Celtic’s Pandemic Economics

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/celtics-pandemic-economics/

Despite the Scottish media studiously avoiding the subject, clubs’ current financial state will be imperative to predicting their post COVID19 situation.

Starting close to home, James assesses Celtic and breaks down the financial numbers into digestible chunks.
Great piece. I'm no accountant but it looks like we are gonna come through this relatively (remains to be seen tho) unscathed. That being so two things come to mind.
Our CEO deserves any bonuses come my his way
We are in a good position to continue our policy of buying talent and selling for profit.
One other thing springs to mind. How many Scottish clubs will survive intact?? And will we have any sort of rivals after this whole pandemic is behind us??
Sorry to be a pain but how will the whole European footballing landscape look after this summer.
How about a European league for financially viable clubs, whilst allowing others time to restructure?? Sound like a plan?? Or plain stoopid ??

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/celtics-pandemic-economics/

Despite the Scottish media studiously avoiding the subject, clubs’ current financial state will be imperative to predicting their post COVID19 situation.

Starting close to home, James assesses Celtic and breaks down the financial numbers into digestible chunks.
A brilliant article. We are going to suffer badly over the next year or so, but compared to practically every other football club we will do alright. There will be a lot of casualties and the leagues may look very different indeed.

Great piece. I'm no accountant but it looks like we are gonna come through this relatively (remains to be seen tho) unscathed. That being so two things come to mind.
We are in a good position to continue our policy of buying talent and selling for profit.
One other thing springs to mind. How many Scottish clubs will survive intact?? And will we have any sort of rivals after this whole pandemic is behind us??
Sorry to be a pain but how will the whole European footballing landscape look after this summer.
How about a European league for financially viable clubs, whilst allowing others time to restructure?? Sound like a plan?? Or plain stoopid ??
Some good talking points there Weedoc.

I heard some interesting theories as to why the Zombies aren't furloughing staff, none of which were related to being staunch or doing the right thing. Regardless, the fact they're not must make their "burn rate" higher than ours. With massive debt, very little liquidity and no prospect of investment, that must present an existential crisis for them.

Sorry to mention them 🤢

Great article, by way, Alan.

A good friend and a valued contributor often refers to the sound business model of: "run the club like you'd run your gaff"

Pay your bills, do your housekeeping, tend your garden and put a bit away for a rainy day.

This is more monsoon season than rainy day, but if we come out of the other side with just a bit of water damage, then we'll have done alright.

It's no secret that our board have done more than alright out of Celtic, but I think it's fair to say that their financial prudence may prove to be extremely beneficial to Celtic in the long run.

I'm not going to get divided by whether it was a case of luck or judgement, but the most successful businesses always seem to plan for any catastrophic event and if that is indeed a policy at Celtic Park, then I'll thank the board for their foresight and imagination. They're far far from perfect, but I'd much rather them at the helm than the false economists at the false club.

A good friend and a valued contributor often refers to the sound business model of: "run the club like you'd run your gaff"

Pay your bills, do your housekeeping, tend your garden and put a bit away for a rainy day.

This is more monsoon season than rainy day, but if we come out of the other side with just a bit of water damage, then we'll have done alright.

It's no secret that our board have done more than alright out of Celtic, but I think it's fair to say that their financial prudence may prove to be extremely beneficial to Celtic in the long run.

I'm not going to get divided by whether it was a case of luck or judgement, but the most successful businesses always seem to plan for any catastrophic event and if that is indeed a policy at Celtic Park, then I'll thank the board for their foresight and imagination. They're far far from perfect, but I'd much rather them at the helm than the false economists at the false club.

Amen.

Yes good figures ! but need to be careful not to let this runaway,out of our control ,hh

A brilliant article. We are going to suffer badly over the next year or so, but compared to practically every other football club we will do alright. There will be a lot of casualties and the leagues may look very different indeed.
No doubt we will suffer a tad,how bad ? But with the guidance we are having now would/should see us through this mess,!hh

Maybe because they don’t have the ‘brains’ to analyse,poss beyond them 🙈hh
Oh they have the brains, they just choose to ignore it as it doesn't suit their narrative due to their own biases, or it doesn't suit what their managers are telling them to write as they desperately try to cling onto whatever dwindling readership they have.

Last edited:
I can see clubs

Oh they have the brains, they just choose to ignore it as it doesn't suit their narrative due to their own biases, or it doesn't suit what their managers are telling them to write as they desperately try to cling onto whatever dwindling readership they have.
Yeh ,was thinking that also ! Was being sarcastic ?wont print anything positive re us !, hh

Members online

Latest posts

Back