Anton Ralston

Ralston ...Good lad was mince on loan else where and will eventually be the the same going forward ..has had a reprieve and responded as there was no one else to do so...let's get it right if a half decent right back was in place there would be no sight of Ralston. He is doing us proud but unfortunately it ain't enough

Ralston ...Good lad was mince on loan else where and will eventually be the the same going forward ..has had a reprieve and responded as there was no one else to do so...let's get it right if a half decent right back was in place there would be no sight of Ralston. He is doing us proud but unfortunately it ain't enough
Look at what we want from a full back nowadays, mag 7.
Needs to have the aireal power of a CH for the deep crosses.
Speed and physical strength to deal with fast tricky wide players.
The decision and passing abilities of a holding midfielder.
The natural skills and delivery of a winger.
Now with the passing abilities of a midfielder.
So an all round player with the engine of a F1 car.
A big ask when still no evidence of a defensive coach in position yet.
Believe a good defensive coach can develop players into the role expected, yet we have seemed to ignore this, yet expect to get the quality required to fulfil the role expected from the player.
Still both young enough to adapt still but we want that quality here and now still.
We remain without cover for that role still and think Ralston and Taylor are good enough cover atm and hope improvements can be sought for there current positions while they might develop into the required standard we hope for.

As someone who has bashed him I would agree 🤣....easy to criticise a player when you're sitting on your arse watching on telly. There is no doubting he gives 100%....and he would be a stand out at any other team in scotland. Just don't think he's celtic quality. We need a RB who's composed on the ball. He makes the wrong decision to many times and puts us under pressure far to often....again, no faulting his desire but not good enough for Celtic.....IMO
[/QUOTE]
Sorry Lubo ...watched him at St Johnstone hoped to see his coaching at Celtic made him much improved... was very poor and was no stand out.

Look at what we want from a full back nowadays, mag 7.
Needs to have the aireal power of a CH for the deep crosses.
Speed and physical strength to deal with fast tricky wide players.
The decision and passing abilities of a holding midfielder.
The natural skills and delivery of a winger.
Now with the passing abilities of a midfielder.
So an all round player with the engine of a F1 car.
A big ask when still no evidence of a defensive coach in position yet.
Believe a good defensive coach can develop players into the role expected, yet we have seemed to ignore this, yet expect to get the quality required to fulfil the role expected from the player.
Still both young enough to adapt still but we want that quality here and now still.
We remain without cover for that role still and think Ralston and Taylor are good enough cover atm and hope improvements can be sought for there current positions while they might develop into the required standard we hope for.
Not much to ask John just ask Danny Mc Grain 😂

Not much to ask John just ask Danny Mc Grain 😂
Very true mag 7 and another one we developed into the role like many others, yet we have ignored the role of developing over the last number of years, hence the position we are currently in.
Should have full back's that are ready to step up when required and not having to keep depending upon bought in players for the role.
Hoping Ange will address this for going forward to bring far more stability to a very important position within a team

Again, not doubting their commitment....but trying hard shouldn't merit being a 1st team celtic player....thats the definition of letting the shirt shrink to fit inferior players...fucks sake I'd give 100% in a hoops top, doesn't make me good enough. Ralston has been caught out on several occasions. Making wrong decisions, rash challenges and not enough pace to get back and defend. Also can't cross a ball....we need better in that position if we are serious about winning the league.

Nobody is disputing that we need better..it's the fact that they are being singled out for stick that is wrong...it's not their fault that they are lacking ability! They are playing with the cards that have been dealt to them...if they were not trying and giving 100% every game then maybe stick is merited...Eddie on the other hand ....

Nobody is disputing that we need better..it's the fact that they are being singled out for stick that is wrong...it's not their fault that they are lacking ability! They are playing with the cards that have been dealt to them...if they were not trying and giving 100% every game then maybe stick is merited...Eddie on the other hand ....
Sadly, we do always seem to have a couple of scapegoats in our side that the fans like to moan about (I am sad to say that I must include myself in this too). Forrest has often been the target of the boo boys. As you say, they might not be the best, but as long as they try their best - which to be fair is acknowledged by most of the posters on here.

Personally I think they are back-up level squad players good enough for most domestic games, but I would like better.

If a player is not good enough now we're not allowed to point that out without being called a whinger or a moaner.
It'll soon be a case of "if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you".
It's nothin personal to either Taylor or Ralston. I haven't read anywhere anyone saying they weren't givin their best. If we are to improve as a team then plain and simple we need better players in both their positions. They're simply not good enough.
Forrest on the other hand has got the talent required, yet plays in fits and starts. He's dog lazy and that's what frustrates a lot of the support when it comes to him.
Eddie on the other hand has bucket loads of talent, but has quit mentally a long time ago. That sort of shit festers and rubs off on other players. We need shot of him asap.

If a player is not good enough now we're not allowed to point that out without being called a whinger or a moaner.
It'll soon be a case of "if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you".
It's nothin personal to either Taylor or Ralston. I haven't read anywhere anyone saying they weren't givin their best. If we are to improve as a team then plain and simple we need better players in both their positions. They're simply not good enough.
Forrest on the other hand has got the talent required, yet plays in fits and starts. He's dog lazy and that's what frustrates a lot of the support when it comes to him.
Eddie on the other hand has bucket loads of talent, but has quit mentally a long time ago. That sort of shit festers and rubs off on other players. We need shot of him asap.

I've read a ton of bollocks about them over various social media, not necessarily on here... totally agree about Edouard though

Last edited:
Ralston was on loan at St Johnstone and couldn't get a regular start, so should somebody who can't play regularly in that team get a start with us every game, I don't think so. Nobody is denying he gives 100% effort but that is not enough, he is not and is never going to be starting games at RB once we get a new RB, in fact, I think in the months to come we will be looking for cover for the new RB and he will be pushed further down the line

I'm at a loss as to why there is so much emphasis put on this position? It's all of a sudden becomes THE most important position on the pitch and the person playing in it has better fucking good because if he has the slightest less than perfect game he's getting fucking slaughtered in Timdom.
Taylor on the other side gets it too. We DEMAND perfection and nothing else will do. Never mind if you miss sitters from 8 yards out, (Mr Turnbull) or even 5 yards ( Furuhashi San). Or you regularly sky the ball into row Z (usual suspects apply).
No, the RB and LB positions are THE most important in the modern era.
I remember when they used to be defenders. Their job was quite simple, defend the left or right side of our half. Support the midfield, pass the ball forward to the mid an let them do the creative stuff.
Not now, now they are expected to zoom up and down the wing, oh and now come infield too. Throw crosses in like guided missiles to within an inch but not get down hearted when the guys in the middle either can't jump or have heeds like ten Bob bits, (that's 50p's to you Yun uns).
If a break results from a cross being blocked or some laissez faire attacker who just can't be arsed they are expected to be back in the job description position.
Ok AR may not be the best, but if you want the superman RB it costs money, and lots of it. To me you have to play to your strengths, recognise your weaknesses an don't try an make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Taylor has a bit more cover on his side as Calmac tends to cover him when he is forward in the other side not as much for Ralston but the problem with Ralston is that he has a tendency to follow the ball when he is in an advanced position instead of getting back to his defensive duties.

Back