Normal Service Being Resumed?

BILLCOWIE1958

It's taken a little over half a season in the job but Ange Postecoglou appears to be building something rather special within the environs of Celtic Park and Lennoxtown.
His vision of High Press, High Tempo football is straight out of the 'Celtic Way' handbook of what our Club is all about, on field at least, entertaining, fast flowing, scintillating football, the kind I remember watching from the Jungle back in the mid to late 60s and early 70s when I was discovering just how wonderful my local football team were, and how absorbing Saturday afternoons and Wednesday nights could be.
'Cavalier Football' was a term popularised back then when the attitude of Jock Stein was to play open, attacking, entertaining football, and as long as we scored more goals than the opposition then we'd win.
I know that in the almost 60 years since I was Introduced to the game, things have evolved immeasurably, not only in footballing terms, but in life in general, and the standard and reputation of Scottish football has declined from those halcyon days of our Clubs being regarded as capable of reaching the latter stages of European Club competitions on regular bases, and indeed on occasion winning some of them, to that of a footballing backwater.
It's taken time for our game to re emerge from mediocrity, or worse, but now, slowly but surely, things would appear to be on the up.
Last night Celtic demonstrated a lesson in footballing mastership, in a manner befitting the ethos and culture of our Club.
Driving home I heard our manager give an interview on Radio Scotland, and my initial thoughts were "He GETS IT", in as much as what Celtic are all about, and what our Club means to our fans.
Very few foreign players or coaches have 'Gotten It' over the years, not having been brought up in the Celtic Way' or in our Club's traditions, but Mr,.Postecoglou does.
'Getting It' in itself, doesn't guarantee success, but combined with vision, belief, ability and dedication, it will.
I also heard Ange say in an interview last night that he didn't just want his team to play like that against Rangers, but against every side that they come up against. He sounded genuinely sincere when he imparted that
'Pearl of Wisdom', and after that showing last night, I can find no reason to doubt his statement of intent.
It's been intoned in certain quarters that some team is in for a severe drubbing from Celtic soon. Had it not been for some excellent saves from Allen McGregor in the 'away' goals last night, it might just have been 'The Rangers' and anyone who witnessed that spectacle last night now knows it!
HH🍀

I believe its only going to get better. I said last season that winning the league wasn't always about having the best players. It was about giving everything for 90 minutes and being fitter than the opposition. Proven by BR when he came in and took over and completely transformed the fitness levels of our players, which then led on to us winning an invincible treble. Slippy did it was Sevco also. He took a squad of average players and made them fitter than everyone else.
The exciting thing is, Ange has added some world class players to our team and at the moment our fitness levels are probably only around the 70% mark. The season and the next few seasons are going to be very exciting!!

Last edited:
Good to see you posting again Bill.Hope all is well with you.Another great post from you.I,ve been lying low with health problem but on the way back.What a game I was a wee bit worried the new bhoys would be overwhelmed jeez was I wrong.The man who stood out for me was O,Riley although everyone in green and white was exceptional.Even Starfelt got a pass from me but he still gives me the fear sometimes.All in all a masterclass in how to handle Thems. We can look forward to some strange decisions in the near future.As Mr Stein said score the goals and they can do nothing.Ah! Happy days. HH.

Good to see you posting again Bill.Hope all is well with you.Another great post from you.I,ve been lying low with health problem but on the way back.What a game I was a wee bit worried the new bhoys would be overwhelmed jeez was I wrong.The man who stood out for me was O,Riley although everyone in green and white was exceptional.Even Starfelt got a pass from me but he still gives me the fear sometimes.All in all a masterclass in how to handle Thems. We can look forward to some strange decisions in the near future.As Mr Stein said score the goals and they can do nothing.Ah! Happy days. HH.
Thank for the enquiry, yes everything is fine with me, moreso, now that we are back in our usual league position, and now need to remain there, which I'm in no doubt we'll do.
Glad to hear that you are recovering from health issues.
I see names and posts on this site, but I rarely connect them to issues other than footballing ones, but it's always good to hear that someone is bouncing back from adversity, whatever shape or manner it presented itself.
Stay strong and positive no matter what, and last night's performance and result should be a wonderful tonic to help overcome any health conditions.
Okay it may not be the be all and end all cure, but the Feel Good Factor that it provides can't do any harm.
Keep well and continue your recovery
HH🍀

Awe the best to you croppybhoy🙏 HH

It's taken a little over half a season in the job but Ange Postecoglou appears to be building something rather special within the environs of Celtic Park and Lennoxtown.
His vision of High Press, High Tempo football is straight out of the 'Celtic Way' handbook of what our Club is all about, on field at least, entertaining, fast flowing, scintillating football, the kind I remember watching from the Jungle back in the mid to late 60s and early 70s when I was discovering just how wonderful my local football team were, and how absorbing Saturday afternoons and Wednesday nights could be.
'Cavalier Football' was a term popularised back then when the attitude of Jock Stein was to play open, attacking, entertaining football, and as long as we scored more goals than the opposition then we'd win.
I know that in the almost 60 years since I was Introduced to the game, things have evolved immeasurably, not only in footballing terms, but in life in general, and the standard and reputation of Scottish football has declined from those halcyon days of our Clubs being regarded as capable of reaching the latter stages of European Club competitions on regular bases, and indeed on occasion winning some of them, to that of a footballing backwater.
It's taken time for our game to re emerge from mediocrity, or worse, but now, slowly but surely, things would appear to be on the up.
Last night Celtic demonstrated a lesson in footballing mastership, in a manner befitting the ethos and culture of our Club.
Driving home I heard our manager give an interview on Radio Scotland, and my initial thoughts were "He GETS IT", in as much as what Celtic are all about, and what our Club means to our fans.
Very few foreign players or coaches have 'Gotten It' over the years, not having been brought up in the Celtic Way' or in our Club's traditions, but Mr,.Postecoglou does.
'Getting It' in itself, doesn't guarantee success, but combined with vision, belief, ability and dedication, it will.
I also heard Ange say in an interview last night that he didn't just want his team to play like that against Rangers, but against every side that they come up against. He sounded genuinely sincere when he imparted that
'Pearl of Wisdom', and after that showing last night, I can find no reason to doubt his statement of intent.
It's been intoned in certain quarters that some team is in for a severe drubbing from Celtic soon. Had it not been for some excellent saves from Allen McGregor in the 'away' goals last night, it might just have been 'The Rangers' and anyone who witnessed that spectacle last night now knows it!
HH🍀
Great comments Bill!

I'm glad to see a question mark accompanying the title of this thread; if we even start to think it's been accomplished we have a problem. Having said that, it's only too easy to feel we're more than capable of taking our title back. However, IF, and when that happens, then yes, normal service will have been resumed. Until then we need to show the determination and spirit we showed last night in all the remaining fixtures; do that and we WILL win the race. Show anything less and we open the door to glorious failure.

I'm glad to see a question mark accompanying the title of this thread; if we even start to think it's been accomplished we have a problem. Having said that, it's only too easy to feel we're more than capable of taking our title back. However, IF, and when that happens, then yes, normal service will have been resumed. Until then we need to show the determination and spirit we showed last night in all the remaining fixtures; do that and we WILL win the race. Show anything less and we open the door to glorious failure.
That's why we need to learn how to play against the anti-football brigade. That's where we drop points, although Murderwell have their own brand of anti-football that includes a fair bit of hammer throwing, and there's still the MIB to contend with. All good reasons not to become complacent.

The question mark in the title of my original post was wholly intentional, for the very reasons that you documented in your response.
I'm a bit too long in the tooth to make assertions and sweeping statements, 2002/03 and 2004/05 still haunt me whereas 1978/79 1985/86 still thrill me, and apart from that I don't earn my living as a footballing pundit, trying to curry favour and attain higher circulation or listening figures.
More to the point, I hate having egg on my face when my predictions go awry.
I have a genuine feeling that Ange Postecoglou simply won't allow our players to lose ground in the Title race, and I hope I'm correct in that belief, so let's strap ourselves in for what appears to be a very thrilling end to the season and plenty of silverware to play for, not to mention the small matter of a £40 mllion bounty and a crack at CL Group stages as well as the promise of many more enjoyable nights at CP under the lights
HH🍀

Last edited:
The question mark in the title of my original post was wholly intentional, for the very reasons that you documented in your response.
I'm a bit too long in the tooth to make assertions and sweeping statements, 2002/03 and 2004/05 still haunt me whereas 1978/79 1985/86 still thrill me, and apart from that I don't earn my living as a footballing pundit, trying to curry favour and attain higher circulation or listening figures.
More to the point, I hate having egg on my face when my predictions go awry.
I have a genuine feeling that Ange Postecoglou simply won't allow our players to lose ground in the Title race, and I hope I'm correct in that belief, so let's strap ourselves in for what appears to be a very thrilling end to the season and plenty of silverware to play for, not to mention the small matter of a £40 mllion bounty and a crack at CL Group stages as well as the promise of many more enjoyable nights at CP under the lights
HH🍀
I think we've both been round the block a few times Bill. Think we've probably been in close proximity on the same rollercoaster ! Quite apart from the fact that I'm cautious to the point of being boring, those experiences you highlight only reinforces that auld adage.....it's no finished tae it's finished.

For the 1st time this season the table has the right look about it with us sitting back on top of it, and quite rightly so.
We have been far and above the best footballing team in Scotland, and for some time also this season.
The only gripe being is not by a bigger margin at present but if we were half as clinical as last night, this title race could have been near enough sown up by now.
We have already shown that never say die attitude, great team spirit and character, and been able to handle pressure when up against everything within our way.
As far as I'm concerned no one can stop us, only ourselves, and to do that we will have to abandon everything we have built up so far, and can't see Ange or Calmac prepared to let that happen now.
We still haven't even played our strongest 11 yet this season, mainly due to injuries, yet we still don't know what our strongest 11 would be and the ability to change from game to game depending on who were facing.
Think Ange sent out a very strong message when he subbed forrest and scales at half time with the standards he expects now.
Seen and played enough football to know you can't take anything for granted within the game, but a team with such great qualities about it, as we have at present are going to take some stopping, and yet to see anything in Scotland capable of doing it to us yet imo.

For the 1st time this season the table has the right look about it with us sitting back on top of it, and quite rightly so.
We have been far and above the best footballing team in Scotland, and for some time also this season.
The only gripe being is not by a bigger margin at present but if we were half as clinical as last night, this title race could have been near enough sown up by now.
We have already shown that never say die attitude, great team spirit and character, and been able to handle pressure when up against everything within our way.
As far as I'm concerned no one can stop us, only ourselves, and to do that we will have to abandon everything we have built up so far, and can't see Ange or Calmac prepared to let that happen now.
We still haven't even played our strongest 11 yet this season, mainly due to injuries, yet we still don't know what our strongest 11 would be and the ability to change from game to game depending on who were facing.
Think Ange sent out a very strong message when he subbed forrest and scales at half time with the standards he expects now.
Seen and played enough football to know you can't take anything for granted within the game, but a team with such great qualities about it, as we have at present are going to take some stopping, and yet to see anything in Scotland capable of doing it to us yet imo.
Doesn't sit right that John, it smacks of righteousness, nothing is a given, you get only what you work for.

Members online

Latest posts

Back