Provincial Apathy

Spherical Planet

I haven't made any secret of the fact that I was born and raised in Scotland's fourth biggest city.

For some of the negatives associated with being Dundonian, I love the place and all of the mayhem and madness that inhabits it.

It's also largely unpolluted by the sectarian bullshit that is evident in the western part of the country. It certainly exists, but it's not as overtly obvious as it appears in Glasgow and the surrounding area. I think that's because the significant majority of the Dundonian population are still pretty much aligned with their preferred choice of either of the two clubs in the town. There is a decent Celtic contingent in Tayside and I guess the same holds true for that new club, but Dundee and United still have the grip over most of the football fans in the city.

This leads me to the point of this thread.........

As a lifelong Celtic fan in Dundee, I've often had to provide an explanation as to why I don't support either of the Dundonian clubs. It's not a hard question to answer as it was highly unlikely due to my parentage that I was going to be anything but a Celtic supporter. However - in the last few years, it's been me asking the questions of fans of both Dundee and United. The most frequently occurring question is: why are either club in Dundee willing to accept that they are being cheated by a financially doped club?

This was perhaps more evident during the banter years when they were a direct competitor in the championship and still spending excessive amounts of money which their revenue streams did not appear to account for.

United took a lot of plaudits for standing their ground when hun fc v2.0 were trying to blackmail and bribe their way into the top division, but there is a lack of incredulous anger echoing from either Dens or Tannadice about how this incarnation are still flouting, flaunting and fucking up the financial structures of Scottish football.

Even worse than this is, is that this appears to be a common theme throughout all the provincial clubs in Scotland, not just in Dundee.

God knows Celtic could have, and should have, done plenty more to shine a light on the financial jiggery-pokery in Govan; however - I guess an argument could be made that our own business model should have provided us with the platform to continue to be successful if only our own hierarchy hadn't monumentally fucked up and taken their eye off the ball.

I, like many, have issues with our own self-implosion and mismanagement, but if I supported Aberdeen, Hibs, Diet huns, or either Dundee club, then I'd be incandescent with rage at the flagrant disregard for financial propriety at liebrox!!!

Surely these clubs have been punished by not being able to finance their operations with fantasy income and surely the owners and shareholders of these clubs would be justified in beating an angry course towards Hampden and insisting that the power brokers of Scottish football take control of the situation to ensure fair play???

I'm angry at Celtic for letting these cheats off the hook, but I'm also becoming ever angrier at the apathy being shown by the provincial clubs and their acceptance that financial doping should just be considered an everyday occurrence and an occupational hazard of playing in Scotland.

In the next decade - the full financial devastation of Covid-19 will send a fair few Scottish clubs the way of Rangers. It won't just be the semi-pro outfits either, there will be one or two (possibly more) full-time clubs who will never truly recover when the economic downturn bites hard.

They will rue the day they allowed the prospect of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of pounds slip through their hands as sevco overtook their league positions, halted their cup runs, or pinched a possible European slot because they played fast and loose with financial propriety.

I don't believe that Dundee will be able to sustain two clubs in the post-Covid era. Fans will not be able to afford to attend as many games when reality bites and whether this is the huns fault or not - both clubs lost significant revenues during the pre-Covid era due to the fiscal fuckabootery in Govan.

Celtic will always survive regardless of what fate befalls Scottish football. There are leagues way way beyond this island that would bite your hand off to get the Celtic brand and marketability into their own domestic leagues, but the rest of Scottish football will slide into obscurity because it allowed one fucked up club to just bullshit and bully their way to some limited form of success while it shat on them all from a very great height.

During the AIDS epidemic of the 80's & 90's there was an advertising campaign which read that ignorance kills. Scottish football could take some advice from this and start a campaign which declares that apathy kills your clubs.

Last edited:
I know a lot of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd fans and a few fans of other teams. The overriding grumbles from them is endemic "old firm" (RIP) bias. Although they got angry with the attempts to shoehorn a brand new club into the SPL in 2012 they really don't care any more.

Despite them missing out on prize money, European cash and a better chance of winning trophies they just think that they can't compete on a regular basis with Celtic so it doesn't really matter that sevco are cheating as all it means is there is less chance of us winning. They are again viewing us & them as two halves of the same power base. This is not a viewpoint that I share but that is what most of them think.

Last edited:
I know a lot of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd fans and a few fans of other teams. The overriding grumbles from them is endemic "old firm" (RIP) bias. Although they got angry with tge attempts to shoehorn a brand new club into the SPL in 2012 they really don't care any more.

Despite them missing out on prize money, European cash and a better chance of winning trophies they just think that they can't compete on a regular basis with Celtic so it doesn't really matter that sevco are cheating as all it means is there is less chance of us winning. They are again viewing us & them as two halves of the same power base. This is not a viewpoint that I share but that is what most of them think.
That's my overriding thought as well, BB. Every football conversation I have relating to Celtic always seems to have them in it too..........that's regardless of what the nature of the conversation is.

I haven't made any secret of the fact that I was born and raised in Scotland's fourth biggest city.

For some of the negatives associated with being Dundonian, I love the place and all of the mayhem and madness that inhabits it.

It's also largely unpolluted by the sectarian bullshit that is evident in the western part of the country. It certainly exists, but it's not as overtly obvious as it appears in Glasgow and the surrounding area. I think that's because the significant majority of the Dundonian population are still pretty much aligned with their preferred choice of either of the two clubs in the city. There is a decent Celtic contingent in the city and I guess the same holds true for that new club, but Dundee and United still have the grip on football fans in the city.

As a lifelong Celtic fan in Dundee, I've often had to provide an explanation as to why I don't support either of the Dundonian clubs. It's not a hard question to answer as it was highly unlikely due to my parentage that I was going to be anything but a Celtic supporter. However - in the last few years, it's been me asking the questions of fans of both Dundee and United. The most frequently occurring question is: why are either club in Dundee willing to accept that they are being cheated by a financially doped club?

This was perhaps more evident during the banter years when they were a direct competitor in the championship and still spending excessive amounts of money which their revenue streams did not appear to compensate for.

United took a lot of plaudits for standing their ground when hun fc v2.0 were trying to blackmail and bribe their way into the top division, but there is a lack of incredulous anger echoing from either Dens or Tannadice about how this incarnation are still flouting, flaunting and fucking up the financial structures of Scottish football.

Even worse than this is, is that this appears to be a common theme throughout all the provincial clubs in Scotland, not just in Dundee.

God knows Celtic could have, and should have, done plenty more to shine a light on the financial jiggery-pokery in Govan; however - I guess an argument could be made that our own business model should have provided us with the platform to continue to be successful if only our own hierarchy hadn't monumentally fucked up and taken their eye off the ball.

I, like many, have issues with our own self-implosion and mismanagement, but if I supported Aberdeen, Hibs, Diet huns, or either Dundee club, then I'd be incandescent with rage at the flagrant disregard for financial propriety at liebrox!!!

Surely these clubs have been punished by not being able to finance their operations with fantasy income and surely the owners and shareholders of these clubs would be justified in beating an angry course towards Hampden and insisting that the power brokers of Scottish football take control of the situation to ensure fair play???

I'm angry at Celtic for letting these cheats off the hook, but I'm also becoming ever angrier at the apathy being shown by the provincial clubs and their acceptance that financial doping should just be considered an everyday occurrence and an occupational hazard of playing in Scotland.

In the next decade - the full financial devastation of Covid-19 will send a fair few Scottish clubs the way of Rangers. It won't just be the semi-pro outfits either, there will be one or two (possibly more) full-time clubs who will never truly recover when the economic downturn bites hard.

They will rue the day they allowed the prospect of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of pounds slip through their hands as sevco overtook their league positions, halted their cup runs, or pinched a possible European slot because they played fast and loose with financial propriety.

I don't believe that Dundee will be able to sustain two clubs in the post-Covid era. Fans will not be able to afford to attend as many games when reality bites and whether this is the huns fault or not - both clubs lost significant revenues during the pre-Covid era due to the fiscal fuckabootery in Govan.

Celtic will always survive regardless of what fate befalls Scottish football. There are leagues way way beyond this island that would bite your hand off to get the Celtic brand and marketability into their own domestic leagues, but the rest of Scottish football will slide into obscurity because it allowed one fucked up club to just bullshit and bully their way to some limited form of success while it shat on them all from a very great height.

During the AIDS epidemic of the 80's & 90's there was an advertising campaign which read that ignorance kills. Scottish football could take some advice from this and start a campaign which declares that apathy kills your clubs.
Excellent post sp

It's also largely unpolluted by the sectarian bullshit that is evident in the western part of the country. It certainly exists, but it's not as overtly obvious as it appears in Glasgow and the surrounding area. I think that's because the significant majority of the Dundonian population are still pretty much aligned with their preferred choice of either of the two clubs in the city. There is a decent Celtic contingent in the city and I guess the same holds true for that new club, but Dundee and United still have the grip on football fans in the city.

This was perhaps more evident during the banter years when they were a direct competitor in the championship and still spending excessive amounts of money which their revenue streams did not appear to compensate for.

Fortunately for us, the supporters of the provincial clubs at the time of 'financial armageddon' said fucking no way we're buying season books if you go along with the fix. It was them that got the huns 'demoted'. Despite being the club that suffered at the hands of the cheating bastards, our club showed the least appetite for inflicting pain. The self serving bastards ignored us at every turn

I've always thought and said on here very recently, for Scottish Football to clean up its association and referee's, we need the rest of these clubs to have the same appetite for change as us.

I admire these guys that support teams that win fuck all and watch guff every week, from afar though, cos fuck being them on a Saturday at 3pm

Fortunately for us, the supporters of the provincial clubs at the time of 'financial armageddon' said fucking no way we're buying season books if you go along with the fix. It was them that got the huns 'demoted'. Despite being the club that suffered at the hands of the cheating bastards, our club showed the least appetite for inflicting pain. The self serving bastards ignored us at every turn

I've always thought and said on here very recently, for Scottish Football to clean up its association and referee's, we need the rest of these clubs to have the same appetite for change as us.

I admire these guys that support teams that win fuck all and watch guff every week, from afar though, cos fuck being them on a Saturday at 3pm
You'll know from your own experiences that some of the lads that follow clubs like Morton are pretty hardcore and fanatical about their teams, mate.

Can't fault them for their dedication to the cause, especially when some of the owners of these clubs make squinty mcsquintpuss look like a model citizen.

However - their failure to look at the bigger picture will do for many of them eventually. They hang on in the hope that they might get an away cup tie at Parkhead or the midden and some of them even appear to be scared of getting promotion because of the costs incurred (aye - that's you Falkirk).

It seems as if the domestic game has the lure of Celtic and them - then they'll just piggyback along and turn a blind eye to the filth and corruption at the cesspit.

It really makes me sad when I think of boys like Jim Duffy and Andy Ritchie at Morton and how they periodically went toe-to-toe (without fear) against Celtic and Rangers (rot in hell).

You'll know from your own experiences that some of the lads that follow clubs like Morton are pretty hardcore and fanatical about their teams, mate.

Can't fault them for their dedication to the cause, especially when some of the owners of these clubs make squinty mcsquintpuss look like a model citizen.

However - their failure to look at the bigger picture will do for many of them eventually. They hang on in the hope that they might get an away cup tie at Parkhead or the midden and some of them even appear to be scared of getting promotion because of the costs incurred (aye - that's you Falkirk).

It seems as if the domestic game has the lure of Celtic and them - then they'll just piggyback along and turn a blind eye to the filth and corruption at the cesspit.

It really makes me sad when I think of boys like Jim Duffy and Andy Ritchie at Morton and how they periodically went toe-to-toe (without fear) against Celtic and Rangers (rot in hell).

I'm with you SP, i admire them but i'm glad i'm not them .....
My pal loves Scottish football, he was always a Celtic fan but kinda went with his pal to Cappielow every week cos they were drinking buddies pals, so he can happily sit through Motherwell v Dundee Utd etc
Me i canni even watch the 4 minute highlights
If there's no team on in the hoops, not interested
I even struggle watching a Scotland game unless it's a biggie

i'd love to see a day when our league was a 4/5 team battle but they don't make enough and we won't give any up. money eh ?
i've always been an advocate of the draft system ...HIC

👏👏👏👏👏
100% spot on SP

I'm with you SP, i admire them but i'm glad i'm not them .....
My pal loves Scottish football, he was always a Celtic fan but kinda went with his pal to Cappielow every week cos they were drinking buddies pals, so he can happily sit through Motherwell v Dundee Utd etc
Me i canni even watch the 4 minute highlights
If there's no team on in the hoops, not interested
I even struggle watching a Scotland game unless it's a biggie

i'd love to see a day when our league was a 4/5 team battle but they don't make enough and we won't give any up. money eh ?
i've always been an advocate of the draft system ...HIC
Well said Smelly
Mon the Ton

Lads, bottom line; the fuckin Brits like.
Starved, raped, murdered, deceived.
Same clique running our club where our recognition of their ancestors' war crimes feeds their profits.
Last season anyone? Seriously like?
War crimes, profits, John Reid?
Anyone interested in an argument against the current shower of anti-human, tory scum which perverts a mechanism falsely-perceived as a force-for-good throughout the world

didnt get demoted imo

they got rocketed right into the professional leagues, just not rocketed right back to where Rangers died isnt demotion

its still rocketed through the system to bottom of the bottom proffesional league skipping past all the rightfull contenders who hadnt gone burst by not balancing books even while in administration

didnt get demoted imo

they got rocketed right into the professional leagues, just not rocketed right back to where Rangers died isnt demotion

its still rocketed through the system to bottom of the bottom proffesional league skipping past all the rightfull contenders who hadnt gone burst by not balancing books even while in administration
Thing is though, Celtic are eternally European legends. Any other club/entity/engine room subsidiary from Glasgow were and their successive incarnations will always be found wanting by that yardstick.

Back