Tommy πŸ™

I was a wee shite when Tommy was a player.
But I was a teen when he was manager and can easily say I learned about what it meant being a part of the Celtic family listening to him during his tenure. He was the first football manager I heard speaking about footballers and being a good person in the same sentence. The football his team played was still the best I’ve witnessed. He hard a hard time trying to break their domination but throughout he was a man of humility. When he left his post he walked out the front door head held high.
A giant of a man IMO
A true hero and a real legend

We were on our honeymoon and were a bit hungover as today is my wife's birthday when I got a message from my brother-in-law telling me the sad news that Tommy had sadly passed away the day before. He was such a Celtic legend and a fan through and through. Rest in peace.

Also remembering Bobby Murdoch who also died on this day in 2001. πŸ’š

Screenshot_20230515_213904_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Remember the very first shareholder meeting afterwards Tommy was in good form but trying as politely as he could to get through the crowd to the gents for a whizz

wee guy bending his ear all the way in about the team ,,,,,Tommy stops him at the door n says ;; you start monday away down n see billy '' everyone was pissin themsels

In away Anges start was similar to Tommys as in the fans could see what he was doing and gave him the backing and the time ,his hands were tied as to the players we had but even then, we played some great attacking football
hampden not included

i feel he was cheated during his tenure both by the skulduggery of the huns ,masterton /murray and especially the sfa and not forgetting dallas and his long line of knt refs

His passing was a shock am glad King Kenny brought him back ,i often wonder as he stood by the dugout ,,,what might have been for him

But i guess to Tommy ,,only Celtic mattered ,,,Only Celtic

The photo of TB launching himself onto the pile-up after the penalty shoot-out win over Spartak Moscow brings back brilliant memories. We were all pissing ourselves laughing when we watched him run across the pitch to join in and it was even funnier seeing again on telly the next day. When I saw Gordon Strachan do an evening of blethers with Lubo (not our one - the real one) he showed that photo on the big screen and Gordon spoke with so much love and affection about his pal Tommy. He told some brilliant stories about him and the hilarious things he had said during their time working together - the fantastic humour of Tommy is something that is often forgotten about when everyone is eulogising about what a wonderful person he was. If you get the chance, I'd highly recommend going to see Strachan - even if it is just for his stories about Tommy.

When Tommy took off to join in the fun that night the coaches and senior players were a bit shocked because he was pretty ill at that time, although he never complained and continued to inspire the players and put them at ease as he put others ahead of himself at all times.

I think Tommy was a fantastic exciting player - maybe not in the very top tier of players we have had the pleasure to enjoy, but pretty close. But he is a true legend for what he did for the club when you combine his long playing career with his managerial/coaching career. He was a humble fan who understood what the club stood for and this showed in everything he did for us all. It is a disgrace that David Murray and his funny handshake brothers in the banks/Scottish Football authorities combined to cheat Tommy's side out of silverware by being allowed to borrow huge amounts of other people's money - which was never paid back - in order to cheat the other clubs out of trophies.

The photo of TB launching himself onto the pile-up after the penalty shoot-out win over Spartak Moscow brings back brilliant memories. We were all pissing ourselves laughing when we watched him run across the pitch to join in and it was even funnier seeing again on telly the next day. When I saw Gordon Strachan do an evening of blethers with Lubo (not our one - the real one) he showed that photo on the big screen and Gordon spoke with so much love and affection about his pal Tommy. He told some brilliant stories about him and the hilarious things he had said during their time working together - the fantastic humour of Tommy is something that is often forgotten about when everyone is eulogising about what a wonderful person he was. If you get the chance, I'd highly recommend going to see Strachan - even if it is just for his stories about Tommy.

When Tommy took off to join in the fun that night the coaches and senior players were a bit shocked because he was pretty ill at that time, although he never complained and continued to inspire the players and put them at ease as he put others ahead of himself at all times.

I think Tommy was a fantastic exciting player - maybe not in the very top tier of players we have had the pleasure to enjoy, but pretty close. But he is a true legend for what he did for the club when you combine his long playing career with his managerial/coaching career. He was a humble fan who understood what the club stood for and this showed in everything he did for us all. It is a disgrace that David Murray and his funny handshake brothers in the banks/Scottish Football authorities combined to cheat Tommy's side out of silverware by being allowed to borrow huge amounts of other people's money - which was never paid back - in order to cheat the other clubs out of trophies.
Cheers Bridie top post as usual I watched the BBC Alba documentary about Tommy last night think it’s 3 times I’ve saw it.
He was cracking jokes right to the end of his Life more worried about his wife and family and the reaction of his footballing colleagues was very emotional.
He to me is the very epitome of what a Celtic player is and why I support this club
My favourite player was and probably will be Jinky but Tommy Burns is to me Mr Celtic his love for his team and the people of the Calton knew no bounds.
He was a great player great manager but as Kenny Dalgliesh said he was a better man
Sadly gone missed by all never forgotten
He lies at peace now.
He deserves a statue at CP

HH TBπŸ‘

Cheers Bridie top post as usual I watched the BBC Alba documentary about Tommy last night think it’s 3 times I’ve saw it.
He was cracking jokes right to the end of his Life more worried about his wife and family and the reaction of his footballing colleagues was very emotional.
He to me is the very epitome of what a Celtic player is and why I support this club
My favourite player was and probably will be Jinky but Tommy Burns is to me Mr Celtic his love for his team and the people of the Calton knew no bounds.
He was a great player great manager but as Kenny Dalgliesh said he was a better man
Sadly gone missed by all never forgotten
He lies at peace now.
He deserves a statue at CP

HH TBπŸ‘
Possibly naming the Academy in Tommy's honour would be a very fitting tribute, seeing as he believed so much in developing home-grown youngsters to progress to the top team?

Back