My Life In The IRA - Sam Millar Tells His Story

Knew James inmy clubbing days and its good to see a Possil boy do wellfor himself.Decent interview but nothing i didnt already know.
James English has a very good, non-intrusive interview style and Sam Millar has a hell of a story to tell; quite a few actually and no surprise he's a best-selling author. What's also interesting and refreshing is the complimentary and respectful comments from Loyalists.

I'm goin' against my intuition with what I'm about to post. I think there are some things which should remain sacrosanct.
I also have to say unequivocally that I'm not a supporter of the IRA. However, if I was Irish I would most definitely be Republican.
A short time after the Good Friday Agreement, I was in Dublin with a friend who wanted to show me around the city. He, like myself was a Glasgow man, and Celtic supporter. He asked me if I would be comfortable meeting a few acquaintances of his? These blokes were, at the time active members of The IRA.
He then asked me not to mention the fact that I didn't support them. I told him that was non-negotiable. If they asked me I would tell the truth.
It goes without saying I will not divulge any names or incriminate anyone on this post.
I will only say that two of them had already been released due to the agreement. Inevitably, I was asked about my views. I told them pretty much what I've written here. They absolutely understood, and respected my views.
If I'm honest, I would have to say I was surprised by the humility and respect shown to me. Also have to say it was a fascinating 4 hours or so of conversation.
Two of them in particular were men who could talk with authority on many subjects. We are still friends to this day.
Should've perhaps stated this earlier, but of the four, only one wanted the conflict to continue. I'm fairly confident Ireland will be as one again. But it will be via the ballot box.

I'm goin' against my intuition with what I'm about to post. I think there are some things which should remain sacrosanct.
I also have to say unequivocally that I'm not a supporter of the IRA. However, if I was Irish I would most definitely be Republican.
A short time after the Good Friday Agreement, I was in Dublin with a friend who wanted to show me around the city. He, like myself was a Glasgow man, and Celtic supporter. He asked me if I would be comfortable meeting a few acquaintances of his? These blokes were, at the time active members of The IRA.
He then asked me not to mention the fact that I didn't support them. I told him that was non-negotiable. If they asked me I would tell the truth.
It goes without saying I will not divulge any names or incriminate anyone on this post.
I will only say that two of them had already been released due to the agreement. Inevitably, I was asked about my views. I told them pretty much what I've written here. They absolutely understood, and respected my views.
If I'm honest, I would have to say I was surprised by the humility and respect shown to me. Also have to say it was a fascinating 4 hours or so of conversation.
Two of them in particular were men who could talk with authority on many subjects. We are still friends to this day.
Should've perhaps stated this earlier, but of the four, only one wanted the conflict to continue. I'm fairly confident Ireland will be as one again. But it will be via the ballot box.
It's not necessary to support the IRA in its past or disparate off-shoot forms to be an Irish Republican. It's also possible to oppose both the Good Friday Agreement and any continuation of violence. It's also the case that the majority of those who vote for Sinn Féin today would not have voted for them while the PIRA campaign was underway. The SF vote hovered around 11% in the north in pre-GFA days. Sam neither condones nor condemns continued violence; he simply understands the motivations of those who engage in it. The only time he advocates violence in the interview is where he says if Loyalists were oppressed in a United Ireland he would fight for their rights!

It's not necessary to support the IRA in its past or disparate off-shoot forms to be an Irish Republican. It's also possible to oppose both the Good Friday Agreement and any continuation of violence. It's also the case that the majority of those who vote for Sinn Féin today would not have voted for them while the PIRA campaign was underway. The SF vote hovered around 11% in the north in pre-GFA days. Sam neither condones nor condemns continued violence; he simply understands the motivations of those who engage in it. The only time he advocates violence in the interview is where he says if Loyalists were oppressed in a United Ireland he would fight for their rights!
Oppression is something we rarely discuss with an open mind. We immediately feel an overwhelming need to take sides. More often than not we tend to ignore the possibility that the other side should be allowed to express their opinion. I'm not pacifist, but I believe words can have good consequences as well as bad. It really is good to talk.

Members online

Latest posts

Back