Celtic 5 Rangers 1 Sat 21/11/1998 Match Report

Richybhoy

Lambs To The Slaughter
'Rangers played as if it was a Monty Python Skit'
Celtic had waited 32 years to inflict suffering and humiliation on Rangers through another 5-1 win but the timing was perfect.
Also, this was more than just another triumph- it was a statement of intent.
The Celtic have felt they were being bludgeoned by criticisms in recent weeks but on their own patch they decided to stand up for themselves.
The consequence of this act of defiance took the breath away and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt Celtic are championship contenders.
In fact, they demonstrated a belief in themselves which, if maintained, could drive them all the way to the title in May.
Rangers will protest they hold a seven point advantage over their revitalised rivals, but after a stumbling, disjointed performance, Dick Advocaats players and the clubs fans would be foolish to believe their lead will remain intact.
Frankly, on this most recent evidence Rangers look like little more than an extremely expensive folly.
Advocaats reconstruction of the side has cost almost 30 Million and that's an awful lot of money to pay for nothing. Rangers were in Glasgows Eastend on Saturday, but only in body and certainly not in mind.
They had all gone for a stroll along the Broomielaw on Saturday morning presumably to help focus their minds, or perhaps the meander was to assist the bonding process.
Whatever, it didn't work and when it came time to play Rangers minds were still wandering elsewhere. Indeed, some of their players performed as though they had escaped through an unlocked side door of a home for the bewildered.
All around them fans were either baying or imploring, yet Advocaats team lot lacked concentration and cohesion.
It was as though they had been thrust into something new, a sport which they had never experienced before.
They played as though taking part in a Monty Python skit and at times they were even funnier.
The Ibrox legions marched on Parkhead expecting to witness the slaughter of Jozef Venglos's side, which had been ravaged by injury, but long before the end of the match Rangers fans had slipped into deep despair. Their team let them down and it will be a long time before they can shake of the shame of what befell them.
The smart ones among them (does not exist!!) will know Rangers would still have lost even if Scott Wilson had remained on the pitch for the entire match.
The big, raw central defender was sent off in 21 minutes after a scything tackle from behind on Lubomir Moravcik. Although his team mates protested, it would have been an injustice had he escaped dismissal. Wilso had dumped Moravcik earlier and referee Willie Young should have booked him for that.
Young had no choice after the second crude challenge and with Wilson sitting indoors, Advocaat was forced to change. Sergio Porrini moved into the middle alongside Colin Hendry and Andrei Kanchelskis dropped back to cover Moravcik.

No, let me rephrase that. Kanchelskis, a luxury Rangers surely can't afford, trotted back to watch in awe as Moravcik weaved his magic down Celtics left flank.
Eventually Advocaat took Kanchelskis off and sent on Tony Vidmar, but by then Celtic were winning 4-1 and it was all over apart from Mark Burchills late goal.
Old Venglos completely bamboozled Rangers by risking Moravcik in a forward role and holding Mark Burchill in reserve. Before too long his wisdom was apparent.
Henrik Larrson, who again performed wonders, dummied Simon Donnellys pass into the middle and Moravcik slammed his shot past Antti Niemi.
Just before Donnelly had taken possession, Rod Wallace had gone down in Celtics box after a challenge by Alan Stubbs, who had rushed back to Glasgow after having been with his wife, Mandy, as she gave birth to their second child. Rangers claimed for a penalty but the referee was correct to let play flow.
Delirium spread around Celtic park and the din threatened to bring the place down when Wilsons amateurish tackle attracted a red card. It was the beginning of the end for Rangers, who simply couldn't cope, especially with Moravcik and Larrson.
In the most spectacular fashion Celtic reminded everyone they are a powerful force and this league is far from over. Even though Rangers had fallen a goal and a man behind they still had a lot of possession in the first half, but they fell apart quickly after the interval.
Only four minutes into the second half Stubbs darted in front of the leaden footed Stephane Guivarc'h, who spent most of the afternoon falling on his backside looking for cheap fouls, and stroked the ball to Tom Boyd wide on the right.
His cross was headed powerfully into the net by Moravcik, who was allowed space by Hendry and his defenders. Three minutes later Larrson ran away from Hendry, whose positional had deserted him, and scored easily.
Larrson headed in his second and Celtics fourth in 56 minutes and Rangers were heading for their heaviest Old Firm defeat since the 5-1 New Years Day game in 1966.
Giovanni van Bronckhurst scored with a free kick between Celtics third and fourth goals, but it was no more than a token gesture.
When Burchill, who had replaced the new hero Moravcik, scored the fifth in 88 minutes Celtic had assumed a new lease of vibrant life.
While Burchill was adding to his growing reputation another talented youngster Rangers Barry Ferguson was proving that perhaps he needs a spell away fro the pressure.
His contribution on a big day was minimal and Advocaat will have to give serious thought to this young man.
However, Saturday was all about Celtic, who came out fighting in marvellous style and gave us all hope the championship race won't be a one team canter.
Good on them.
Written by James Traynor aka Satans mouthpiece.

Rich

Remember the game well, we were 10 points adrift n no one was seriousexpecting what happened that day!
Lubo was still unknown, till 20mins in, Mjallby made his debut and Celtic played with energy n desire we hadn't seen for months n unfortunately, wouldn't see again till MON came along.
Henrik was exceptional, as he was all that season n up front with Lubo was deadly combo. Actually felt the stadium lunge done at least a foot when Henke headed in at start of 2nd half!!! Wonderful display n incredible day, it was a false dawn but fantastic to hump the Huns the way they deserve! BTW, van bronkhorsts free kick was an absolute peach as well.
Dr Jo took a lot of stick but for the signing of Mjallby n Lubo he was definitely worth it!

Someone should let the Sevco players who celebrated their 2-0 home victory against us in a dead rubber derby like they'd just won a cup final or league decider read that article. Someone will have to read it out loud for the likes of Andy Halliday and Ryan Jack though.

Brilliant richy brings back brilliant memories the whole day just was a brilliant day.
I was to meet my uncle in molly malone's he was coming up from London him and his two mates,they'd got tickets courtesy of Mr mcann and had tickets for the after party.
I didn't have a season ticket so had to ask my local pub landlord who came good courtesy of a the chairman of Derry City.
Me and pub landlord went to his other establishment in the outskirts of Glasgow and had a few swifties to settle the nerves.
So got a taxi to molly malones I went in and was pretty empty couldn't see my uncle there was one guy to the left and these other two guys but you could tell weren't from here I go up to them is my uncle here they said he was down stairs in the toilet,so get a round in having a laugh these two guys have never been to an celtic and oldco game so nerves banter and a proper laugh,then up pipes the two guys we want to ask you a question how did you know to come up and ask for your uncle when there was other people elsewhere,i said no disrespect mate but your the only black guy here ???
Getting our pictures taken outside the ground then go our separate ways I said to the two boys if we don't win you'll be talking about the atmosphere for years to come and if we win you'll be flying down the road yourselves how true that statement was.
The game itself we should of taken more of them should of been 9 or 10 easy and a big shout out to Tony warner mjalby odonnell lambert larsson but lubo was the man still is and dick the rug didn't know how to stop lubo and everyone else should of scudded them more that was the only downside to a wonderful day.
They all are legends to a man brilliant day and my workmates all did the huddle on the Monday morning and a few reprobates phoned in sick brilliant.
Thanks for the memories Celtic good and bad Hail Hail

Members online

Latest posts

Back