Brendan's Conundrum

Shadow2

Outstanding display from the Bhoys yesterday against Hearts, we've finally got our swagger back and are again bossing games like we did in BR's first season. Slick passing, good movement on and off the ball and more importantly the appetite to play the forward pass more often has returned to our game.

Solid enough in defence even though Boyata & Lustig still have their moments, the addition of Benkovic has seen a sense of calm descend on the back 4. From middle to front we've been devastating and we're again seeing goals coming from all over the pitch. The opposition can't get to grips with the pace, passing and energy of Rogic, Forrest, Christie and Eddy and even Sinclair is starting to look like his old self again.

The main difference though has been McGregor. Don't know how BR's going to make this work when Broony is back and Ntcham is on form but we've finally found out McGregor's best position. His ability to spot a killer pass over the top as well as on the deck is what sets him apart from Broony and Ntcham who both tend to play 99% of their passes on the deck.

With Broony and Ntcham we try to play through the opposition and when teams sit deep they can crowd us out and the ball ends up having to go backwards or sideways but with McGregor taking up the CM role we've been able to get in behind by taking opposing players out the game with a killer ball over the top and this has played a massive part in our recent return to form. Ironically the injuries to Broony and Ntcham have presented us with the solution to our inability to break teams down when they sit deep.

The conundrum BR has now is who to leave out? Broony is our captain and gives us the bite we need in midfield that neither McGregor nor Ntcham can provide, so does BR drop Ntcham in favour of McGregor, rotate between the three depending on the opposition or does he sacrifice Ryan Christie, who's been a revelation since coming into the team, and play all three together?

It's a good problem to have but it's a tough call.

Thoughts.

We have a few good players back to their best and maybe this would be the right time for Broony to be further rested and used more sparingly in games. Broony would be ideal to come on as a sub in games where we are leading so that he can bring in a more defensive style of play. The team have been very creative this past couple of weeks without him and Brendan shouldn't fix it if it ain't broken.

Andy
Very good thread!
After the game on Wednesday I posted a Calum ‘Pirlo’ comment
I think he isn’t playing Browns role but more Ntcham’s...and right now he looks better than the Frenchman ( and he is absolutely class as we all know)
For the time being I think Brown has to be first name in the sheet at Pittodrie Easter Road tynecastle In Europe and in all games against the tribute act and at Hampden ... in every other game the current young guys can run right over the top of everybody else
I suspect from our current squad Ayer could become the real holding / Break up the play dominating physical midfielder when Scott goes . Calum is the playmaker imho !

If we keep playing as we are, then Brown like anyone else must sit and wait for an opportunity. As far as Europe goes Brown has virtually been an ever present and has failed to stop most opponents running all over us. I'd stick with what we have, let brown, Ntcham and Mulumbu work to earn a place, none of them have any divine right to walk straight back in

Its as much about Calum McGregor finding his form as it is about the coaching staff finding his best position. I still think he needs more time to grow into it at European level. Whatever the way of it , its a happy circumstance for us. James Forrest has been back to his best, not forgetting Tommy Rogic. Recent media reports citing Calum McGregors notion to play down south sooner rather than later is however worrying.

Outstanding display from the Bhoys yesterday against Hearts, we've finally got our swagger back and are again bossing games like we did in BR's first season. Slick passing, good movement on and off the ball and more importantly the appetite to play the forward pass more often has returned to our game.

Solid enough in defence even though Boyata & Lustig still have their moments, the addition of Benkovic has seen a sense of calm descend on the back 4. From middle to front we've been devastating and we're again seeing goals coming from all over the pitch. The opposition can't get to grips with the pace, passing and energy of Rogic, Forrest, Christie and Eddy and even Sinclair is starting to look like his old self again.

The main difference though has been McGregor. Don't know how BR's going to make this work when Broony is back and Ntcham is on form but we've finally found out McGregor's best position. His ability to spot a killer pass over the top as well as on the deck is what sets him apart from Broony and Ntcham who both tend to play 99% of their passes on the deck.

With Broony and Ntcham we try to play through the opposition and when teams sit deep they can crowd us out and the ball ends up having to go backwards or sideways but with McGregor taking up the CM role we've been able to get in behind by taking opposing players out the game with a killer ball over the top and this has played a massive part in our recent return to form. Ironically the injuries to Broony and Ntcham have presented us with the solution to our inability to break teams down when they sit deep.

The conundrum BR has now is who to leave out? Broony is our captain and gives us the bite we need in midfield that neither McGregor nor Ntcham can provide, so does BR drop Ntcham in favour of McGregor, rotate between the three depending on the opposition or does he sacrifice Ryan Christie, who's been a revelation since coming into the team, and play all three together?

Thoughts.
Good points, although I prefer to see Calmac play further forward where he is a goal threat. His energy and passing ability means he can pretty much play anywhere.

Thoughts.
Here's another conundrum for you Andy .... Who is Brendan gonna replace Benkovic with???? The bhoy looks the part and the clean sheets keep on coming. Coincidence?? I don't think so.
HH

Here's another conundrum for you Andy .... Who is Brendan gonna replace Benkovic with???? The bhoy looks the part and the clean sheets keep on coming. Coincidence?? I don't think so.
HH

God only knows mate, the bhoy plays beyond his years and reminds me of VVD with the way he seems to stroll through games without ever getting fazed. His impact since coming in has been massive, his ability and calmness on the ball has settled those around him and allowed those in front of him the confidence to go and play their own game without worrying about having to hang back and cover the arses of CB's.

Leicester will struggle to keep hold of him for long, he'll be another £50m plus signing for one of the big boys in a year or two.

In fairness, the big lad sounded like he was enjoying his football (in spite of reports to the contrary).

Although it's still a short-term measure, hopefully he's here for the rest of the season.

The question of getting a long-term quality centre back will remain an issue, but I think that will be a priority for the management and scouting team between now and the start of next season.

Big fella's a prospect though

I'd like to see Brown and McGregor played along side each other to see how it works out. Ntcham is effective around the box but further back he's a liability. Sloppy passes and lunging tackles do us no favours. We seem to have found our mojo at the moment, why change it at all?

McGregor, Christie, Forrest, Rogic, Sinclair and Edouard are not good at Tackling. The difficulty is that against Dundee and Hearts we moved the ball around and we had so much possession we didn't have to tackle. Against Leipzig we need a tackler

Callum Mcgregor (Pirlo)..was fabulous on Saturday...it's gonna be a lot more difficult on Thursday but really looking forward to it...I do believe that Callum is getting better every season under Brendan.On a side note.. Hope Lewis Morgan is ok...nothin in the msm about how he was done on Saturday.

Back