SANDMAN'S DEFINITIVE RATINGS: CELTIC @ EPSTEIN ISLAND

Spot on with you on Starfelt. Many are all too eager to excuse him. If it was Duffy they would all be piling in. It wasn't just their goal, how many times did he give free kicks away round the box. Moreloss knew all he had to do was shield the ball and wait sure enough starfelt would come rushing into him then he'd just fall over. He didn't learn an repeated it over and over. We all saw him shouting at the ref yet he made the same mistake and expected a different outcome. That's not a trait of a good defender. Certainly not what you would see from VVD, come back Chris Jullien soon as possible please.

I don't think Starfelt was at fault at the goal. To be honest I really don't think anyone was... a beautifully whipped ball pin point of the head of Hellender.

I don't think the defence can really get finger pointed, strange when you get beat 0-1. It was higher up the field. very good chances wasted.

On a different player, I was most disappointed in Abada today, I know he’s young but felt he was completely overwhelmed by the occasion.
Turnbull is also just a flat track bully, need to step up kid.
HH
I fail to see what Abada could do when the ball was mostly over on the opposite wing? It was clear the players had been instructed to play the ball to Kyogo as much as possible. We only improved slightly when Kyogo became more central.

I don't think Starfelt was at fault at the goal. To be honest I really don't think anyone was... a beautifully whipped ball pin point of the head of Hellender.

I don't think the defence can really get finger pointed, strange when you get beat 0-1. It was higher up the field. very good chances wasted.
You’re right it was more of a ”system failure” - all 4 markers got drawn with the 3 runners and left Helander with a free run. Starfelt tried to get across but by that point all he could do was try and put him off.
As you say, the problems were higher up the pitch yesterday.

You’re right it was more of a ”system failure” - all 4 markers got drawn with the 3 runners and left Helander with a free run. Starfelt tried to get across but by that point all he could do was try and put him off.
As you say, the problems were higher up the pitch yesterday.
Exactly this, watching again Welsh and Eddy appear to be marking no one, everyone else has a man, Helander unmarked came in behind their three attacking the ball and got a free header.
Quite a good explanation here (2nd tweet)

Exactly this, watching again Welsh and Eddy appear to be marking no one, everyone else has a man, Helander unmarked came in behind their three attacking the ball and got a free header.
Quite a good explanation here (2nd tweet)
That's pretty much as I seen it, Helander was unmarked and had a free run they don't have extra players everyone should have a job to do and a man to watch. I think that was a training ground move they had practised and it worked perfectly.

"...but ultimately, when the ball comes in the box, someone needs to clear it."

Or the Celtic captain, it would seem.😬
Correct but I would say the Starfelt, Ralston, Christie and Turnbull are all marking their man. Helander is free, as is Welsh and Edouard, Welsh drops into a space marking no one so if anyone is to blame its him, not Starfelt.
Reality is that it was a very well worked set piece from them, great delivery (Turnbull should take note), something that has come straight from the training ground. We defended set pieces very well yesterday, as we did in the second half in Alkmaar, a Goldson header over the bar under pressure was the only one they we didn't clear.

Spot on with you on Starfelt. Many are all too eager to excuse him. If it was Duffy they would all be piling in. It wasn't just their goal, how many times did he give free kicks away round the box. Moreloss knew all he had to do was shield the ball and wait sure enough starfelt would come rushing into him then he'd just fall over. He didn't learn an repeated it over and over. We all saw him shouting at the ref yet he made the same mistake and expected a different outcome. That's not a trait of a good defender. Certainly not what you would see from VVD, come back Chris Jullien soon as possible please.

Only story in the MSM who actually think starfelt had a good game

Only story in the MSM who actually think starfelt had a good game
Ok so I may have been a bit harsh on the lad. But I do think he was taken for a ride by moreloss, who has been around the Scottish game a few years now. To rewind a bit from the corner, there was a free kick resulting from a silly challenge by starfelt on moreloss. That led to Hart punching it out to concede the corner.
Starfelt should have learned a valuable lesson yesterday. I hope so anyway.

Ok so I may have been a bit harsh on the lad. But I do think he was taken for a ride by moreloss, who has been around the Scottish game a few years now. To rewind a bit from the corner, there was a free kick resulting from a silly challenge by starfelt on moreloss. That led to Hart punching it out to concede the corner.
Starfelt should have learned a valuable lesson yesterday. I hope so anyway.
This was a tactic used by the scum with the aid of the mib, brim.
Played for set plays where they felt they had an advantage and so it proved.
Knew they hadn't what it takes to score from open play and the gimp of El donkeyo showed us that with the role he was asked to do, sadly we fell for it, but was well mib assisted also imo

This was a tactic used by the scum with the aid of the mib, brim.
Played for set plays where they felt they had an advantage and so it proved.
Knew they hadn't what it takes to score from open play and the gimp of El donkeyo showed us that with the role he was asked to do, sadly we fell for it, but was well mib assisted also imo
Maybe I wasn't clear. Moreloss KNEW he would get a foul but as Starfelt has only been in Scotland 5 mins he didn't. Thinking about it maybe Calmac should have put him wise, maybe he did I don't know. He will certainly know the next time. Hopefully 😳

Maybe I wasn't clear. Moreloss KNEW he would get a foul but as Starfelt has only been in Scotland 5 mins he didn't. Thinking about it maybe Calmac should have put him wise, maybe he did I don't know. He will certainly know the next time. Hopefully 😳
Yet you could argue brim, that when a fair physical challenge is made, which is now meant to be accepted then was it a case of El donkeyo been over protected with the aid of a crowd and a mib?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back