs were wrapped aroonyi
The great weather we had which worked against the strike was also the main reason so many took the redundancy packages
That year on the surface gave so many the outlook of life up top
I was lucky was on the first bus down to England to picket and the last bus back when the strike was called off
For me it was a great time I saw guys I respected fight with the police some for the third time 72/74/84 strikes.
I’ve never really regained my respect for the Police
I have said this already but here we go
I was dancing a wee jig of joy at my work when a lady asked my colleagues what is he doing
They told here he’s dancing a jig of joy now that Thatchers dead she said that’s awful
To which they said he’s a Miner she said well that makes sense
There were working men’s clubs all over Britain opening bottles to celebrate that one

HH🎉

We went on strike for 4 months in 85-86, the bastards brought in scabs, and goons from local gyms, some with martial arts to protect them, we fought for our jobs, and them from the first day, as the snow fell, and the authorities took away our fire barrels, only for it to steel our resolve, the RCMP for the most part, were bastards to us, so they became just as hated as the scabs, some of us had 'interactions with all the fuckers and were 'spoken to' by the authorities, but we won in the end, although we have moved on, we all remember how the company fucked us, and while we never felt the same about the company, it galvanized us as Union members, so fuck Thatcher, and any and all who scab and steal jobs from ordinary working people, as Jack London said:
Jack London 1876-1916

Ode To A Scab
After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, He had some awful substance left with which He made a scab. A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a waterlogged brain, and a combination backbone made of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles.
When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out. No man has a right to scab as long as there is a pool of water deep enough to drown his body in, or a rope long enough to hang his carcass with. Judas Iscariot was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his Master, he had character enough to hang himself. A scab hasn't.
Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas Iscariot sold his savior for thirty pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commission in the British Army. The modern strikebreaker sells his birthright, his country, his wife, his children, and his fellow men for an unfulfilled promise from his employer, trust, or corporation
Solidarity wins

I was at both Orgreave and Ravenscraig
We walked into Orgreave with the police all friendly the media said we started the fight we didn’t they had more police than I’ve ever seen rumours that they were soldiers.
But when they came we ran they were taking no prisoners they hit everybody in front of them we ran to a fence wasn’t that high about 7/8 ft I climbed to jump the other side ffs it wiz a railway embankment I was lucky I fell down the slope rolled got up and ran I looked back a wee man was getting the shit booted out of him with the press looking on
We shouted your a disgrace
At Ravenscraig there were soldiers a few of our camp saw there kids in popo uniforms
We even met The shop stewards who came out to tell us they would cross our lines but would give us a donation they ran like fuck when we said no no idea why
There were funny bits too
A policewummen on horseback the horse was white with sweat one of our mob said yir hoarse is sweating hen she replied so wid you if ma legs were wrapped aroonyi
The great weather we had which worked against the strike was also the main reason so many took the redundancy packages
That year on the surface gave so many the outlook of life up top
I was lucky was on the first bus down to England to picket and the last bus back when the strike was called off
For me it was a great time I saw guys I respected fight with the police some for the third time 72/74/84 strikes.
I’ve never really regained my respect for the Police
I have said this already but here we go
I was dancing a wee jig of joy at my work when a lady asked my colleagues what is he doing
They told here he’s dancing a jig of joy now that Thatchers dead she said that’s awful
To which they said he’s a Miner she said well that makes sense
There were working men’s clubs all over Britain opening bottles to celebrate that one

HH🎉
With you there Jammy, I decked one guy who thought it would be a good idea to hit women who were picketing, a car drew up, it was a couple of guys who had a radio that could monitor the scabs getting names etc, for future reference, they had heard a call go out on a scanner to arrest someone who had allegedly assaulted someone...no names, no pack drill, apparently they threatened me with arrest if I showed up on the line again...I told them "tell them to fuck off, we're fighting for our livelihood out here..." SOLIDARITY

Todays the anniversary of the Miners strike
We walked oor heads held high ready for the battle ahead.
We had a Ballot the previous year that if the Coal Board were to close Collieries on economic grounds we would walk out
The ballot was by a vast majority even in Nottingham.
The weather was ridiculously warm not in our favour.
The Forces of the law primed against us Thatch prepared to spend Billions.
The guys I spent that fantastic year with nothing no money Soup kitchens local food shops gave us a huge amount of goods bakery gave us so much
We had guys delivering wood which was cut locally with permission
We fed the elderly in and around East Lothian who weren’t even miners
But needed help we gave them it. We received food parcels from The USSR
Ffs trying to work out what was in the cans
The chocolate was nice.
The people who gave gave freely and I can tell you we were so grateful.
Even now I still can’t believe what we received
From the locals of the Pans and it was the same for almost all the communities around the country.
We lost the Strike returned to work and the managers decided to treat us badly by fuck did they get that wrong within 6 weeks we had our Union offices back up and running
With TT (The Thug)Clarke the Manager raging that we weren’t allowed to. His face when told that these offices were the property of the NUM and he didn’t know.
Within months even the scabs were begging to be members again.
One morning we turned into Loanhead to go to Bilston Glen and the nurses were on the gates.
I ran down the bus and told the driver to stop and let me off as I wasn’t crossing a picket line he said he wasn’t allowed to stop.
I calmly told him stop or your going through the fucking window.
And maybe the nurses would tend to him he stopped all got off even the scabs shamed buy the Nurses but cheered for once into doing the right thing.
I was reported by the bus company but no one backed the prick up.
We complained about this company so much that the Coal board dumped them
I met the driver later we had a wee chat.
Mmm sometimes karma works what’s a sore hand.
Also the Knighthood given To David Hamilton
Who basically ran the East Lothian striking miners. This man was held in prison with no charge for a ridiculous amount of time
And told Blair to fuck off when he refused to put other people in prison without charge
His Knighthood was for the men who were sacked and him and us fought to get there Jobs back.
Loved the strike loved the Men I went on strike with and loved the Women of the Strike
They were incredible.
Miss ma Comrades no longer here they were my greatest Friends.
And to my dwindling band of Brothers still with us the Bond of 84/85 still burns deeper than ever.
Mon the Miners
Coal not Dole.
Thanks for listening to my ramblings thi Noise

HH👏👏👏

Members online

Latest posts

Back