Brendan and views on Referees

Imatim

Cut and paste from CQN below...

CHAIRBHOY on 19TH JANUARY 2019 9:01 AM
Lovely fresh, crisp morning here in the Chilterns…

See BR getting some unwarranted critisicm on CQN again.

From fholk who obviously don’t do irony…

Having a pop at Brendan for attending the refs sum’it, then praising Lenny for his approach… who… was… the… managers… spokesperson.!?

Having a pop for not speaking out against poor refereeing decisions then remembering the time he spoke up about… poor refereeing decisions.!?

Either fholk don’t read and listen to what our manager actually says or they don’t understand what he means or they don’t want to understand what has saying.

He’s well worth listening too…

…may I point out the Brendan Rodgers made the most insightful, relevant and cutting comments on Scottish referees after the summit…

…“Referees going full-time is a big one for me, where the money comes from I don’t know, but for me it is one of the areas I would look at, them being professional.

“If you are refereeing a game at the weekend, and I think they do their best, then you come together on a Monday because it is your job. Then you can analyse and you can look at areas where you were really good in the game, areas where you could be better.

“Then you are mentored in that situation and can exchange ideas with other referees and then that preparation will give you confidence. When you go into your next games that confidence makes you better. You are better prepared then to deal with pressure and pressurised situations.

“They are not only officiating here. They are asked to go into European games with high stakes and high pressure. I respect some of the guys have good jobs, but I do think there is a need for that and there is also a need to protect players.

“If you have refereed a game at the weekend and you have got to get to your work on a Monday and focus on your job ‘til 5pm or 3pm or whenever it is, then your full concentration isn’t on the job [refereeing].

“These guys are going into high pressure situations and asked to deal with that type of pressure. If you are prepared and working hard at your game then the more you put into it then it gives you confidence. It doesn’t guarantee anything, but you should succeed at a better level.”

“You can be in a game and watching it, but when you go back and analyse it, it’s never as bad, or as good, as you think at the time,” he said.

“Sometimes these referees are in the game and make their report, but when they come away after a couple of days and analyse it, things may look different. But under the current structure here, they can’t change it. It’s about looking at the whole process really.

“I just think there’s some really poor decisions. It’s being consistent. It’s maybe highlighted more now a bit, but it’s about trying to ensure the game doesn’t become reckless.

“I’ve been saying it since I came here, when Kieran Tierney suffered a bad tackle. The safety of players is the main thing.

“We all make mistakes, referees, managers, players, every one of us. You have to be able to make mistakes but it’s about not making as many of them. It’s important to have a structure that supports referees.

“It’s about getting the right decisions for the greater good of the game, other than just protecting referees. It’s a very difficult job, we all recognise that, but it’s about getting consistency. They just need a bit of help, but it’s also about how they can help themselves. Having that professional attitude on a day to day basis would help them improve.”

For me some very salient and very damning comment by BR. The fact remains the only coherent joined up comment on the PR farce that was Thurday night’s was summit and nothing…

…what did Steven Gerrard have to say.!? When he first came to work at Ibrox he states referees had been against that Club for years… he then called out a Catholic referee… so where is his comment.!?

The fact was this Summit on Thursday was another SFA stage managed farce.

They are the custodians of the governance of Football in Scotland but at every turn we see sloping shoulders from them…

They talk about the IFAB… well the SFA was a founder member and should be leading by example and being proactive in IFAB initiatives.

They say it’s down to the SPFL and the Club’s…

No it is NOT. They govern the game, it’s not up to the Scottish Clubs or their collective body to decide on the rules and regulations and how they should be interpreted and implemented…

…that’s for the governing body, it’s for the SFA – Period!!

They must set out an agenda for ALL points raised, they should investigate what is wrong with match officiating in Scotland and put proposals forward to improve it and fund them… They are…

– Getting refereeing decisions consistent within Scotland and those decisions should be consistent with match officiating throughout Europe

– Offering better protection to players and clamping down on cheating and gamesmanship – see above

– Employing, training, mentoring fulltime referees to improve professionalism and consistency, bringing in experts from England and other nations who already run professional set ups and are implementing the latest technology

– Implementing the latest initiatives and technology – such as var – in a proactive, professional and prompt manner, ensuring the expertise and funding is available to make this happen.

They intimate they dont have the resources for this, how many people do the SFA employ? What is their turnover? What are their priorities?

Surely well prepared and resourced match officials and officiating the games in a professional and consistent manner is paramount to the SFA. Money should be spent on that before a penny in expenses is paid on any of their jollies…

Yet the fact is, as we know, they are not fit for purpose. The organisation needs to be totally rehashed… it’s passing the buck, incompetent, job for the boys culture is way passed it’s sell by date.

A total reform of the SFA into a proactive, modern, fit for purpose organistation would see 80% of the issues affecting Scottish Football disappear and Scotland’s national sport heading for the 21st Century.

Hail Hail

The SFA - not fit for purpose !

Correction - unless you are one of the many hangers on who get to sit on committees and , no doubt , accept ''freebies'' at home /away Scotland games .

The Board ( 8 members )
The Professional Game Board ( 10 )
Non-Professional Game Board (11)
Equalities and Diversity Advisory Board (11)
Licensing Committee (10)
Referee Committee ( 10 )

Some names appear on more than one committee but by my count there are 49 different Board/committee members on these bodies .

It’s a difficult one though. If you had a structure where say 10 people ran the show you would soon face complaints that power was concentrated in too few hands, grass roots weren’t represented etc etc

The SFA - not fit for purpose !

Correction - unless you are one of the many hangers on who get to sit on committees and , no doubt , accept ''freebies'' at home /away Scotland games .

The Board ( 8 members )
The Professional Game Board ( 10 )
Non-Professional Game Board (11)
Equalities and Diversity Advisory Board (11)
Licensing Committee (10)
Referee Committee ( 10 )

Some names appear on more than one committee but by my count there are 49 different Board/committee members on these bodies .

I wonder how many of them are Masons?

Spot on Maria! Glad you’re back.

I don’t know what it would take but there needs to be a total clear out of the whole lot of them (SFA) and start again to rebuild a whole new organisation. Free of the freemasonry stranglehold this organisation has on Scottish Football.

And the 11 on the Equalities and diversity board and who do they serve? Joke of the century.

Back