The Elyounoussi formation puzzle 😳

cheezydee

So looks like we’re shifting to a 3-5-2, and this doesn’t seem to be a formation born out of necessity due to injuries. Lennon has said he likes the 3-5-2, it’s the one he played in under MON that brought a lot of success.

The formation allows us to sit with 3 at the back and allow the fullbacks freedom with cover, cos let’s face it, in Scotland the were playing forward anyway and leaving just 2 at the back presented a risk of being caught out. Given how the likes of Boli and Hayes get pelters for their defensive attributes, it works better for them having a back 3 defending. However, we’re asking Forrest to play wing back, and we’d be asking Elyounoussi to do the same if he’s fit? Something I’m not sure he’s suited to. And there in lies the problem. Elyounoussi was playing well before his injury, and the team were flying also. If he comes back, where does he play? How do we play? Going back to 4-2-3-1 means griff likely to miss out who’s starting to play steady again, and seems to go against how Lennon wants to play. McGregor has just came out saying how well it’s working and they’re all liking it. if we stick to 3-5-2 do we play Elyounoussi instead of griff, or instead of ntcham, or indeed instead of Taylor? We also have Christie looking to get back in to that AM role, along with rogic (who can pretty much only play that position)? Lennon doesn’t seem too big on squad rotation, maybe he hasnt been afforded the luxury as yet, but surely there’s scope now to bring out brown or McGregor for ntcham and bring in Christie or rogic, not even accounting for Soro being at the club. Maybe he’ll swap between the 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1 depending on how the game goes and the opposition on the day, and might actually rotate the players and feel the need to change it then. And what then when Frimpong or Elhamed come back, do we drop Forrest? Surely a sensible approach would be resting between midweek and weekend games do players are almost just playing once a week (easy job I know). Surely we’d reap the benefits of this as the season comes to the business end? Again I was disappointed eddy wasn’t brought off the minute we scored the 3rd last night and Klimala brought on.

another thing to note as our more critical situation is the defence, and playing the CBs along with jozo every week is asking for an injury crisis.

maybe we should be pushing for 12 a side??

Maybe thats what Dubai was about maybe we have the players now learning and getting to grips with the formation, Celtic under McNeil played a 5 3 2 with wingbacks, so most of the time the fullbacks would be leaving a three at back anyway, although the system should also dictate that the attacking fullback is first line of defence when the ball is lost, and then its midfield cover with someone dropping in with the back 3 to provide a 4 if stretched wide. Its just movement and tracking back and been able to kreep a shape, time will tell and it will click in with all players adapting easily.

So looks like we’re shifting to a 3-5-2, and this doesn’t seem to be a formation born out of necessity due to injuries. Lennon has said he likes the 3-5-2, it’s the one he played in under MON that brought a lot of success.

The formation allows us to sit with 3 at the back and allow the fullbacks freedom with cover, cos let’s face it, in Scotland the were playing forward anyway and leaving just 2 at the back presented a risk of being caught out. Given how the likes of Boli and Hayes get pelters for their defensive attributes, it works better for them having a back 3 defending. However, we’re asking Forrest to play wing back, and we’d be asking Elyounoussi to do the same if he’s fit? Something I’m not sure he’s suited to. And there in lies the problem. Elyounoussi was playing well before his injury, and the team were flying also. If he comes back, where does he play? How do we play? Going back to 4-2-3-1 means griff likely to miss out who’s starting to play steady again, and seems to go against how Lennon wants to play. McGregor has just came out saying how well it’s working and they’re all liking it. if we stick to 3-5-2 do we play Elyounoussi instead of griff, or instead of ntcham, or indeed instead of Taylor? We also have Christie looking to get back in to that AM role, along with rogic (who can pretty much only play that position)? Lennon doesn’t seem too big on squad rotation, maybe he hasnt been afforded the luxury as yet, but surely there’s scope now to bring out brown or McGregor for ntcham and bring in Christie or rogic, not even accounting for Soro being at the club. Maybe he’ll swap between the 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1 depending on how the game goes and the opposition on the day, and might actually rotate the players and feel the need to change it then. And what then when Frimpong or Elhamed come back, do we drop Forrest? Surely a sensible approach would be resting between midweek and weekend games do players are almost just playing once a week (easy job I know). Surely we’d reap the benefits of this as the season comes to the business end? Again I was disappointed eddy wasn’t brought off the minute we scored the 3rd last night and Klimala brought on.

another thing to note as our more critical situation is the defence, and playing the CBs along with jozo every week is asking for an injury crisis.

maybe we should be pushing for 12 a side??

We have to remember that Elyanousi isn't our player whereas Griff IS

I know that for all intents and purposes Elyanousi is ours until the season's end when he'll toddle off back to Southampton is it?

Long story short If Griff continues to improve and score goals then he should be our main concern not loanees and if Griff can get back to near his best then that will surely help relieve the pressure on us when Eddy departs as he invariably will whether sooner or later who really knows? And if we're trying to achieve 10IAR without Eddy we'll need proven fit and up to speed strikers

If I'm remembering correctly Eddy was the last loanee who we signed on a permanent basis but hopefully Forster will take over that mantle at the end of this season Time for Lawell to earn his big bonuses

HH🍀

Back