‘Those of us who saw Willie Fernie play for Celtic saw a genius,’ David Potter

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
‘Those of us who saw Willie Fernie play for Celtic saw a genius,’ David Potter

These are great articles and bring back great memories. These were great players in this team but just didn't have a proper manager to organise them into a great team

Sadly my own memories start just after he left for the second time but I remember my dad regularly praising him to the heavens. He often wished to see Fernie back in Paradise.
My Dad often said, "If you think Jinky was great then it's a pity you never saw Willie Fernie play". He mentioned others like, Mochan, Fallon,Evans andTully all great Celts.HH

My Dad often said, "If you think Jinky was great then it's a pity you never saw Willie Fernie play". He mentioned others like, Mochan, Fallon,Evans andTully all great Celts.HH
I remember seeing Bobby Evans play for Third Lanark against Celtic in a league cup game at Cathkin. All I remember is a red haired no6 who everyone liked, we won 1 - 0 (I think) and we had to break OUT of the ground after the game.
We were in the new stand. When the game finished you came out the back of it into a large area which was fenced in with a high corrugated iron fence. The groundstaff must have got so engrossed in the game that they forgot to open the big gates. A crowd of lads climbed up and swung on them until they broke. By this time there was a big crush and as we got swept through the broken gates I tripped over the remnants. My old man kept me upright by grabbing my hair. Hence I live to tell the tale.

Members online

Latest posts

Back