Back then we yaised catalogues tae buy things
Nae internet shopping in they days
We jined the “club” and payed every week
Tae the likes o’ Littlewoods, Freemans and Kays
A kid easily gan on forever
Aboot the things that we hid in the past
They days life seemed tae be much simpler
But sadly maist things never last

And anither wan....am sure JamSam will like this wan....

Proud Tae Hae Been A Miner

Am proud tae hiv been a miner
Am proud tae hiv worked doon the mine
Am proud tae hiv lots o’ ex miner’s fur freends
Am proud tae hiv been wan o’ their kind

There wis loyalty, trust and true friendship
In mining villages aw ower the land
Be it in guid times or in times o’ hardship and grief
There wis aye someone to lend a helping hand

Fae the dreadful draconian years long ago
When women and young bairns toiled underground
Tae the bloody and desperate times o’ the strikes
The mining communities spirit wis renowned

There wis years o’ suffering and poverty
So many wir killed or maimed
Noo sadly the pits are no longer there
But maist o’ the mining villages remain

But where wance there wis thriving communities
And the throbbing heart o’ the toon wis the pit
The villages are not the same ony mair
The spark that wis there goes unlit

So let us remember the days o’ King Coal
And the great camaraderie that prevailed
Fur miners wir blessed tae be wan o’ a kind
Their memory must never be veiled

Am proud tae hae been a miner
Am proud tae hae worked doon the mine
Am proud tae hae lots o’ ex miner’s fur freends
Am proud tae hae been wan o’ their kind

Brilliant lennono brings back a lot of memories especially the cream on the top of the milk.and the no central heating. Our house when I was a kid had one coal fire in the living room.we use to pile heavy coats on top of the blankets on cold winters nights and when you got up in the morning the inside of the windows would be all iced up.thier was 12 kids in our house plus my ma and da in a three bedroom house in andersonstown west belfast some great times in that house though.

Brilliant lennono brings back a lot of memories especially the cream on the top of the milk.and the no central heating. Our house when I was a kid had one coal fire in the living room.we use to pile heavy coats on top of the blankets on cold winters nights and when you got up in the morning the inside of the windows would be all iced up.thier was 12 kids in our house plus my ma and da in a three bedroom house in andersonstown west belfast some great times in that house though.
Thats alot of kids Jinky ...people think im taking the piss when i tell them ma granny had 17 ...

Af got two brithers, and the three of us shared a double bed....We had a coal fire in the bedroom. It was a wee hoose, miners row.....2 bedrooms.....My Mum and dad slept in the other room....When my Mum's dad was unable to stay on his own, he also moved in, so we put a single bed in the livingroom for him....When I think back.....but we managed....We never had a bath or shower in the hoose, so it was up to the pit, for a shower on a Sunday night for school the next day.....Used to go up to the pit canteen fur a shillings worth of chips, that done the whole family wi spam and beans....and on a Friday when ma Dad got his pay...we got a treat, ma Dad worked at the pit.....£20 pay per week.....The community spirit was great though....we all looked efter each ither.....

Af got two brithers, and the three of us shared a double bed....We had a coal fire in the bedroom. It was a wee hoose, miners row.....2 bedrooms.....My Mum and dad slept in the other room....When my Mum's dad was unable to stay on his own, he also moved in, so we put a single bed in the livingroom for him....When I think back.....but we managed....We never had a bath or shower in the hoose, so it was up to the pit, for a shower on a Sunday night for school the next day.....Used to go up to the pit canteen fur a shillings worth of chips, that done the whole family wi spam and beans....and on a Friday when ma Dad got his pay...we got a treat, ma Dad worked at the pit.....£20 pay per week.....The community spirit was great though....we all looked efter each ither.....
Bet you had plenty of laughs Lennono ,look at the weans these days ,playstation zombies ...glad my sons no really took to game consoles yet ,hes into his football,goes to tennis lessons and i drag him up the hills with me 🤣

our outside shunkie was at the bottom of the garden we also had the old tin bomb shelter which being nearer the house was used especially in the winter ,weans will be weans growing up we had fk all but we were all close and everyone was the exact same as lennono says the community spirit was the bond helped keep everyone going my grandfather and all his brothers were miners all looked out for each other and there kin
were some great laughs in they days

Theres an old single end in the peoples palace ,mind taking the wee fella and telling him a full family lived in the one room...dont think he believed me
Remember taking my 2 oldest bhoys to the PP one day to see that, it looked just like the one I was brought up in in the early sixties on Caledonian Rd in the Gorbals, my kids thought I was at it and thought it was a depiction from the previous century ie victorian times, I had to get one of the staff to confirm my version was true, but I still think they dont believe that the toilet was out the front door and on the half landing.

And anither wan....am sure JamSam will like this wan....

Proud Tae Hae Been A Miner

Am proud tae hiv been a miner
Am proud tae hiv worked doon the mine
Am proud tae hiv lots o’ ex miner’s fur freends
Am proud tae hiv been wan o’ their kind

There wis loyalty, trust and true friendship
In mining villages aw ower the land
Be it in guid times or in times o’ hardship and grief
There wis aye someone to lend a helping hand

Fae the dreadful draconian years long ago
When women and young bairns toiled underground
Tae the bloody and desperate times o’ the strikes
The mining communities spirit wis renowned

There wis years o’ suffering and poverty
So many wir killed or maimed
Noo sadly the pits are no longer there
But maist o’ the mining villages remain

But where wance there wis thriving communities
And the throbbing heart o’ the toon wis the pit
The villages are not the same ony mair
The spark that wis there goes unlit

So let us remember the days o’ King Coal
And the great camaraderie that prevailed
Fur miners wir blessed tae be wan o’ a kind
Their memory must never be veiled

Am proud tae hae been a miner
Am proud tae hae worked doon the mine
Am proud tae hae lots o’ ex miner’s fur freends
Am proud tae hae been wan o’ their kind
Thanks for that Lennono true words we all watched each other’s backs and washed each other’s backs. Great place to work
Met some of the finest men and some of the maddest bastards you could ever wish to stand toe to toe with.
The mining communities in the Uk looked after each other helped there own and to a man gave to mining communities all over the world we sent what’s now called PPE
To our South African mining Families. They had nothing. We even sent to Chile , Russia
And to the Southern USA to the Poor White and Black miners who were treated like slaves. And they returned that kindness to us during the Strike.
Even now I get the fear when I hear of My Brothers being killed or trapped underground.
But till the day I pass I like ma Grunda and ma da will Always be A MINER.
Coal Not Dole
Cheers Lennono

HH 👏

our outside shunkie was at the bottom of the garden we also had the old tin bomb shelter which being nearer the house was used especially in the winter ,weans will be weans growing up we had fk all but we were all close and everyone was the exact same as lennono says the community spirit was the bond helped keep everyone going my grandfather and all his brothers were miners all looked out for each other and there kin
were some great laughs in they days
That’s ma family too Kelly never had much but we had clothes and Food on the table
And by fuck we had fun. Wouldn’t change anything because no money or wealth
Would make what I’ve got now better than it is.
HH Kelly

HH 👏

I lived with my seven brothers and seven sisters in a room and kitchen in Govan. Left Govan to live in a 5 apartment house with hot water in 1959. Skint but deliriously happy.
I was brought up in a room and kitchen with my 2 brothers, outside cludgie on the half landing shared with 2 other families, coal fire but no hot water so had to go to the swimming baths and get a hot bath there while my ma was in the steamie. Housing conditions weren't great but as far as I was concerned growing up everyone was in the same boat.

I was brought up in a room and kitchen with my 2 brothers, outside cludgie on the half landing shared with 2 other families, coal fire but no hot water so had to go to the swimming baths and get a hot bath there while my ma was in the steamie. Housing conditions weren't great but as far as I was concerned growing up everyone was in the same boat.
Aye, hot water was scarce growing up, I would go to Parkhead baths plenty of biling water, two hauf bottles of fine wine(?) and sing my heart out, perfect.

Aye, weans these days don't realise how lucky they are, it was books, music & instruments Bagpipes, Guitar & the great outdoors.

1st money earning venture catching mackerel by the hundred & selling them tae a bloke for 25p a fish, ma wee pal & I made a fortune every summer, about £25 a week when I was about 13 I started working in ma Grandas coal yard loading bags & putting them up on the lorry, a Saturday ½ day & all day Sunday fur £15, should have stuck tae the fishing.

TV had 3 channels, the signal was supplied by Rediffusion & telly was also rented of them.

Aye, young granddaughter doesn't know how we managed with out technology 😂😂

Back