'67 in the heat of Lisbon: 53 years ago

lcafiero

Zurich fell in Switzerland, they fell in Glasgow, too.
Then the French went down 3-1 each time, and bid the Cup adieu.
The Slavs won at home but went down 2-1, and the Czechs were sent their way,
And Celtic were bound for Lisbon town on the 25th of May.

Twelve thousand loyal Celtic fans, in bus and train and car,
Traveled eighteen hundred miles to see the greatest team by far.
They came to cheer on the bhoys in green, and help them win the day,
and beat Inter Milan in Lisbon Town on the 25th of May.

The game was only eight minutes gone when Inter Milan did score.
If they tried from then too hard my bhoys, they couldn't have scored one more.
And when halftime came with the score the same, the Celts did not dismay.
They would win the Cup in Lisbon Town on the 25th of May.

A goal must come and come it did, and Gemmell was our man.
Then Chalmers scored and the Celtic roar was heard by gay Milan.
There's been battles won by our Celtic sons, but they showed the world the way,
When they beat Milan in Lisbon town on the 25th of May.

So here's to Simpson, Clark and Craig, to Johnstone and McNeill,
To Chalmers, Wallace and Lennox, Auld, for they refused to yield.
And here's to Murdoch and Gemmell too, and Stein who showed the way,
To the greatest team who showed the world on the 25th of May.

On the 25th of May.

Happy 1967 European Cup Day to all.

No one who watched the game at the match or at home will ever forget Big Tams goal,it was amazing, it turned the game from then it was all Celtic with Milan trying every trick in the book to stop them,when Steve C scored it was all over and to see Big Billy stand tall and proud with the Cup beleave me tears flowed with pride and joy

Celtic did yesterday what every great team in Britain in the past 10 years has tried to do and failed.
And praise was pouring in last night for Celtic from every part of Britain...from Manchester where United boss Matt Busby, three times in the European Cup semi-final said,
"First of all, congratulations to Celtic, to Jock Stein, to everyone concerned with the club, THIS IS A TREMENDOUS ACHIEVEMENT. I know how difficult it is to get to the final of this tournament because three times I have been in the semi-final and failed. And yet,what makes the Celtic success even more outstanding is that this is THE FIRST TIME they have taken part in the premier European competition. They have been in ECWC twice, reaching the semi-final each time, and they have played in the Fairs Cup. But this was the first appearance in the tournament Jock Stein calls the THE BIG ONE".
The other managers who have reached the semi-finals paid tribute to Stein and his team last night, HUGH SHAW, who took Hibs to the semi-finals in 1956 said; " I am delighted with Celtics success, they played splendidly and I think that now they are through to the final they can win the European Cup"
SCOT SYMON, of Rangers, semi-finalists in 1960 said "This was a marvellous result both for Celtic and Scottish football. It was a tremendous performance".
BOB SHANKLY, of Hibs, who took Dundee to the semi-finals in 1963 said:
"This is a magnificent result for Celtic. In my opinion they can now go on and win it no matter who they meet in the final."
Liverpool manager BILL SHANKLY whose team were in the semi-final in 1965, sent Jock Stein a telegram before the game. And last night he said: "This is tremendous for Celtic and for all of Scotland. I hope Celtic get Inter in the final and beat them in Lisbon. If Rangers get the CWC too, and you remember Scotland at Wembeley, ITS GOING TO BE A GRAND SCOTTISH TREBLE."
Spurs boss Bill Nicholson said:" It's a good result for Celtic and I wish them all the best".
Glasgows Lord Provost John Johnston added: " I am delighted with the result and we shall consider giving the team some form of civic recognition, no matter the result in Lisbon"

Members online

Latest posts

Back