Giorgio Samaras

The Greek forward invited Jay and his family to travel to Brazil and watch Greece’s last 16 game against Costa Rica, but they kindly declined the invitation as they had already booked their holidays abroad. Samaras’ bond with Jay was to be the icing on the cake for Celtic fans, who would reserve a space in their hearts for the player and vice versa.

“I love Celtic and I always will. I am proud to have played over 250 games for the club and to have played for the team for seven years, winning leagues and cups and had great nights in the Champions League,” Sammy told the club’s official magazine.

“It’s part of my life, my memories and part of the game I love. Until my end, I will be a Celt.

“I came as a 22-year-old boy and I left just before I was 30.” 🍀 :love:

I must be honest and say that Samaras probably frustrated me more than any other player. He clearly had the skills but some games he was awful.

One game in particular at MacDermid Park (once I'd sneaked past a real fan prowling the car park looking for a fight) he was terrible - every single time he received the ball he lost it or gave it away. It got to the last half hour his teammates simply stopped passing to him. And yet Lennon never subbed him off.

Bizarrely I thought the better the opposition or bigger the game, the better Sammy played. Having said all that I still liked him and he really "got" being a Celtic player. His friendship with Jay was so heart warming.

Last edited:
Sammy was unplayable twice a season.

Other than that he was an ok striker, nothing more.

He could've been utterly brilliant if he could've been bothered but sadly he wasn't most of the time.

Loved Sammy. Made a rod for his own back with some of his outings. Some hilights reel though. His goals bring back loads of good memories.
Would of gave him a years extension and thought we missed him the season after. We couldnt of afforded a player that did what he could do (on form).
Gudetti started well then fell away, Stokes chipped in a few but the spl was his ceiling. LG did ok.
Scepovic, Pukki & berget less said the better.

Loved Sammy. Made a rod for his own back with some of his outings. Some hilights reel though. His goals bring back loads of good memories.
Would of gave him a years extension and thought we missed him the season after. We couldnt of afforded a player that did what he could do (on form).
Gudetti started well then fell away, Stokes chipped in a few but the spl was his ceiling. LG did ok.
Scepovic, Pukki & berget less said the better.
He was the man for Europe think he had 12 in 2 seasons at one point , a big game player definitely ☘

Back